Post a reply

Who is the best current Snooker commentator?

Poll ended at 22 Apr 2022

John Virgo
5%
Dennis Taylor
3%
Stephen Hendry
10%
Steve Davis
3%
Ken Doherty
1%
John Parrott
3%
Alan McManus
13%
David Hendon
7%
Neal Foulds
33%
Joe Johnson
7%
Phil Studd
No votes
Dominic Dale
10%
Phil Yates
4%

Total votes : 94

Re: Who is the best current commentator?

Postby mick745

Luckily i think they seem to have stopped the practice of picking out any vaguely looking chinese people in the audience and claiming they are Ding fans. Would they pick out some black audience member and say "there's someone supporting Rory"?
But we know Dennis is a bit of a loose cannon sometimes.

Remember he said Michaela Tabb was "definitely the most attractive" referee.

I am sure the feminists were upset at that one.

If you watch the 1985 world final, during the gap between the penultimate and last frame the cameras were focussing on the crowd. Ted Lowe remarked that one of them was "rather an attractive young lady".

Do you think that would happen now?

Postby AlfGit

I almost wrote that exact point about Rory McLeod myself.

Ted Lowe's comment would not happen now without complaints, that is for sure, but at the time I expect he only intended to compliment her. Taylor just seemed a bit creepy.

Postby Running side

Feel sympathy for older commentators, must find it difficult to be natural and honest without upsetting someone. I can imagine they have a list at hand of topics to avoid, I'm sure most people except the odd mistake,to many looking to complain.

Postby Iranu

Steve Davis isn’t even that good a pundit these days. Everything boils down to “the way things pan out on the fay” and just like in commentary he utterly refuses to commit to an opinion.

Postby AlfGit

Iranu wrote:Steve Davis isn’t even that good a pundit these days. Everything boils down to “the way things pan out on the fay” and just like in commentary he utterly refuses to commit to an opinion.

Yes, that is true. But he does have good insights, and I like his subtle sense of humour.

Postby Johnny Bravo

AlfGit wrote:I do not dislike any of the ITV commentators, but JV once picked my son out to help with a trick shot, then he munged it up and blamed my son! :grrr:

Dennis Taylor has always been one of my least favourites. I still get shudders thinking about him always pointing out Selby's girlfriend (now wife) and saying 'Give us a smile, Vicky'. She was clearly humiliated. Not to mention whenever the camera would show any remotely Chinese looking person in the crowd, he would always say, "There's a Ding Junhui fan." :shock:

I think a big quality of Neal Foulds is that he is easy to listen to. His voice is non-invasive, just like the best ever, Jack Karnehm. People say that Phil Yates talks too much, but in last Friday's afternoon play with Neal and Phil on commentary, I paid attention and Neal probably had 65-70% of the mic time. That is not a criticism, just an observation. Phil Yates is the oracle of snooker. He deserves some respect!

If ITV could coax Steve Davis over for punditry, I think they would have the perfect team.

<ok>

Postby Johnny Bravo

mick745 wrote:If you watch the 1985 world final, during the gap between the penultimate and last frame the cameras were focussing on the crowd. Ted Lowe remarked that one of them was "rather an attractive young lady".

Now, cause now we have "woke" and "cancel culture" invented by IMBECILES. >-(
There is nothing wrong with what Ted Lowe said. <cool> :spot on:

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:I've got a lot of respect for Phil Yates after he mentioned me and snookerfan last week.

Virgo’s never mentioned either of you.

Just saying :shrug:

Good.

Postby SnookerFan

badtemperedcyril wrote:Can't remember now which commentator it was said it but they wouldn't get away with it now...

"To any of our lovely lady viewers out there, the sequence is: yellow, green, brown, blue, pink, black".

rofl rofl

Postby SnookerEd25

badtemperedcyril wrote:Can't remember now which commentator it was said it but they wouldn't get away with it now...

"To any of our lovely lady viewers out there, the sequence is: yellow, green, brown, blue, pink, black".

Can’t have been Dennis Taylor, he’d probably have gotten them wrong :dizzy:

Postby Running side

Ted Lowe on pot black early days few colour TVs, said for those watching in black and white, the red is behind the green ball, surely discrimination against colour blind people.

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:

Can’t have been Dennis Taylor, he’d probably have gotten them wrong :dizzy:

He thinks the only woman watching is The Lovely Vikki.

Postby Dan-cat

Wow. Is this real?

If my grandmother had heard this, who first introduced me to televised snooker she'd give him a slap.

Postby AlfGit

Dan-cat wrote:

Wow. Is this real?

If my grandmother had heard this, who first introduced me to televised snooker she'd give him a slap.

It definitely rings a bell with me, but I cannot find any references to it now. I do not remember whether I actually heard it, or just heard about it.

Postby Andre147

If this is true, I can only see one person saying it: Phil Yates! He once said MJW's son not to worry, his dad wasn't dead yet.

Postby AlfGit

Andre147 wrote:

If this is true, I can only see one person saying it: Phil Yates! He once said MJW's son not to worry, his dad wasn't dead yet.

If my vague recollection is correct, it seems to have been long before Phil Yates was commentating.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Another professional, who I won’t name, was filming an instructional video, demonstrated a particular shot and commented,

“This is a very useful shot to get out of trouble - any ladies out there watching - you tell your husband to try this next time he goes to the club”

Postby forever baulking

Johnny Bravo wrote:
mick745 wrote:If you watch the 1985 world final, during the gap between the penultimate and last frame the cameras were focussing on the crowd. Ted Lowe remarked that one of them was "rather an attractive young lady".

I can only feel that we're going to get some serious complaints from imbeciles now.

five minutes later they'll have their own 'recognisable' flag and rally.

cheers for the common sense,
shawn

Postby mick745

Andre147 wrote:

Was that the match after he had been rushed to hospital with chest pains during the world championships?

Postby SnookerEd25

mick745 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Was that the match after he had been rushed to hospital with chest pains during the world championships?

It was, yes; the very next day I think...<doh>

Postby Johnny Bravo

forever baulking wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

I can only feel that we're going to get some serious complaints from imbeciles now.

shawn

:spot on:
Nice to see a new poster around here. :hatoff:

Postby Andre147

forever baulking wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

shawn

I see you're a new member, so welcome.

But what imbeciles are you talking about? There's not much wrong with what Lowe said, but nowadays he wouldn't get away with it, for the better or worse.

Postby SnookerFan

We still get Dennis Taylor et al constantly going on about The Lovely Vikki.

I mean, I guess calling somebody that he knows personally 'lovely' isn't the same thing as pointing out somebody in the crowd that you fancy. But I still find the frequency with which the commentators do it a bit weird. She never looks that comfortable with it.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:We still get Dennis Taylor et al constantly going on about The Lovely Vikki.

I mean, I guess calling somebody that he knows personally 'lovely' isn't the same thing as pointing out somebody in the crowd that you fancy. But I still find the frequency with which the commentators do it a bit weird. She never looks that comfortable with it.

I’ll be fine with it once they start to refer to “the lovely Jack” during Judd’s matches <ok>

Postby badtemperedcyril

Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:We still get Dennis Taylor et al constantly going on about The Lovely Vikki.

I’ll be fine with it once they start to refer to “the lovely Jack” during Judd’s matches <ok>

It's a terribly old fashioned and British way of complimenting a man's wife...

e.g. "John's lovely wife, Betty"

Not quite the same when referring to ones sibling.

What would he say though, if Judd had a boyfriend called Jack?

Postby Iranu

badtemperedcyril wrote:
Iranu wrote:

I mean that’s kind of my point.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Iranu wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:
Iranu wrote:

I mean that’s kind of my point.

He'd probably say "Oh look, there's the lovely Patsy Fagan"