Post a reply

Is it right to award main-tour cards to the top two players from the women's tour?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes : 34

Female tour cards

Postby AlfGit

As a matter of principle, do you believe it is the right decision to automatically give two-year main-tour cards to the top two players on the women's tour?

Re: Female tour cards

Postby McManusFan

Yep. It's not all that different to giving tour cards to leading amateurs from different areas of the world. It's good publicity, and it'll hopefully help more people get into the game.

Postby Dan-cat

McManusFan wrote:Yep. It's not all that different to giving tour cards to leading amateurs from different areas of the world. It's good publicity, and it'll hopefully help more people get into the game.

This.

Postby lhpirnie

McManusFan wrote:Yep. It's not all that different to giving tour cards to leading amateurs from different areas of the world. It's good publicity, and it'll hopefully help more people get into the game.

Yes perhaps. But they also give wildcards to ageing former top players. It's possible that wildcards are given to players just to create a bit of publicity, a 1-day news event.

I'm not actually in favour of a rigid 128-player tour. I'd have national champions, top women, etc. in some tournaments but maybe not all, depending on their ranking.

Postby chengdufan

We need to get away from this idea that the cards are 'wildcards for women'.
They're two spots earned on merit by being the best in a competitive amateur snooker event, the same as all the other routes to a card, other than the Jimmy route.

Postby AlfGit

chengdufan wrote:We need to get away from this idea that the cards are 'wildcards for women'.
They're two spots earned on merit by being the best in a competitive amateur snooker event, the same as all the other routes to a card, other than the Jimmy route.

As with any issue of this nature, there are pros and cons to both sides.

It seems that the primary objection of those against is that the competitive amateur snooker events in question are exclusively for women, and there are no events that lead to a tour card from which women are excluded. Consequently, women now have more opportunity than men, whereas it was equal before.

Postby chengdufan

AlfGit wrote:
chengdufan wrote:We need to get away from this idea that the cards are 'wildcards for women'.

As with any issue of this nature, there are pros and cons to both sides.

It seems that the primary objection of those against is that the competitive amateur snooker events in question are exclusively for women, and there are no events that lead to a tour card from which women are excluded. Consequently, women now have more opportunity than men, whereas it was equal before.

Ng On Yee can't enter:
The Americas Championship
The Oceania Championship
The European Championship
The European U-21 Championship
The Asian U-21 Championship
The World U-21 Championship

And it's incredibly expensive for her to enter Q school.

Just one example on the opposite side would be Jackson Page, who can enter most of those.

Postby AlfGit

chengdufan wrote:Ng On Yee can't enter:
The Americas Championship
The Oceania Championship
The European Championship
The European U-21 Championship
The Asian U-21 Championship
The World U-21 Championship

And it's incredibly expensive for her to enter Q school.

Just one example on the opposite side would be Jackson Page, who can enter most of those.

That might be the case for any specific individual, but women in general can enter all of them.

Is Jackson Page not already professional?

Postby chengdufan

So individuals can be excluded from certain routes due to age, nationality and financial means, but not gender? :chin:

Postby AlfGit

chengdufan wrote:So individuals can be excluded from certain routes due to age, nationality and financial means, but not gender? :chin:

No, that is the opposite of what I meant. Individuals are now being excluded because of their gender.

Let us consider the ad absurdum scenario: for quite a few years now, it has been possible for the main tour to comprise only women, and it still is, but it is no longer possible for it to comprise only men. My question is, is that fair?
Last edited by AlfGit on 29 May 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Iranu

Opportunities were not equal.

Postby motorhead

chengdufan wrote:And it's incredibly expensive for her to enter Q school.

She's entered it several times, it's obvious that it wasn't worth the cost. What do you mean incredibly expensive for her?

Postby chengdufan

motorhead wrote:

She's entered it several times, it's obvious that it wasn't worth the cost. What do you mean incredibly expensive for her?

She is from Hong Kong, and so has higher travel and accommodation costs than UK entrants

Postby SnookerFan

Running side wrote:why

For the reasons Dan-Cat mentioned.

The intention is that having female players become more high profile will help raise the profile of the female game. Having White continually drop off the tour and get let back on doesn't do anything particularly useful

Postby Running side

I support more women playing snooker at professional levels if they are good enough, and competitive in matches. No real progress yet.I don't think Jimmy's situation makes it harder for women to qualify ,I'm sure Jimmy would step aside if the majority of people thought he hindered them.

Postby Iranu

Running side wrote:I support more women playing snooker at professional levels if they are good enough, and competitive in matches. No real progress yet.I don't think Jimmy's situation makes it harder for women to qualify ,I'm sure Jimmy would step aside if the majority of people thought he hindered them.

Kenna was competitive last night.

And men and women don’t have equal opportunity to improve when there are still leagues/teams that don’t allow women to play in them.

What better way is there to make progress than playing at the top level?

Postby Running side

Agree mostly, saw Rebeccas Twitter this morning thanking people for their support, admitting she found it difficult to bring her practice form to the match table. Don't no answer to encouraging clubs to encourage more women to become competitive.

Postby The_Abbott

Its the only way they can improve their game against quality opponents. So why not.

Postby motorhead

Iranu wrote:
What better way is there to make progress than playing at the top level?

That's what I ask Wimbledon organizers each year, and yet this mugs still refuse to let me play.
I guarantee you I didn't have the same opportunities Murray had.
Last edited by motorhead on 07 Apr 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby motorhead

chengdufan wrote:
motorhead wrote:

She is from Hong Kong, and so has higher travel and accommodation costs than UK entrants

Doesn't this apply to all players from Hong Kong?
Isn't the women's tour mostly played in UK? I thought she moved in UK for that.

Postby AlfGit

Wow! Just yesterday it was 10:2 in favour, now it is 15:12 against.

I have to admit, I thought it would be a close thing, but that is a big swing in a short time. I wonder if Reanne Evans' poor performance against Andy Hicks had something to do with it.