Post a reply

Which do you consider the most surprising of these Welsh Open results this week?

Poll ended at 21 Jan 2023

Gary Wilson 3-4 Graeme Dott
No votes
Tom Ford 1-4 Aaron Hill
9%
Zhou Yuelong 0-4 Wu Yize
9%
Jimmy Robertson 3-4 Mohamed Ibrahim
45%
Jamie Jones 2-4 Rod Lawler
9%
No idea
27%

Total votes : 11

Welsh Open surprises this week

Postby gninnur karona

13 of the top 32 headed to Barnsley to play in the opening round of the Welsh Open this week. Whilst eight successfully navigated their way through to a last 64 place in Wales, five fell at the first hurdle. It's in the nature of competition that favourites don't always oblige but some surprises are more easily envisaged than others. Which of the top 32 losses in the Welsh Open this week most surprised you?

Re: Welsh Open surprises this week

Postby gninnur karona

Thanks to everyone who answered.

A clear consensus that Mohamed Ibrahim beating Jimmy Robertson was the most surprising result of the five top 32 defeats.

Not though the overwhelming view that might have been expected if this question could have been asked during the close season.

Since when Jimmy Robertson has both lost his provisional place in the end 2022-23 top 16 and been the only one of the five losing players to have not qualified for the World Grand Prix. In contrast, Mohamed Ibrahim despite missing five events (African champion snooker players traditionally have more difficulty pursuing sporting careers in the United Kingdom than their football and cricket playing peers) had already recorded a victory, at the UK Championship, which suggested, now confirmed, that he might be more competitive than recent African champions.

Wu Yize, Aaron Hill and Rod Lawler each attracted an alternative vote. Two players looking to the future, one reminiscing for the past. Wu Yize is well set to end the season inside the top 64 having already beaten Luca Brecel and Ryan Day this season. Nevertheless Zhou Yuelong, Northern Ireland Open finalist, is another big scalp. Aaron Hill on his game is good enough to beat anybody, as most recently proved when knocking Judd Trump out in Belfast, but he loses more matches than he wins on tour. Rod Lawler, triumphant in QSchool, has had a quiet season. Three previous victories but this win over Jamie Jones the first surprise. Hopefully Rod Lawler has excellent memories of his achievement beating Marco Fu in Gloucester a decade ago.

Pleasingly no votes for Graeme Dott's win despite Gary Wilson's recent Scottish Open triumph.

Finally three voters went for no idea. I don't have any original thoughts on that so I'll close with what I understand to be Judd Trump's opinion.

It’s just disappointing when some people answering snookerisland polls haven't done their homework, they don’t know what’s going on. You don’t get that in any other sport. I just feel that people need to try harder, work at it, be a little bit less selfish and do a bit more homework to try and build the game up.

Postby SnookerEd25

:goodpost:

At least the ‘no ideas’ voted. I, to my shame, couldn’t even be bothered to do that. :hmmm:

I know I must do better in future, and am resolving to do just that <ok>

Postby Iranu

gninnur karona wrote:It’s just disappointing when some people answering snookerisland polls haven't done their homework, they don’t know what’s going on. You don’t get that in any other sport. I just feel that people need to try harder, work at it, be a little bit less selfish and do a bit more homework to try and build the game up.

Do you believe this?