64%
Neil Robertson
7%
Shaun Murphy
No votes
Stephen Lee
14%

Total votes : 14

Re: Which player has/had the most cue power?

Postby Johnny Bravo

I voted for Trump, but given that Jimmy did some similar shots to Judd on thicker cloths, he might be even better.
IMO the guys with the most cue power seem to be the ones with long hands that allows them a longer back swing, thus generating more momentum into the cueball.

Regarding the Ronnie remark, he has cue power, but he's not in the same league as these guys. He had more into his 20's due to the fact that he used a different bridge, meaning he had more distance between the place he'd put his hand on the table and where the cueball was situated.

Postby TheRocket

Johnny Bravo wrote:I voted for Trump, but given that Jimmy did some similar shots to Judd on thicker cloths, he might be even better.
IMO the guys with the most cue power seem to be the ones with long hands that allows them a longer back swing, thus generating more momentum into the cueball.

Regarding the Ronnie remark, he has cue power, but he's not in the same league as these guys. He had more into his 20's due to the fact that he used a different bridge, meaning he had more distance between the place he'd put his hand on the table and where the cueball was situated.

Thats a good point. Indeed. And another thing where Reardon played the main role. As you say. Ronnies cue action in the early 00's had been different. More distance between cue ball and bridge hand and thus a superior power game. And it had to be that way as he was purely relying on his breakbuilding and potting ability.

Reardon though completely transformed his game. I dont know if Reardon told him directly to change his cue action but no doubt he is the key factor behind it. Maybe it even happened naturally as he taught ROS the safety game and the finesse shots where a more compact cue action is needed.

Postby Ash147

I've noticed that since Shaun Murphy got back with Chris Henry, his bridge hand has been closer to the cue ball. I don't think this is a coincidence as to why he's been playing better since then. His cue ball control seems to have improved a lot lately, and it is likely down to this.

Postby Dan-cat

Ash147 wrote:I've noticed that since Shaun Murphy got back with Chris Henry, his bridge hand has been closer to the cue ball. I don't think this is a coincidence as to why he's been playing better since then. His cue ball control seems to have improved a lot lately, and it is likely down to this.

Yes I think he mentioned he changed that during his China presser.

Postby TheRocket

In the end its probably cost-benefit considerations. With a closer bridge you have a tighter cue ball control and better touch around the black or pink spot, playing little stuns,screws and stuff like that. But too close means weak cue power and not getting through the cue ball as well when you play mid distance or long pots. Or playing a powerful split.

As it usually is. The best solution is somewhere in the middle. Thats why I prefer Ronnies cue action over most of the other players. Its the perfect balance between power and finesse game.

Postby Dan-cat

TheRocket wrote:In the end its probably cost-benefit considerations. With a closer bridge you have a tighter cue ball control and better touch around the black or pink spot, playing little stuns,screws and stuff like that. But too close means weak cue power and not getting through the cue ball as well when you play mid distance or long pots. Or playing a powerful split.

As it usually is. The best solution is somewhere in the middle. Thats why I prefer Ronnies cue action over most of the other players. Its the perfect balance between power and finesse game.

Great post.

Postby Ash147

TheRocket wrote:In the end its probably cost-benefit considerations. With a closer bridge you have a tighter cue ball control and better touch around the black or pink spot, playing little stuns,screws and stuff like that. But too close means weak cue power and not getting through the cue ball as well when you play mid distance or long pots. Or playing a powerful split.

This is why I always have to disagree when people say that Neil Robertson has the best cue action. He has a very straight cue action, but his bridge is very long. This is obvious from his break building, as his cue ball control isn't the best, and he has to play a lot more recovery shots than some of the other top players. Fortunately he is a very good potter, but there's only so many recovery shots you can play before you break down.

I think Ronnie has the best cue action, because as TheRocket points out he's got a great balance of shots, and most importantly his cue ball control is the best in the business.

Postby Iranu

I sometimes think commentators mean “most textbook” cue action when they say “best cue action”.

Surely the best cue actions are the most successful cue actions? Some may look nicer than others but that doesn’t mean they’re better.

If looks = quality the Dreamboat would be the most successful player of our time ;-)

Postby Ash147

Iranu wrote:I sometimes think commentators mean “most textbook” cue action when they say “best cue action”.

Surely the best cue actions are the most successful cue actions? Some may look nicer than others but that doesn’t mean they’re better.

If looks = quality the Dreamboat would be the most successful player of our time ;-)

Gay.

Postby vodkadiet1

Joe Johnson should be on the list. Some of his screw backs in the 1986 World Championships were the stuff of legend. And on those thick cloths.