2004 Grand Prix Quarter-final (5-0)
6%
2007 Welsh Open Last 16 (5-1)
No votes
2007 UK Championship Semi-final (9-8)
6%
2009 Masters Final (10-8)
61%
2009 UK Championship Quarter-final (9-3)
No votes
2014 Masters Final (10-4)
22%
2016 Masters Quarter-final (6-3)
6%
2016 Welsh Open Quarter-final (5-1)
No votes
2018 Northern Ireland Open Semi-final (6-5)
No votes

Total votes : 18

Ronnie's best win against Selby?

Postby Ash147

I've only included ranking events and invitationals in this list. I've left out PTCs, CL and PL matches.

Re: Ronnie's best win against Selby?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Ronnie and Selby are history.

Judd's the future and all you pathetic posters who have been slagging him for years are going to have egg on your face and I am going to be around to remind you of your lack of knowledge and understanding.

Eat your crow maaaan.

BUURRRNNNNEEEEEDDDDDD

Postby D4P

Dan-cat wrote:The 2016 masters for me. Maybe I'm biased because I was at that match. Selby looked out of his depth

Are you aware of any other frame where one player made a 70+ break, and then the other player made a slightly-higher 70+ counter-clearance break to pinch the frame...?

Postby Andre147

Hard to pick between 2007 UK Semi and 2009 Masters Final. Both close matches which Ronnie won. Voted 2007 because he made a 147 in the decider, and even trailed 6-3.

Postby Cloud Strife

I went for the 2009 Masters final, a game where he outselbyed Selby. He took on and not only matched Selby, but got the better of him in the grinding stakes.

And he also looked so happy afterwards, you rarely see such joy and enthusiasm from Ronnie after any win, which was really was nice.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:I went for the 2009 Masters final, a game where he outselbyed Selby. He took on and not only matched Selby, but got the better of him in the grinding stakes.

And he also looked so happy afterwards, you rarely see such joy and enthusiasm from Ronnie after any win, which was really was nice.

Yeah was just thinking about that. If he had the same mindset he had in that Final he would have won the 2014 Worlds too. He relished the challenge of outplaying Selby in the tactical department when he had too, but in 2014 he got frustrated for one missed black lol...

Postby Dan-cat

D4P wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:The 2016 masters for me. Maybe I'm biased because I was at that match. Selby looked out of his depth

Are you aware of any other frame where one player made a 70+ break, and then the other player made a slightly-higher 70+ counter-clearance break to pinch the frame...?

Indeed. Gonna watch it again now. That long red with the stun to hold for the black... You can see Selby visibly wincing at that shot

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Ronnie and Selby are history.

Judd's the future and all you pathetic posters who have been slagging him for years are going to have egg on your face and I am going to be around to remind you of your lack of knowledge and understanding.

Eat your crow maaaan.

BUURRRNNNNEEEEEDDDDDD

rofl

NUDES!

Postby TheRocket

Masters final 2009 for me. In terms of raw fighting/battle performance it was arguably the best match he's ever played.

I watched that match recently again and he won 4 frames on the black. Funnily enough it was Selby who won most of his frames in one visit while Ronnie won the long scrappy ones. He outbattled Selby.

Selby actually admitted in an interview with Doherty once that he probably played as good as he could play in that match but still ended up on the losing side.

Postby Ash147

TheRocket wrote:Masters final 2009 for me. In terms of raw fighting/battle performance it was arguably the best match he's ever played.

I watched that match recently again and he won 4 frames on the black. Funnily enough it was Selby who won most of his frames in one visit while Ronnie won the long scrappy ones. He outbattled Selby.

Selby actually admitted in an interview with Doherty once that he probably played as good as he could play in that match but still ended up on the losing side.

If Ronnie had taken that mindset with him to the 2014 final, he'd have won that as well.

Postby TheRocket

Ash147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Masters final 2009 for me. In terms of raw fighting/battle performance it was arguably the best match he's ever played.

If Ronnie had taken that mindset with him to the 2014 final, he'd have won that as well.

No doubt. Still amazes me how subdued he was in the 2014 final. Even more so when you know that he destroyed Selby earlier that year in the Masters final.

Hopefully he'll get an opportunity for revenge some day. I want him to humiliate Selby in the big matches. Like Trump did so often recently.

Postby Ash147

TheRocket wrote:
Ash147 wrote:

No doubt. Still amazes me how subdued he was in the 2014 final. Even more so when you know that he destroyed Selby earlier that year in the Masters final.

Hopefully he'll get an opportunity for revenge some day. I want him to humiliate Selby in the big matches. Like Trump did so often recently.

I think Ronnie is due a big win over Selby in a final, and finally get that revenge for the 2014 loss. I had hoped he could do it in the 2016 UK final, but it wasn't to be.

Ideally I'd like Ronnie's last ever match against Selby to be in the final of one of the majors, and for Ronnie to absolutely hammer him. I'd love for it to be at the WC, but that's not going to happen, so I'd take either the UK or the Masters.

It would be a shame if Ronnie didn't play Selby again in a final before he retires, because that would mean that Selby would have won the last two finals, both of them in majors.

Postby Ash147

D4P wrote:Ronnie has a combined 12-2 record in UK and WC finals, with both defeats to Selby.

I will always remember Selby as the unfortunate stain on Ronnie's otherwise brilliant career.

Postby D4P

Ash147 wrote:
D4P wrote:Ronnie has a combined 12-2 record in UK and WC finals, with both defeats to Selby.

I will always remember Selby as the unfortunate stain on Ronnie's otherwise brilliant career.

Sad but true. If there's any ray of light for Ronnie, it's that he has won 3 of their last 4 real matches and has seemingly broken the Torturer's spell. Too bad it might be too late to really matter very much...

Postby TheRocket

its quite amazing they have barely met each other since that famous 2014 world final. 4 matches in total (if you dont count the CL) and Ronnie won 3 of them. Unfortunately he lost the UK final. Their only multi session match encounter. And thats what he needs. A multi session win over Selby.

It has to be said that Selby keeps avoiding him though. Ronnie has been there, waiting in the finals those last two seasons but Selby lost in the early rounds.

Postby Ash147

D4P wrote:
Ash147 wrote:

Sad but true. If there's any ray of light for Ronnie, it's that he has won 3 of their last 4 real matches and has seemingly broken the Torturer's spell. Too bad it might be too late to really matter very much...

Sadly I think it is a bit too late, because the damage has already been done. The only way I could see that changing is if Ronnie were to beat him in the final of the WC, but that's basically impossible at this point.

Postby Ash147

TheRocket wrote:its quite amazing they have barely met each other since that famous 2014 world final. 4 matches in total (if you dont count the CL) and Ronnie won 3 of them. Unfortunately he lost the UK final. Their only multi session match encounter. And thats what he needs. A multi session win over Selby.

It has to be said that Selby keeps avoiding him though. Ronnie has been there, waiting in the finals those last two seasons but Selby lost in the early rounds.

It will be 6 years in January since Ronnie has won a multi-session match against Selby. In fact, Ronnie's only victories in finals have both come at the Masters, not including the 2008 PL. Ronnie has never even won against Selby in the final of a ranking event. That's a pretty shocking stat.
Last edited by Ash147 on 01 Sep 2019, edited 2 times in total.

Postby TheRocket

Ash147 wrote:Sadly I think it is a bit too late, because the damage has already been done. The only way I could see that changing is if Ronnie were to beat him in the final of the WC, but that's basically impossible at this point.

imo any win at any round of the World Championship , even if its the quarters would do if he goes on and wins the World title in the end. Higgins has never beaten Ronnie in a World final but he's beaten him three times along the way to win the World title (98,07,11).

Other than that a final-win over Selby at the UK,Masters or Tour Championship would be the second price.

There's still a chance for ROS for a last big win over Selby but time is running against him.

Postby Ash147

TheRocket wrote:
Ash147 wrote:Sadly I think it is a bit too late, because the damage has already been done. The only way I could see that changing is if Ronnie were to beat him in the final of the WC, but that's basically impossible at this point.

imo any win at any round of the World Championship , even if its the quarters would do if he goes on and wins the World title in the end. Higgins has never beaten Ronnie in a World final but he's beaten him three times along the way to win the World title (98,07,11).

Other than that a final-win over Selby at the UK,Masters or Tour Championship would be the second price.

There's still a chance for ROS for a last big win over Selby but time is running against him.

I'd take that, to be honest. As I said in my previous post, Ronnie has never beaten Selby in a ranking final. I think this is something he needs to achieve before he retires, and it would be ideal of he could do it in the final of the WC.

Postby SnookerFan

Ash147 wrote:

rofl

Yeah, because Ronnie's career has sucked.

Postby D4P

SnookerFan wrote:Yeah, because Ronnie's career has sucked.

On one hand, when Ronnie retires he will hold most of the sport's most prestigious records.

On the other hand, he will be widely considered to be an underachiever.

Postby SnookerFan

D4P wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Yeah, because Ronnie's career has sucked.

On one hand, when Ronnie retires he will hold most of the sport's most prestigious records.

On the other hand, he will be widely considered to be an underachiever.

Yes, and it's all Selby's fault.