Post a reply

What does Ronnie O'Sullivan have to do to end all debate on who is the greatest?

Beat/Equal Hendry's world titles
56%
Beat/Equal Hendry's ranking titles
19%
Both
26%

Total votes : 27

Re: What does Ronnie O'Sullivan have to do to end all debate

Postby Pink Ball

gallantrabbit wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:Sorry but I don't agree. If any other top player came out with that tosh, plus all the other cr@p about 'numpties' most of you would be all over him. Because Ronnie can back it up on the table and the authorities and many supporters pamper him because they're scared he's going to run off to a pig farm again, he can come out with what he wants and disrespect the majority of the players? Top players in all sports are a little arrogant - nothing wrong with that but O'sullivan is just a spoilt kid.

Do you remember Alex Higgins? Go watch some interviews with him on youtube. He made Ronnie look like a saint. Alex was a lot more arrogant than Ronnie. And Alex was very, very popular.

The thing Ronnie said, sounds like something Stephen Hendry would have said back in the day.

Ronnie does good things as well. After a match he usually has good things to say about his opponents and he has said some very good things about players like Selby, Higgins, Robertson, Trump, Ding... He gives high praise to these players a lot. He's also one of the few players who doesn't have a tantrum when he has a bad run of the balls or "bad luck" or even when he has a kick.. Also remember when he hugged Ding when he was crying and told the crowd to stop shouting at Ding? Or when he gave away his cue to a young fan in the crowd? He's not all bad.

Higgins was my absolute hero. Then I met him...
And he couldn't back it up on the table very often. He was either amazing or pretty poor. Ronnie is far more consistent. Hendry may have made the odd throwaway comment but not a sustained campaign including a video. All a little pathetic imo.

Sullivan is a good guy at heart in my opinion, just a bit silly at times. Alex Higgins was arguably the worst human being ever involved with snooker.

Jimmy White is super likeable. A bit messy with drink, but top notch otherwise.

Postby gallantrabbit

Pink Ball wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:Sorry but I don't agree. If any other top player came out with that tosh, plus all the other cr@p about 'numpties' most of you would be all over him. Because Ronnie can back it up on the table and the authorities and many supporters pamper him because they're scared he's going to run off to a pig farm again, he can come out with what he wants and disrespect the majority of the players? Top players in all sports are a little arrogant - nothing wrong with that but O'sullivan is just a spoilt kid.

Do you remember Alex Higgins? Go watch some interviews with him on youtube. He made Ronnie look like a saint. Alex was a lot more arrogant than Ronnie. And Alex was very, very popular.

The thing Ronnie said, sounds like something Stephen Hendry would have said back in the day.

Ronnie does good things as well. After a match he usually has good things to say about his opponents and he has said some very good things about players like Selby, Higgins, Robertson, Trump, Ding... He gives high praise to these players a lot. He's also one of the few players who doesn't have a tantrum when he has a bad run of the balls or "bad luck" or even when he has a kick.. Also remember when he hugged Ding when he was crying and told the crowd to stop shouting at Ding? Or when he gave away his cue to a young fan in the crowd? He's not all bad.

Higgins was my absolute hero. Then I met him...
And he couldn't back it up on the table very often. He was either amazing or pretty poor. Ronnie is far more consistent. Hendry may have made the odd throwaway comment but not a sustained campaign including a video. All a little pathetic imo.

Sullivan is a good guy at heart in my opinion, just a bit silly at times. Alex Higgins was arguably the worst human being ever involved with snooker.

Jimmy White is super likeable. A bit messy with drink, but top notch otherwise.

Jimmy White is a great lad. Not an enemy in the world. Ronnie can be a charmer but loves being antagonistic too. Takes all sorts of course. Just not the sort of fellow I`d go for a cup of coffee with.

Postby gallantrabbit

Pink Ball wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:Sure you`re right. Good to see Mark King describe him as a `tool` though :clap: :clap:

No love lost there.
King is a character and a half.

Better than treating him like a god a la Williams. King knows he`s not in the same class, but he`s not going to sit there letting Ronnie bash up other players either.

Postby Pink Ball

gallantrabbit wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:Sure you`re right. Good to see Mark King describe him as a `tool` though :clap: :clap:

No love lost there.

Better than treating him like a god a la Williams. King knows he`s not in the same class, but he`s not going to sit there letting Ronnie bash up other players either.

I find Williams' fawning over Sullivan embarrassing.

Postby Andre147

Pink Ball wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

No love lost there.

That's one of the reasons Ronnie has such an advantage in the h2h against him.

Postby TheRocket

O'Sullivan doesnt give a rubbish what other players think of him. Thats an attitude he has in common with Stephen Hendry who was also quite arrogant in his prime and didnt have much respect for the lower ranked players. He was the best and had no intention to hide it.

I think many players out there dislike O'Sullivan and don't really rate him highly a person. But they respect and fear him as a player. And if I was a topplayer I'd rather have it this way than the other way around right?

And what a coincidence ,those two arrogant men are probably the two greatest players of all time.
Last edited by TheRocket on 24 Nov 2017, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

No love lost there.

Fawning is probably the wrong word, I doubt Williams would fawn over Ronnie, especially with their past history. Williams has always struck me as an honest person and a straight talker.

If he says Ronnie is bigger than the sport, it's because he genuinely believes it.

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

No love lost there.

Fawning is probably the wrong word, I doubt Williams would fawn over Ronnie, especially with their past history. Williams has always struck me as an honest person and a straight talker.

If he says Ronnie is bigger than the sport, it's because he genuinely believes it.

He certainly doesn't fawn over him as a person. Williams is too cool for that, as you suggest. He certainly does fawn over him as a player.

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:No love lost there.

He certainly doesn't fawn over him as a person. Williams is too cool for that, as you suggest. He certainly does fawn over him as a player.

Nothing wrong with that.

You can take him or leave as a person, but Ronnie's snooker is certainly worthy of "fawning over". Williams is not alone in that so I'm not sure why he's getting stick, tbh.

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:

Nothing wrong with that.

You can take him or leave as a person, but Ronnie's snooker is certainly worthy of "fawning over". Williams is not alone in that so I'm not sure why he's getting stick, tbh.

Of course it is. He's the Senna of snooker.

But while I'm sure the likes of Selby and Higgins admire and respect Sullivan's Snooker, they couldn't be accused of fawning over it. They play in a way and with a mentality that gives them the best possible chance of winning. Williams doesn't. He's a fawner. He's not the only culprit, but he's probably the highest profile fawner.

Postby Johnny Bravo

vodkadiet wrote:The same as any other sport. He needs to beat all the relevant records. And century breaks isn't one of them.
:td: :td: :td:

I'm starting to think u have a few loose screws in your head since all that comes out of your mouth is this nonsense about records and titles.

Joe Davis has 15 World Titles, yet he is not better than Ronnie, Hendry, both Higgins, S. Davis, Willo, White, Ding, Selbo, etc.
In fact any top 32 player today would beat the living crap out of him on a snooker table.

Willie Mosconi has won 15 World Straight Pool Championships, yet most pool afficionados consider Efren Reyes the best pool player of all time.

Ronnie O'Sullivan is already the greatest of all time. If he wins another WC, that will end all debates.

Postby vodkadiet

Johnny Bravo wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:The same as any other sport. He needs to beat all the relevant records. And century breaks isn't one of them.

I'm starting to think u have a few loose screws in your head since all that comes out of your mouth is this nonsense about records and titles.

Joe Davis has 15 World Titles, yet he is not better than Ronnie, Hendry, both Higgins, S. Davis, Willo, White, Ding, Selbo, etc.
In fact any top 32 player today would beat the living crap out of him on a snooker table.

Willie Mosconi has won 15 World Straight Pool Championships, yet most pool afficionados consider Efren Reyes the best pool player of all time.

Ronnie O'Sullivan is already the greatest of all time. If he wins another WC, that will end all debates.

I am beginning to think you are O'Sullivan's partner. Your desperation to haul him to the top of the tree in the best ever debate, without having the necessary titles means no other conclusion can be drawn.

Postby Johnny Bravo

vodkadiet wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

I am beginning to think you are O'Sullivan's partner. Your desperation to haul him to the top of the tree in the best ever debate, without having the necessary titles means no other conclusion can be drawn.

He has enough titles, he doesn't need to have the most to be the greatest.

In many sports, the records have been set decades ago due those sports being underdeveloped and less competitive than in the modern era.
Nobody will ever top Pele's 3 World Cups, yet that doesn't mean he will always be the greatest. Maradona, Ronaldo Fenomeno, Ronaldinho, Messi, Zico - they are all better than Pele ever was.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Ash147 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Vodka once said Rocky Marciano was the greatest heavyweight boxer of all times <doh> <laugh>

I suppose on paper he's up there. Undefeated and 43 of his 49 wins were KO's.

If you know nothing about boxing, yes.

If you know something about boxing you know he fought old men way past their prime. And people like Ali would have knocked him out.

I think Vodka even said Marciano was the greatest fighter full stop. Which is even more stupid.