30%
Ray Reardon
25%
Cliff Thorburn
13%
Joe Johnson
3%

Total votes : 71

Re: Which of these would you consider a legend?

Postby shankly

Clara8633 wrote:Um... I think there are some players missing who should be in this poll.

We're missing Hendry, ROS, etc.

Think OP was probably just thinking to include the borderline legends. No one is disputing that Hendry, ROS, Davis etc. are legends.

Curious to know how people see Selby? He's had 5 triple crowns (3 masters, 1 uk, 1 worlds) but apart from that hasn't done too much outside of PTCs. He's also ended 3 seasons as number 1. For me, he needs at the very least another world title. The list of world champions is long; the list of multiple world champs, less so.

Voted for Mark Williams, Alex Higgins and Ray Reardon.

Postby Cloud Strife

shankly wrote:
Clara8633 wrote:Um... I think there are some players missing who should be in this poll.

Think OP was probably just thinking to include the borderline legends. No one is disputing that Hendry, ROS, Davis etc. are legends.

Curious to know how people see Selby? He's had 5 triple crowns (3 masters, 1 uk, 1 worlds) but apart from that hasn't done too much outside of PTCs. He's also ended 3 seasons as number 1. For me, he needs at the very least another world title. The list of world champions is long; the list of multiple world champs, less so.

I voted for the exact same three as you.

The others are very good players, but not legends.

Postby vodkadiet

I don't think any snooker player is a legend, but if I had to pick one it would be Alex Higgins. No other player has attracted such attention.

Postby vodkadiet

shankly wrote:Given the context, i think it can be assumed that legends in the game of snooker is what we're talking about about here. You don't think there are any?

Now you phrase it like that, I would say Alex Higgins, Steve Davis, Stephen Hendry, Ronnie O'Sullivan, John Higgins and Ray Reardon.

Postby Holden Chinaski

vodkadiet wrote:
shankly wrote:Given the context, i think it can be assumed that legends in the game of snooker is what we're talking about about here. You don't think there are any?

Now you phrase it like that, I would say Alex Higgins, Steve Davis, Stephen Hendry, Ronnie O'Sullivan, John Higgins and Ray Reardon.

I agree with the ones you picked, but I would definitely add Joe Davis!

Postby vodkadiet

Holden Chinaski wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

I agree with the ones you picked, but I would definitely add Joe Davis!

Of course! His name is synonymous with snooker.

Postby gcjdavid

I know Jimmy is definitely a legend, but as shankly mentioned, we're putting borderline legends/very good match players here. No one denies Jimmy/Hendo/Davis/Ronnie to be legends.

Postby V.V

I think Selby is beginning to be legendary with all his comebacks. I think those will be remember a long time after Selby is done. Who honestly has anything special to say for example about Ding's 5 rankers in one season - exept the fact that they happened to happen at the same season? There is no one feature in them that would make them special. These comeback on the other hand are legendary because they are comebacks (i.e. something special), occuring very often.

And I think the comeback in the WC final seals the deal for Selby being legend or at least "legendary in his comebacks".

Postby sundaygirl

Alex Higgins is a snooker legend

Cliff Thorben made a legendary break
Dennis Taylor was part of a legendary final
But I wouldn't call either of them legends

Excessive use of terms like legend devalues them
Iconic is simlarly over used

Postby GreenRiver

It depends what we mean by the word "legend".

Is it to do with ability or name recognition?

You could argue that Alex Higgins was a legend because even people who were not snooker fans had heard of him and knew who he was.

In contrast, someone like Mark Williams, although a marvellous player, has never been someone who the general public would be aware of.

Postby GreenRiver

Ronnie79 wrote:The general public dont know who mark williams is are you sure ?. Every man and his dog knows about the 98 Masters final and the black ball finish.

Although I am in my 30s, I only started following snooker fairly recently. I didn't know about Mark Williams and the black ball final until I started reading up on these things years later. However, even as a schoolkid, long before I had any interest whatsoever in snooker, I had heard of Alex Higgins. Of course, much of this was due to Alex's off-the-table antics - the hellraising lifestyle and the run ins with the snooker establishment. Such things are manna from heaven as far as the media is concerned so Alex would make front page headlines. Eventhough I hadn't seen him play, I was aware that he had a reputation for having a flamboyant playing style and even this seemed daring in a sport that I and I believe a lot of other folk had hitherto perceived as a boring old man's game run by a load of squares.

It is no slight on Mark Williams for me to say that I don't regard him as a household name. I'd like to reiterate that I have a very high opinion of Mark as a player but I do not believe he ever captured the public's imagination the way that Alex did.

What I have said is only anecdotal evidence. I don't have statistics that I can use to back up my claim, but I can only say that, based upon my personal experience, I believe if you went round the uk asking people at random if they knew who Alex Higgins was, that most people would know but if you asked if they knew who Mark was most wouldn't.

Postby Wildey

shankly wrote:

For me Snookers Greatest Legend is Alex Higgins.

The Stories and Myth Surrounding Higgins is legendary never mind what he did on the table.