No votes
Kyren Wilson
2%
James Cahill
No votes
Oliver Lines
No votes

Total votes : 45

Who will be the next first time ranking event winner?

Postby Andre147

Not since Barry Hawkins back in the 2012 Australian Open, when he won it 9-3 in the Final against Peter Ebdon, has a player been first time ranking event winner.

We had at this season's Welsh Open young rising star and 19 year old Luca Brecel making his heroics to reach the Semi-Finals, only to get beaten by an in form John Higgins 6-4. Also Ben Woollaston reaching his first event ranking Final, beating some top players along the way.

Given all this, I'd like you to choose 3 players from this list who you think are most likely to be the next first time ranking event winner.

Re: Who will be the next first time ranking event winner?

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:With so many top names pulling out, I think the Indian Open will be where it happens.

Yeah maybe. I voted M.White, Gouldy and Luca, and out of these 3, I think White could be the first to do so.

I would also love if Gouldy won his first soon, he's such a terrific talent, love to watch him play, just needs to work on his consistency a bit more.

Postby Mtarsky

Surprised I'm the first to put Liang Wenbo down. He's capable of being brilliant as much as he is of being terrible. But could have a big week somewhere.
I also backed McGill and Kyren since both are capable of scoring quickly.
Almost certain that whenever a player does win their first ranking title, it will be at a "smaller" event like the Welsh, Indian, or Grand Prix. You could imagine someone sticking a big run together in China whilst the big guns plan for the Crucible.

Postby Andre147

Holden Chinaski wrote:I think Luca and White have the biggest chance. How about Shane Castle, will we see more of this kid?

Hopefully not :wave: Don't want to see anymore of that illiterate spoiled kid, who probably doesn't even know how to write his own name rofl

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:God Knows if im honest

so many top players losing and yet a has been won the Welsh Open doesn't look good for the immediate future.

You said Higgins was finished, he proved you wrong. Instead of being gracious and giving credit for a fine win you insult him. Pathetic. <doh>

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:

so many top players losing and yet a has been won the Welsh Open doesn't look good for the immediate future.

You said Higgins was finished, he proved you wrong. Instead of being gracious and giving credit for a fine win you insult him. Pathetic. <doh>

Wild just doesn't like players over the age of 30 winning tournaments.

Higgins may have been off form for a year or two, but he showed that he's not quite a has-been just yet. 128 players entered, 127 didn't win. Can't give Higgins anything but credit for that win.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

Wild just doesn't like players over the age of 30 winning tournaments.

Higgins may have been off form for a year or two, but he showed that he's not quite a has-been just yet. 128 players entered, 127 didn't win. Can't give Higgins anything but credit for that win.

Yes I agree, it's up to the so called "future" to up their game and beat the has beens of this world.

I do hope a has been like Ronnie carries on to win more titles in the future. :-D

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:

I Did not insult him i still stand by that statement even Jimmy White had one last swansong in 2004.

i just dont think the pool of talent coming through has what it takes at the moment to be even considered as tournament winners.

Take Ben Woollaston who would have thought he could reach a final he has lost from winning positions countless times and he did his best to bottle the Semi against Williams.

Postby Andre147

Well I guess today answers my question <laugh> as Cloud Strife rightly said above, the next first time ranking event winner did indeed come from the Indian Open, as Michael White won the title. He was the player with more votes here on my poll, so it comes as no surprise.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:Well I guess today answers my question <laugh> as Cloud Strife rightly said above, the next first time ranking event winner did indeed come from the Indian Open, as Michael White won the title. He was the player with more votes here on my poll, so it comes as no surprise.

Yeah! Time to close this thread down. :moose:

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Well I guess today answers my question <laugh> as Cloud Strife rightly said above, the next first time ranking event winner did indeed come from the Indian Open, as Michael White won the title. He was the player with more votes here on my poll, so it comes as no surprise.

Yeah! Time to close this thread down. :moose:

No the thread goes on and on

Who Will be the Next after Michael White to be first time Ranking event Winner?

Postby Vallomas

Having two first time ranking winners in the last two ranking events, it would be interesting if this streak continues in China Open.

However, there are not many candidates left. Day is out, McGill is out, maybe Milkins or... Poom?