2004 Grand Prix Quarter-final (5-0)
6%
2007 Welsh Open Last 16 (5-1)
No votes
2007 UK Championship Semi-final (9-8)
6%
2009 Masters Final (10-8)
61%
2009 UK Championship Quarter-final (9-3)
No votes
2014 Masters Final (10-4)
22%
2016 Masters Quarter-final (6-3)
6%
2016 Welsh Open Quarter-final (5-1)
No votes
2018 Northern Ireland Open Semi-final (6-5)
No votes

Total votes : 18

Re: Ronnie's best win against Selby?

Postby Ash147

SnookerFan wrote:
D4P wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Yeah, because Ronnie's career has sucked.

On one hand, when Ronnie retires he will hold most of the sport's most prestigious records.

On the other hand, he will be widely considered to be an underachiever.

Yes, and it's all Selby's fault.

Selby had a big part in Ronnie underachieving at the WC. Imagine how it would have been had Ronnie beaten Selby in 2014. He would have won three WC's on the bounce, and had six in total. Ronnie would have continued his dominance at the WC, with players becoming even more fearful of playing him.

Had Ronnie won that final in 2014, he could well have gone on to beat Hendry's Crucible record. That was a massive, massive turning point in his career, and it was all down to Selby.

Postby Ash147

D4P wrote:

On one hand, when Ronnie retires he will hold most of the sport's most prestigious records.

This is how I see it. Ronnie has had a brilliant career, and he has broken so many records. Yet he should have done more, especially at the WC. I will always think of his career as bittersweet.
Last edited by Ash147 on 01 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

Ash147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
D4P wrote:

Selby had a big part in Ronnie underachieving at the WC. Imagine how it would have been had Ronnie beaten Selby in 2014. He would have won three WC's on the bounce, and had six in total. Ronnie would have continued his dominance at the WC, with players becoming even more fearful of playing him.

Had Ronnie won that final in 2014, he could well have gone on to beat Hendry's Crucible record. That was a massive, massive turning point in his career, and it was all down to Selby.

We'll never know.

If he had reached 6 titles then, the pressure might have got to him to win a 7th and tie Hendry.

But I think he would have gone to win a 7th regardless. Now a 7th title seems impossible, but a 6th one might still be doable.

Postby Ash147

Andre147 wrote:
Ash147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
D4P wrote:

We'll never know.

If he had reached 6 titles then, the pressure might have got to him to win a 7th and tie Hendry.

But I think he would have gone to win a 7th regardless. Now a 7th title seems impossible, but a 6th one might still be doable.

I truly believe that if he had won that 6th title in 2014, he could well be on 7 or 8 right now.

Postby TheRocket

I agree with Ash. Had he won it in 2014 I'd expect him to sit on 7 or 8 now. He would have had an aura of invincibility.

There would be no way his World Championship record would have been as rubbish as it is in recent time. But at the same time that 2014 loss shouldn't really be an excuse.

Higgins took his defeat in 2017 as an extra motiviation to reach two more World finals. Even if he hasnt won any of them. But it was a good example of fighting spirit.

Postby Ash147

TheRocket wrote:I agree with Ash. Had he won it in 2014 I'd expect him to sit on 7 or 8 now. He would have had an aura of invincibility.

There would be no way his World Championship record would have been as rubbish as it is in recent time. But at the same time that 2014 loss shouldn't really be an excuse.

Higgins took his defeat in 2017 as an extra motiviation to reach two more World finals. Even if he hasnt won any of them. But it was a good example of fighting spirit.

The 2014 loss really did seem to damage him, at least when he plays at the Crucible. Not only did it seem to destroy all of his confidence, but he lost that aura of invincibility, which in turn gave his opponents new found confidence when playing him.

Ronnie still has the game, we've seen that over the past few seasons in the events he has won. If only he could transfer that over to the World Championship. I really do believe that ship has sailed though.

Postby chengdufan

So the 2009 Masters Final topped this poll last year.
Does this year's World Championship Semi beat it?

Postby TheRocket

chengdufan wrote:So the 2014 Masters Final topped this poll last year.

Yes, this years World semifinal beats it comfortably.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:

It's not even up for debate is it? Biggest tournament of them all, semi-final stage and the amazing way he did it.

Postby D4P

I think it's fair to say that the recent win over Selby was one of the very best of Ronnie's career period, not just against Selby.

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

It's not even up for debate is it? Biggest tournament of them all, semi-final stage and the amazing way he did it.

if he had lost in the final to Wilson it might be up to debate. Selby beat ROS in the 2010 WC but lost to Dott in the semis. Thats why that 2010 match is barely remembered among the biggest matches they've had in this rivalry even though it was a big match of course.

But Ronnie beat Selby in the 2nd biggest match there is in Snooker (a World semi final) and went on to win the World title so was able to back up his win.

Postby mantorok

TheRocket wrote:
Ash147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Masters final 2009 for me. In terms of raw fighting/battle performance it was arguably the best match he's ever played.

I watched that match recently again and he won 4 frames on the black. Funnily enough it was Selby who won most of his frames in one visit while Ronnie won the long scrappy ones. He outbattled Selby.

Selby actually admitted in an interview with Doherty once that he probably played as good as he could play in that match but still ended up on the losing side.

If Ronnie had taken that mindset with him to the 2014 final, he'd have won that as well.

No doubt. Still amazes me how subdued he was in the 2014 final. Even more so when you know that he destroyed Selby earlier that year in the Masters final.

Hopefully he'll get an opportunity for revenge some day. I want him to humiliate Selby in the big matches. Like Trump did so often recently.

Think we can tick this one off the list now :-)

Postby TheRocket

mantorok wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
No doubt. Still amazes me how subdued he was in the 2014 final. Even more so when you know that he destroyed Selby earlier that year in the Masters final.

Hopefully he'll get an opportunity for revenge some day. I want him to humiliate Selby in the big matches. Like Trump did so often recently.

Think we can tick this one off the list now :-)

:goodpost: