Post a reply

Which of these following records will Ronnie break before he retires?

first player to make 1000 centuries
10%
first player to make 15 maximum breaks
10%
tie or overtake Steve Davis's 6 UK titles
10%
tie or overtake Steve Davis's 28 ranking titles
11%
tie or overtake Stephen Hendry's 6 Masters titles
11%
tie Steve Davis's 6 World titles
9%
tie Stephen Hendry's 7 World titles
6%
overtake Stephen Hendry's 7 World titles
3%
tie or overtake Stephen Hendry's 18 majors
9%
tie or overtake Stephen Hendry's 36 ranking titles
9%
Oldest ranking event winner in snooker history
6%
Oldest World Champion in snooker history
6%

Total votes : 234

Re: Which records will Ronnie beat?

Postby Wildey

Here you go again you mean.

im not arguing about this and just a word of warning around here im a mod so if you think a Ronnie v Hendry topic will be the Norm think again.

Postby TheRocket

The age factor is catching everyone at some point, even Ronnie O'Sullivan. He's probably more talented than anyone else, but even that stops not the age factor at some point. I just can't see that youre playing the same stuff in your 50's and the high standard you played in your 20's or 30's, not even Ronnie.

I mean, we are all surprised how good he's still playing at this age. Hendry, Williams and many other legends did already drop a little bit after passing the age of 30. Of course, they were still capable of winning tournaments here and there like Davis won the Masters at the age of 40 and Ebdon the China Open at the age of 42. But winning the World Championship is something different, especially defending it at that age.

Ronnie obviously is a fit man, running almost everyday and keeps himself in good form, so that's probably another reason next to his talent. I can see Ronnie winning big titles for the next 3-4 years, but after that it will be difficult. And I don't thing he has the motivation either to keep playing after the age of 45 or like that.
When he realizes, he can't win anymore and keeps losing in first rounds then he is gonna retire for sure. And it would definitely be the right choice if this was the case.

What Ronnie should do now is just winning as much as possible before retiring.

Postby edwards2000

Wildey wrote:Here you go again you mean.

im not arguing about this and just a word of warning around here im a mod so if you think a Ronnie v Hendry topic will be the Norm think again.

Nothing more insecure than someone who has to start threatening bans because his argument doesn't hold up. Nothing I said could be considered a "Ronnie v Hendry" argument. Clearly, you are obsessed with it. You didn't even try to address any of the points I made. When you go off-topic, who moderates you?

Ronnie is an exception. Phil Taylor has shown that it can be done. Like TheRocket, I believe he won't have the same motivation that Taylor has.

Postby Witz78

edwards2000 wrote:

Nothing more insecure than someone who has to start threatening bans because his argument doesn't hold up. Nothing I said could be considered a "Ronnie v Hendry" argument. Clearly, you are obsessed with it. You didn't even try to address any of the points I made. When you go off-topic, who moderates you?

Ronnie is an exception. Phil Taylor has shown that it can be done. Like TheRocket, I believe he won't have the same motivation that Taylor has.

EDWARDS2000 :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Postby Cloud Strife

Witz78 wrote:
edwards2000 wrote:

EDWARDS2000 :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

EDWARDS2000 is Daniel. :bowdown:

Postby Wildey

edwards2000 wrote:

i wasent arguing i was stating my opinion Ronnie at 58 will be a fraction of the player he is today even if he will still be playing.

I Have the right to do so.

and PS did i mention a ban i said your not in control of this forum.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:The age factor is catching everyone at some point, even Ronnie O'Sullivan. He's probably more talented than anyone else, but even that stops not the age factor at some point. I just can't see that youre playing the same stuff in your 50's and the high standard you played in your 20's or 30's, not even Ronnie.

I mean, we are all surprised how good he's still playing at this age. Hendry, Williams and many other legends did already drop a little bit after passing the age of 30. Of course, they were still capable of winning tournaments here and there like Davis won the Masters at the age of 40 and Ebdon the China Open at the age of 42. But winning the World Championship is something different, especially defending it at that age.

Ronnie obviously is a fit man, running almost everyday and keeps himself in good form, so that's probably another reason next to his talent. I can see Ronnie winning big titles for the next 3-4 years, but after that it will be difficult. And I don't thing he has the motivation either to keep playing after the age of 45 or like that.
When he realizes, he can't win anymore and keeps losing in first rounds then he is gonna retire for sure. And it would definitely be the right choice if this was the case.

What Ronnie should do now is just winning as much as possible before retiring.

Couldn't have said it better myself :hatoff: Although as much as I'd like your last part to be true, that isn't always the case with him atm because he skips many tournaments so his chances of sucess become less, this season he may only play in the Welsh Open before the Worlds. But, having said all this, I'd rather have a Ronnie who only plays a handful of tournaments and wins some of them than a Ronnie who plays in almost everything but doesn't win and seems desinterested and bored.

I think if his desire is there he can play to this kind of top level for the next 3 or 4 years beofre the inevitable happens and he starts putting up performances like Williams and Higgins in recent times. Plus I agree with you, if he went to lose many first round matches for instance he wouldn't be around for too long. His 2010/2011 season was his worst by a long way and I really thought then he would definately retire given the results he had that season, but fortunately Dr Steve Peters came around and since then he's probably been the best Ronnie ever, mostly mentally.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Well if Peter Ebdon can win a ranking event in his 40s, so can Ronnie.

Like Andre said, it's likely that his standard will drop in the next 4 years or so but after that he'll still be able to win a tournament every once in a while I'm sure.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Well if Peter Ebdon can win a ranking event in his 40s, so can Ronnie.

Like Andre said, it's likely that his standard will drop in the next 4 years or so but after that he'll still be able to win a tournament every once in a while I'm sure.

Yeah, the only problem is Ebdon wins a ranker in his 40s but has many first round losses or very poor performances, therefore if that's the case with Ronnie I don't think he'll be around for too long. As I said, it's all about his desire and how much he truly wants to still be winning in his 40s. He has said he'd like to win a Worlds by then, but before he reaches that age we can never be 100% sure about his true intensions.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Well if Peter Ebdon can win a ranking event in his 40s, so can Ronnie.

Yeah, the only problem is Ebdon wins a ranker in his 40s but has many first round losses or very poor performances, therefore if that's the case with Ronnie I don't think he'll be around for too long. As I said, it's all about his desire and how much he truly wants to still be winning in his 40s. He has said he'd like to win a Worlds by then, but before he reaches that age we can never be 100% sure about his true intensions.

Yeah, it's really difficult to say.

Ronnie even at his age now he's the best player in the World, when he's on his A-game he's the best player in the World by some distance. So his level can drop quite a bit and he'll still be competitive. He isn't playing like Higgins in 2010/11 on the edge, scraping through most of his matches. So it's looking pretty good right now.

Postby Cloud Strife

After what I've seen in the last few months, I'm convinced Ronnie will at least equal Hendry's 7 world titles.

There's nobody who can stop him, at the moment, unless somebody emerges out of nowhere, but the chances of that happening are slim.

Postby rocketronnie147

I voted for every one of them, lol.....call it optimism! I think Ronnie can pace himself and play at a very high level for another 5 years (at least). I just don't think his talent will vanish that quickly.....and, as we've seen, his B and C games are often enough......If he still plays a semi decent schedule, I could see him break a lot of the records up there (or tie them).

Postby Roland

I notice that Ronnie beating Hendry's 147 record has increased from 18 to 19 overnight :redneck:

Postby Cannonball

I'm not going to vote because I now strongly feel that we have entered a new era. This in fact started at the turn of the century. Just as much as people don't refer to Ray Reardon's 6 world titles or refer to it with any respect, I don't count any records pre-2000. We are in the Ronnie era, the era of high competition, and amazing standard of snooker, an era in which the world plays snooker, not just Britain. Hendry and Davis didn't have the competition from China and certainly didn't face great players like Selby, DIng, Trump, Allen etc. A lot of the tournaments they won were closed, there weren't as many pros, the pros they beat weren't as good as today, and frankly, half of them didn't really try that hard, Jimmy threw 3 world finals that are on Hendry's CV by going out all the time, getting high and drinking too much and that was during world final weekends. Hendry said on Twitter that if the competition don't step up, they may as well give Ronnie the Worlds trophy now. Really, that competition retired Hendry, he could't cope with them! If people are going to choose records, they can't pick and choose which records count, that's just opinion and bias. If you're going to choose records, then Joe Davis is still the master. That's why I think records are pointless because we all know who the Grand Master is.

Postby Cannonball

edwards2000 wrote:

Yes, the patients are in charge of the asylum now. Imagine a forum, where the biggest abuser in the past gets to call the shots and threaten others? I'd call that Ukranian Island. Mods need to be above and beyond the acceptable standard, not below! Great way to build traffic and a forum, threatening bans. :clap:

Postby Wildey

you could argue Ronnie hasent faced Great players in World Finals apart from John Higgins 13 years ago in 3 of his wins hes played Rookie finalists 2004 Graeme Dott, 2008 Ali Carter and 2013 Barry Hawkins and in 2012 he faced Carter Again who as we speak has only beaten Ronnie once and that was in the championship league out of 16 they have played.

You can manipulate any stat to your own agenda.

Postby Wildey

Trumpster wrote:
edwards2000 wrote:

Yes, the patients are in charge of the asylum now. Imagine a forum, where the biggest abuser in the past gets to call the shots and threaten others? I'd call that Ukranian Island. Mods need to be above and beyond the acceptable standard, not below! Great way to build traffic and a forum, threatening bans. :clap:

its none of your business who is mods around here so stick to topic not goading.

Postby Cannonball

Wildey wrote:
Trumpster wrote:
edwards2000 wrote:

its none of your business who is mods around here so stick to topic not goading.

To be credible, authority requires respect. You have none, from anyone on here. Threaten all you like, folk will simply move to ja606 or another forum.

Postby mantorok

Wildey wrote:you could argue Ronnie hasent faced Great players in World Finals apart from John Higgins 13 years ago in 3 of his wins hes played Rookie finalists 2004 Graeme Dott, 2008 Ali Carter and 2013 Barry Hawkins and in 2012 he faced Carter Again who as we speak has only beaten Ronnie once and that was in the championship league out of 16 they have played.

Agree with this, when you take everything into consideration it usually all comes out in the wash and although I don't have stats to back this up I would imagine that Carter and Hawkins would've given a reasonable challenge to anyone and deserved their places in the finals.

If ROS wins a world title against a top 4 player in the next 5 years then I think we can put that one to rest, because you could talk forever about how many world titles White blew when he faced Hendry. Hell I would imagine that ROS himself would like to face a world No.1 in a sheffield final!

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Trumpster wrote: Hendry and Davis didn't have the competition from China and certainly didn't face great players like Selby, DIng, Trump, Allen etc.

None of these players are great, their good, decent but a long way from great.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote:you could argue Ronnie hasent faced Great players in World Finals apart from John Higgins 13 years ago in 3 of his wins hes played Rookie finalists 2004 Graeme Dott, 2008 Ali Carter and 2013 Barry Hawkins and in 2012 he faced Carter Again who as we speak has only beaten Ronnie once and that was in the championship league out of 16 they have played.

That really is manipulating the stats to an idiot agenda. By that logic all Hendry's championship titles against Jimmy White are worth nothing.

The world championship is not one match. You have to be great to be able to get to the final.

For the record, I think Barry Hawkins played brilliant in his final and would have beaten anyone but ROS the way he played.

Postby Wildey

Any stat can be manipulated so if you manipulate things others can do the same.

And regarding Barry beating anyone you dont know because he did not play anyone.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote:Any stat can be manipulated so if you manipulate things others can do the same.

And regarding Barry beating anyone you dont know because he did not play anyone.

Of course any stat can be manipulated, I've seen you and others do it many times ;-p

Thats why my opinion that Ronnie is the greatest is not based on stats. It's just based on the way he plays the game. He was brilliant when he was 17 and he's even better now at 38 years old. But its only a personal opinion of course. An opinion shared by many of the game's all time greats.

Postby Andy Spark

Sonny wrote:I notice that Ronnie beating Hendry's 147 record has increased from 18 to 19 overnight :redneck:

Up to 20 now. Some people have decision making down to a fine art.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:I'm quite sure now Ronnie will overtake Davis's 28 ranking titles.

Yeah, at most I can see him reach 30 rankers, 31 maybe if he really and truly wants it. But surpass Hendry's 36 or even tie that seems out of reach for me.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:I'm quite sure now Ronnie will overtake Davis's 28 ranking titles.

Yeah, at most I can see him reach 30 rankers, 31 maybe if he really and truly wants it. But surpass Hendry's 36 or even tie that seems out of reach for me.

I think Ronnie can become the first man to win 50 rankers, maybe even a hundred, who knows?