Post a reply

Which of these players is most likely to win a maiden ranking title 2023-24?

Poll ended at 17 Jul 2023

Jack Lisowski
33%
Si Jiahui
13%
Zhou Yuelong
13%
Joe O'Connor
33%
Pang Junxu
7%
Noppon Saengkham
No votes
Jak Jones
No votes
Xiao Guodong
No votes

Total votes : 15

A maiden title 2023-24?

Postby gninnur karona

Eight of the players in the provisional end 2023-24 top 32 at start season are yet to win an event awarding ranking points. Which is the most likely to break that duck this season?

Re: A maiden title 2023-24?

Postby SnookerEd25

There isn’t an ‘I don’t know’ option, which is a shame as I genuinely do not know. I care, but I do not know :sad:

Postby GeF

My vote goes to the dreamboat. He will win one day (or another).

Postby Holden Chinaski

The drummer for Iron Maiden has a better chance of winning his maiden ranking title than Lisowski. I voted for Si.

Postby gninnur karona

WST asked a three-man panel of experts to predict their most likely maiden ranking event winner this coming season. Whilst David Hendon nominated Pang Junxu, Neal Foulds and Michael McMullan opted for Wu Yize and Jackson Page, 40th and 57th respectively on the 2022-23 one-year list. A common denominator the youthfulness of the selections - Pang Junxu the oldest at 23.

Of the eight players that I listed (in order of their 2022-23 one-year ranking) four have experienced their 30th birthday, four are in their 20s.

Only one of the 30 somethings attracted any votes - Jack Lisowski. Ending the last five seasons inside the top 16, perplexing that Jack Lisowski has yet to win a ranking title. Perhaps, finally, this season? The clock is ticking. Robert Milkins has shown the way, not only by winning that elusive first ranking title but then following it up with a second. An example that might inspire Xiao Guodong, Noppon Saengkham and Jak Jones?

The younger players all found at least one supporter. Joe O'Connor the most cited, 2022-23 Scottish Open finalist the only one of the eight yet to qualify for the Crucible stage of the World Championship. Pang Junxu, Classic finalist, and Zhou Yuelong, Northern Ireland Open finalist, were also one away from lifting silverware 2022-23, whilst Si Jiahui's career highlight to date undoubtedly Crucible 2023. The world is their oyster. Will one, or more, of these players establish themselves in the higher echelons for years to come?

Jack Lisowski skipped the Championship League, Joe O'Connor failed to survive the opening round. For one of the other six named players a maiden ranking title may be less than a week away.

Maybe none of these players will end this season a ranking event winner, maybe a number of them will. It will be fascinating to watch the story unfold.