Post a reply

Has Mark Selby become an All time great after winning the World Championship for a second time?

yes
59%
no
41%

Total votes : 32

Re: Is Selby an All time Great now?

Postby SnookerFan

Alex0paul wrote:What does he need to do to go ahead of Williams in everyone's opinion?

He's still a fair behind Williams in terms of total rankers won.

It'd be a more interesting comparison if Selby takes one more World Title now.

Postby sas6789

Looking at overall stats I think Williams and Selby are hard to separate:

Majors: Selby 7-6 Williams
Ranking titles: Williams 18-10 Selby
Non-ranking titles: Williams 6-6 Selby
Total professional titles won: Williams 26-23 Selby
Centuries: Williams 368- 448 Selby
147's: Selby 2-2 Williams
Years ranked world number 1: Selby 5-3 Williams

At this moment I'd probably just rank Williams ahead but that could change.

Postby TheRocket

Things which speak for Mark Williams:
- 8 more ranking titles
- stronger era. He competed with prime Hendry,O'Sullivan, Higgins, Doherty,Stevens, Hunter, Ebdon

Things which speak for Mark Selby
- 1 more Masters title
- longevity
- more years ranked world number one

At this very moment Mark Williams is slightly ahead. Because of the 8 more ranking titles which is definitely more worth than one more Masters title.

What Selby has to do to overtake Mark Williams. Three alternative options.
1. Winning one more World title or
2. Reaching at least a tally of 15 ranking titles and at the same time winning more UK and/or Masters titles or
3. reaching at least a tally of 19 ranking titles

In the end he might even do all three btw.

Postby PoolBoy

Virtually a year-to-the-day since this thread was posted - is there still anybody who claims he's now, not (an all-time great?)....

I can't see how anybody can make a case that he's not right up there.

Granted, he's still a long way behind the 2 English greats (Ronnie O' Sullivan & Steve Davis) and the 2 Scottish greats (John Higgins & Stephen Hendry).

And some may argue that he's also behind the 2 Welsh greats (Mark J Williams & Ray Reardon)....
...but surely, 7th is the lowest position he can now be 'ranked' on the all-time list?

Postby Pink Ball

PoolBoy wrote:Virtually a year-to-the-day since this thread was posted - is there still anybody who claims he's now, not (an all-time great?)....

Granted, he's still a long way behind the 2 English greats (Ronnie O' Sullivan & Steve Davis) and the 2 Scottish greats (John Higgins & Stephen Hendry).

And some may argue that he's also behind the 2 Welsh greats (Mark J Williams & Ray Reardon)....
...but surely, 7th is the lowest position he can now be 'ranked' on the all-time list?

I'd put him about 7th now. But he's closing in on Ray Reardon and Mark Williams rapidly.

Postby OoNebsoO

V.V wrote:He still needs to win at least 5 ranking tournaments OR two triple crown OR one WC in order to be concidered as one of the greatest.

Interesting how he passed all three of the qualifications here in just one year.

Postby Holden Chinaski

TheSaviour wrote:This is one of these cases similar to when the Mughal emperor Babur once called mango the "finest fruit of Hindostan." Where these days in India hundreds of varieties, with exotic names and pedigrees of mangos, are available.

Best post ever. Nothing to add.

Postby sas6789

Pink Ball wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:Virtually a year-to-the-day since this thread was posted - is there still anybody who claims he's now, not (an all-time great?)....

I'd put him about 7th now. But he's closing in on Ray Reardon and Mark Williams rapidly.

You still don't think he's passed Williams yet?

Postby Pink Ball

sas6789 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

No. Snooker is a far less impressive game these days than when Williams was winning titles. But that doesn't mean Selby's achievements don't matter or aren't impressive.

Postby PoolBoy

My 'Top-10' rankings: (obviously only an opinion)

Stephen Hendry
Ronnie O'Sullivan
Steve Davis
John Higgins
Mark Selby
Mark J Williams
Ray Reardon
Neil Robertson
Ding Junhui
Cliff Thorburn

Postby roy142857

Selby into the top ten, possibly well into it. Problem for me is always where to put Joe Davis - probably honorary first and qualify all such questions with the words 'modern era'! No-one else has dominated their era so much that they had to be handicapped in the tournaments they played in to make them more competitive ...

Postby Ronnie79

PoolBoy wrote:My 'Top-10' rankings: (obviously only an opinion)

Stephen Hendry
Ronnie O'Sullivan
Steve Davis
John Higgins
Mark Selby
Mark J Williams
Ray Reardon
Neil Robertson
Ding Junhui
Cliff Thorburn

How can you have Cliff Thorburn in ahead of Alex Higgins ?,

Postby Ronnie79

Pink Ball wrote:
sas6789 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

No. Snooker is a far less impressive game these days than when Williams was winning titles. But that doesn't mean Selby's achievements don't matter or aren't impressive.

He has past out both of these lad. Reardon wouldn't have anywhere near 6 world titles in the modern era.

Postby PoolBoy

Ronnie79 wrote:

Stephen Hendry
Ronnie O'Sullivan
Steve Davis
John Higgins
Mark Selby
Mark J Williams
Ray Reardon
Neil Robertson
Ding Junhui
Cliff Thorburn

I have it very close between the pair - but just have Thorburn ahead on the basis that Alex Higgins never actually achieved official World Number 1 status.

Back then, long before the 'fluid' rankings we have now, players were ranked by their end-of-season position, and being year-ending no. 1 was quite significant. Thorburn achieved this in 81/82.

Postby Truth

PoolBoy wrote:Back then, long before the 'fluid' rankings we have now, players were ranked by their end-of-season position, and being year-ending no. 1 was quite significant. Thorburn achieved this in 81/82.

I'm not sure that the #1 status carried the same significance in the early 80s, as the World Championship results over several seasons were the only factor that determined the rankings. It wasn't until later that further tournament results were considered. This probably cost Steve Davis some time at the top, as he was the most consistent player after winning the UK Championship (non-ranking) in 1980.

Postby vodkadiet

PoolBoy wrote:
Ronnie79 wrote:

Stephen Hendry
Ronnie O'Sullivan
Steve Davis
John Higgins
Mark Selby
Mark J Williams
Ray Reardon
Neil Robertson
Ding Junhui
Cliff Thorburn

I have it very close between the pair - but just have Thorburn ahead on the basis that Alex Higgins never actually achieved official World Number 1 status.

Back then, long before the 'fluid' rankings we have now, players were ranked by their end-of-season position, and being year-ending no. 1 was quite significant. Thorburn achieved this in 81/82.

What about Judd Trump? I hear that he is flying in practice...