Post a reply

Black tied up or not?

Poll ended at 28 Apr 2021

I like the black tied up at the start of every frame
14%
I don't like the black tied up at the start of any frame
29%
I like the black tied up at the start of a frame for about half of the frames of a match.
No votes
I like the black tied for a final frame decider but no other frames.
14%
I don't care whether the black is tied up or not.
43%
It depends on how much time I have to watch snooker on that particularly day.
No votes

Total votes : 7

Re: Black tied up or not?

Postby Prop

Final frame. It’s often a bit of a disappointment when a player gets in at the start of a decider and their opponent doesn’t get a chance.

Postby chengdufan

I voted don't care.

One of the beauties of snooker is that anything can happen. If I had expectations about what I would 'enjoy' wataching, I'd be unhappy most of the time. Any frame can be enjoyable, regardless of where the balls fall.

Regarding Williams' break, I like it. As others have said, there are only a few shots needed before the frame gets going (less than one minute) and the spread of the reds is different from the standard break, meaning more care and thought is needed in the early safety exchange.

Postby mick745

The aim of the break off used to be to return the white to the baulk cushion.

I dont understand why the top players cant achieve that regularly.

The danger of hitting the back of the pack is leaving a touching bsll, allowing your opponent to return to baulk without disturbing any reds, leaving a conventional break off type shot next which may tie up the black anyway.

Postby vodkadiet1

mick745 wrote:The aim of the break off used to be to return the white to the baulk cushion.

I dont understand why the top players cant achieve that regularly.

The danger of hitting the back of the pack is leaving a touching bsll, allowing your opponent to return to baulk without disturbing any reds, leaving a conventional break off type shot next which may tie up the black anyway.

Yes. But I guess then the same shot could just be played again and again?

Postby vodkadiet1

chengdufan wrote:I voted don't care.

One of the beauties of snooker is that anything can happen. If I had expectations about what I would 'enjoy' wataching, I'd be unhappy most of the time. Any frame can be enjoyable, regardless of where the balls fall.

Regarding Williams' break, I like it. As others have said, there are only a few shots needed before the frame gets going (less than one minute) and the spread of the reds is different from the standard break, meaning more care and thought is needed in the early safety exchange.

If these guys are that good maybe they should just copy this break!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCuiwiL302E