Post a reply

Player of the Year 2014?

Ding Junhui
6
12%
Judd Trump
5
10%
Ronnie O'Sullivan
21
41%
Mark Selby
15
29%
Neil Robertson
2
4%
Shaun Murphy
1
2%
Ricky Walden
1
2%
Stuart Bingham
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 51

Re: Player of the Year 2014

Postby TheRocket

Voted for Ronnie O'Sullivan and Mark Selby but to be more precise, it's O'Sullivan who is the player of the year, followed by Selby and then probably Ding.

Re: Player of the Year 2014

Postby Cannonball

How anyone can vote for anyone other than Ronnie is beyond me. Really, who clocks the 147s, wins the titles, got to the final of the Worlds, led it, and gave it to Selby. Who votes for Selby? rofl

Re: Player of the Year 2014

Postby Muppet147

Cannonball wrote:How anyone can vote for anyone other than Ronnie is beyond me. Really, who clocks the 147s, wins the titles, got to the final of the Worlds, led it, and gave it to Selby. Who votes for Selby? rofl


I voted for Selby. But he was my second choice, with O'Sullivan being my first.

Re: Player of the Year 2014

Postby ANGLO

10 votes for Selby?....A massive LOL

Some seem to forget that Ronnie at 39 years old is still kicking all the youngsters butts. After 23 years a s apro, he's still at the top of his game.Let's see how many of the current crop will be able to boast that when they're 39. They'll all be long forgotten by then.

Ronnie is a living legend. Enjoy him while you can, they'll never be another like him.

Re: Player of the Year 2014

Postby Cannonball

Muppet147 wrote:
Cannonball wrote:How anyone can vote for anyone other than Ronnie is beyond me. Really, who clocks the 147s, wins the titles, got to the final of the Worlds, led it, and gave it to Selby. Who votes for Selby? rofl


I voted for Selby. But he was my second choice, with O'Sullivan being my first.


You're right, but your second choice is also your first choice, because they carry one vote each. You have voted for two first choices in reality. Now if the second choice only carried half a vote, the poll would make sense. Because as it stands, lots of people are voting first choice Ronnie, second choice Selby. That's why I refused to vote for Selby as a second, even though I wanted to, because if gives him the same vote a Ronnie, which isn't right.

This poll is rubbish. It should be redone with one choice only. They've done it this way to bump up Selby and make it look close.

Re: Player of the Year 2014

Postby ANGLO

Only boring farts like to watch the 1980's snooker Selby plays. I respect him but his game is from a bygone era.

Re: Player of the Year 2014

Postby shankly

Lol what's up with the Selby bashing? I voted for just O'Sullivan because the poll is for the player of the year and not players, but come on guys, Selby played an awesome world final, much as it pains me to say it! He was a machine.

Re: Player of the Year 2014

Postby vodkadiet

Cannonball wrote:How anyone can vote for anyone other than Ronnie is beyond me. Really, who clocks the 147s, wins the titles, got to the final of the Worlds, led it, and gave it to Selby. Who votes for Selby? rofl


The world title is worth more than all the other combined. And the manner in which Selby won makes him all the more worthy winner of this accolade. Lest we forget, Selby had everything against him in that final. O'Sullivan had won it 5 times before, he had a day off before the final, contrast to Selby who was shattered, having played 2 long arduous sessions the day before the final. He also gave O'Sullivan a 5 frame start, before winning 13 out of the last 17 frames. A quite phenomenal achievement. The best victory of all time in fact.

Re: Player of the Year 2014

Postby Wildey

Ive gone for Ronnie and Judd .

Judd Trump has been consistent with performances of late and if it wasent for my first choice Ronnie his CV Would have been Better much better.

Mark Selby has flopped a bit as a player and really the World Championship was the only highlight of a pretty miserable year for Selby professionally .

Re: Player of the Year 2014

Postby Odrl

Wildey wrote:Ive gone for Ronnie and Judd .

Judd Trump has been consistent with performances of late and if it wasent for my first choice Ronnie his CV Would have been Better much better.

Mark Selby has flopped a bit as a player and really the World Championship was the only highlight of a pretty miserable year for Selby professionally .


I don't know, Selby's year probably still beats Trump's. He has the World title and the Masters final, while Trump has the Australian Open title and three finals.

I would also put Ding ahead of Trump, with two major ranking titles, although both of them in the first half of the year and neither among the most prestigious.

I voted for Selby as the other vote, with O'Sullivan obviously being a clear first choice.

Re: Player of the Year 2014

Postby vodkadiet

The fact remains that the world title is the main event, and Selby won when everything was against him. That outweighs anything that O'Sullivan has done. 147's have been done to death now, and are a non event these days. The tables just play too easily. That is why there is one in every event.

Re: Player of the Year 2014

Postby Wildey

I see the World Championship as 17 days of a packed Calendar....yes a bigger event but i dont rate it any bigger when i rate PLAYER OF THE YEAR.

Re: Player of the Year 2014

Postby ANGLO

Ronnie & Trump are the 2 I voted for. It's a no-brainer. Even Ebdon won the Worlds once beating Hendry....so what?

Re: Player of the Year 2014

Postby ANGLO

Ronnie & Trump are the 2 I voted for. It's a no-brainer. Even Ebdon won the Worlds once beating Hendry....so what?

Re: Player of the Year 2014

Postby Snooker Overdrive

vodkadiet wrote:
Cannonball wrote:How anyone can vote for anyone other than Ronnie is beyond me. Really, who clocks the 147s, wins the titles, got to the final of the Worlds, led it, and gave it to Selby. Who votes for Selby? rofl


The world title is worth more than all the other combined. And the manner in which Selby won makes him all the more worthy winner of this accolade. Lest we forget, Selby had everything against him in that final. O'Sullivan had won it 5 times before, he had a day off before the final, contrast to Selby who was shattered, having played 2 long arduous sessions the day before the final. He also gave O'Sullivan a 5 frame start, before winning 13 out of the last 17 frames. A quite phenomenal achievement. The best victory of all time in fact.


I would like to add something here.

Mark Selby always performs best if he's the underdog. Let's take a look at his finals last season. He was defending Champion in the UK and the Masters and lost both finals. It put pressure on him, he wasn't the underdog, at least not by a big margin. Again Selby was favourite against Murphy in the World Open final and lost. The pressure reverted at the Crucible as he was the underdog against Robertson and especially Ronnie. Everything going against him suits Selby very much, he loves these situations.

However in my opinion he still has to prove he can win the majors if he's the favourite going into them. He has a chance to do that next year when he's defending champion at the Crucible. We will see what happens there.

Re: Player of the Year 2014

Postby shankly

Selby doesn't have to prove anything to anyone anymore. He's probably the player of his generation -- certainly if you're going by achievements in the game.

I'd say winning the World title puts Selby's season above Trump/Ding without question, it is the big one and in my eyes it does count for that much. However, Masters+Uk+CoC+Welsh+2 maxis>>Worlds, everyday.

To be honest don't really understand people voting for Trump. I know he is playing the best snooker most consistently this season, but at the end of the day he's fallen short at the final hurdle and hasn't won enough.

Re: Player of the Year 2014

Postby Snooker Overdrive

shankly wrote:Selby doesn't have to prove anything to anyone anymore. He's probably the player of his generation -- certainly if you're going by achievements in the game.

I'd say winning the World title puts Selby's season above Trump/Ding without question, it is the big one and in my eyes it does count for that much. However, Masters+Uk+CoC+Welsh+2 maxis>>Worlds, everyday.

To be honest don't really understand people voting for Trump. I know he is playing the best snooker most consistently this season, but at the end of the day he's fallen short at the final hurdle and hasn't won enough.


What about Robertson? He's certainly in the same generation and I'm sure many experts rank him above Mark.

Selby doesn't have to prove anything anymore? If he wants to be considered an all time great one day he still a long way to go.

However I agree with the rest of your post.

Re: Player of the Year 2014

Postby Skullman

Trump only really started playing top, top snooker for the last month and a bit of the year really. Hard to see why he'd be an obvious pick above the rest, unless the year has been so long for some they can only remember the last couple of months.

ROS obviously has got everything really important this year, apart from the Worlds and he was in the final of that and barely challenged until the final there, so is deserved number one.

PS Just seen SO's post. Although Selby is ahead in major count, would say that Robbo having significantly more rankers puts him ahead, especially as he's a triple crown winner.

Re: Player of the Year 2014

Postby shankly

Hmmm, I was mainly thinking of the majors when I said that Selby was the player of his generation, as those tend to stick in my mind. I'm not sure how much weight to give ranking events, with so many put on nowadays. I know I'd much rather win CoC compared with the Indian or Australian Open, for example. But yeah, fair point, I hadn't realised Selby has won so few rankers!

How much does No. 1 count, because Selby has ended 3 seasons as #1 and Robbo none? And matches won/match win %? Selby is ahead by a fair bit on that as well.

Can't really decide between the two, to be honest. Maybe by the time they're both done with the game it'll be an easier decision!

Re: Player of the Year 2014

Postby Cannonball

Selby only won the Worlds because Ronnie gave it to him. Ding, Robertson and Trump are much better snooker players. We all know this.

The Selby decline began two years ago. Hendry was toast at 30, and the likes of Selby (31) can look forward to a dramatic decline, because they certainly lack the talent of Hendry, Robertson, Trump and Ding.

Re: Player of the Year 2014

Postby vodkadiet

Cannonball wrote:Selby only won the Worlds because Ronnie gave it to him. Ding, Robertson and Trump are much better snooker players. We all know this.

The Selby decline began two years ago. Hendry was toast at 30, and the likes of Selby (31) can look forward to a dramatic decline, because they certainly lack the talent of Hendry, Robertson, Trump and Ding.
I

Rigsby gave it to him? I could argue that all of Rigsby's titles have been handed it to him. Superflous argument.

Ask O'Sullivan if he would rather have won the worlds than the titles he has won?

Re: Player of the Year 2014

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:
Cannonball wrote:Selby only won the Worlds because Ronnie gave it to him. Ding, Robertson and Trump are much better snooker players. We all know this.

The Selby decline began two years ago. Hendry was toast at 30, and the likes of Selby (31) can look forward to a dramatic decline, because they certainly lack the talent of Hendry, Robertson, Trump and Ding.
I

Rigsby gave it to him? I could argue that all of Rigsby's titles have been handed it to him. Superflous argument.

Ask O'Sullivan if he would rather have won the worlds than the titles he has won?


rofl You talk as if all the other titles mean absolutely nothing and only the Worlds is important. Hendry or Davis wouldn't be the same players they are today if they had only won 7 and 6 World Titles in their careers, respectively, and nothing else. Every title is important, some more than others, but every single title, ranking or not, defines a player's career.

Selby can in no way be considered the Best Player this Year because he "only" won the Worlds, ok it's the most important title of all and the hardest to win, BUT Ronnie also won 4 other titles, plus reaching that World Final, titles which were the Masters, Welsh Open, CoC and UK Champs. Player of the Year means consistency over a whole year, if no player had won more than one big title this year, then sure Selby would have no doubt been the best player, but because of Ronnie's consistency he earns that Best Player this year by a country mile.

According to an earlier post of yours, a player "only" has to win the Worlds to be considered the best player that year right? Then would you say Ronnie was the Best Player of 2013 because after an year out he came to the Worlds and won it? Of course he can't be the best player that year, and I'm sure you would agree on that, but just because it was Selby winning it this year he suddently becomes the Best Player of it. Absolute nonsense that is. That only means 17 days of consistency, not consistency over a whole year.

Sure if given the option I would maybe trade this titles for that Worlds this year, but then according to your brilliant logic if Ronnie were in Selby's shoes and had won the Worlds, and Selby had won everything Ronnie did this year then Ronnie would be the best player of it right? Of course not, you only say it because it's Selby and your blindness hates the fact that Ronnie won big titles this year.

You can say all the hell you want like Selby won the most important title this year by beating Ronnie, but fact remains Ronnie won the 2 other Triple Crown events, plus 2 other big events and like I said at the beggining a player's career is defined by everything they have won, Hendry is still the one with most rankers with 36 and 29 of those weren't World Titles. Does that mean they don't count? of course not, every single title is important, so I say it again one last time they define a player's whole career.

Re: Player of the Year 2014

Postby vodkadiet

Andre147 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Cannonball wrote:Selby only won the Worlds because Ronnie gave it to him. Ding, Robertson and Trump are much better snooker players. We all know this.

The Selby decline began two years ago. Hendry was toast at 30, and the likes of Selby (31) can look forward to a dramatic decline, because they certainly lack the talent of Hendry, Robertson, Trump and Ding.
I

Rigsby gave it to him? I could argue that all of Rigsby's titles have been handed it to him. Superflous argument.

Ask O'Sullivan if he would rather have won the worlds than the titles he has won?


rofl You talk as if all the other titles mean absolutely nothing and only the Worlds is important. Hendry or Davis wouldn't be the same players they are today if they had only won 7 and 6 World Titles in their careers, respectively, and nothing else. Every title is important, some more than others, but every single title, ranking or not, defines a player's career.

Selby can in no way be considered the Best Player this Year because he "only" won the Worlds, ok it's the most important title of all and the hardest to win, BUT Ronnie also won 4 other titles, plus reaching that World Final, titles which were the Masters, Welsh Open, CoC and UK Champs. Player of the Year means consistency over a whole year, if no player had won more than one big title this year, then sure Selby would have no doubt been the best player, but because of Ronnie's consistency he earns that Best Player this year by a country mile.

According to an earlier post of yours, a player "only" has to win the Worlds to be considered the best player that year right? Then would you say Ronnie was the Best Player of 2013 because after an year out he came to the Worlds and won it? Of course he can't be the best player that year, and I'm sure you would agree on that, but just because it was Selby winning it this year he suddently becomes the Best Player of it. Absolute nonsense that is. That only means 17 days of consistency, not consistency over a whole year.

Sure if given the option I would maybe trade this titles for that Worlds this year, but then according to your brilliant logic if Ronnie were in Selby's shoes and had won the Worlds, and Selby had won everything Ronnie did this year then Ronnie would be the best player of it right? Of course not, you only say it because it's Selby and your blindness hates the fact that Ronnie won big titles this year.

You can say all the hell you want like Selby won the most important title this year by beating Ronnie, but fact remains Ronnie won the 2 other Triple Crown events, plus 2 other big events and like I said at the beggining a player's career is defined by everything they have won, Hendry is still the one with most rankers with 36 and 29 of those weren't World Titles. Does that mean they don't count? of course not, every single title is important, so I say it again one last time they define a player's whole career.


You forgot to mention, that Ronnie would have won the Worlds but he felt sorry for Selby, and just handed it to him on a silver platter!

All this is just a matter of opinion, and you are entitled to your wrong opinion.

It is a just a piece of fun thread, that are you taking too seriously.

I could turn the conversation around and say what if Selby had what your beloved Ronnie had won, and Ronnie had won the worlds, Selby would haven't had achieved what he really wanted, and every other title would have been secondary.

Whatever you say, O'Sullivan's abiding thought of 2014 is he threw the worlds away, and ultimately the year was a disappointment to him.
Last edited by vodkadiet on 23 Dec 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Player of the Year 2014

Postby Wildey

Canonball

When Ronnie loses from infront he gave it away when Ronnie comes back and wins the other players bottled it.

Yea right <doh> <doh>

This is a warning goading other members to react with idiotic posts like that will never be tolerated on snooker island.

Heed that warning over Christmas because come january your days on here are numbered unless you take notice.

Re: Player of the Year 2014

Postby Cannonball

Image