Post a reply

Who is the best current Snooker commentator?

Poll ended at 22 Apr 2022

John Virgo
5%
Dennis Taylor
3%
Stephen Hendry
10%
Steve Davis
3%
Ken Doherty
1%
John Parrott
3%
Alan McManus
13%
David Hendon
7%
Neal Foulds
33%
Joe Johnson
7%
Phil Studd
No votes
Dominic Dale
10%
Phil Yates
4%

Total votes : 94

Re: Who is the best current commentator?

Postby AlfGit

Should Darren Morgan not be on the list too? Not that I would have voted for him because I have a hard time understanding him.

Postby McManusFan

AlfGit wrote:Should Darren Morgan not be on the list too? Not that I would have voted for him because I have a hard time understanding him.

I guess he's easily forgotten, I think I've only ever heard him on the BBC Wales coverage of the Welsh Open.

Postby mick745

Juddernaut88 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:It's just Foulds, isn't it?

How do you feel about Phil Yates and Dennis Taylor receiving 1 vote each?

I prefer Taylor to Virgo but the bar is low.

Yes Taylor's stories are old and tired, he is stuck on the 1980s, he spends little or no time watching any of the tournaments and prefers golf to snooker but Virgo's downbeat manner grates with me sometimes whereas Taylor is usually chipper at least.

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:I'm surprised that Foulds is winning by so much, I thought Angles would be closer to him. Angles recently won a best commentator award on Twitter

Angles and Dominic probably split voters because they’re so similar. And I guess some prefer Hendry’s style.

Foulds really is in a league of his own. He could easily do either the journalist or player comms job.

Postby SnookerEd25

Dan-cat wrote:I'm surprised that Foulds is winning by so much, I thought Angles would be closer to him. Angles recently won a best commentator award on Twitter

pfffft. I won a ‘least angry person’ award on Twitter, but I’m only using it to prop the bin room door open :hmmm:

Postby chengdufan

Xiao Guodong for me.

I'm probably the only person on here who gets the pleasure of his commentary of course, with the possible exception of HappyCamper.
It'd be interesting to see if he had good enough English to have a go on Eurosport.

Another left field choice is Aditya Mehta. He commentated on the Indian Open 4 or 5 years ago and was superb. He'd be up there with anyone on this list were he given a go in the UK.

Postby Dan-cat

chengdufan wrote:Xiao Guodong for me.

I'm probably the only person on here who gets the pleasure of his commentary of course, with the possible exception of HappyCamper.
It'd be interesting to see if he had good enough English to have a go on Eurosport.

Another left field choice is Aditya Mehta. He commentated on the Indian Open 4 or 5 years ago and was superb. He'd be up there with anyone on this list were he given a go in the UK.

I remember that, Aditya was excellent - warm, witty, knowledgeable.

Postby SnookerEd25

badtemperedcyril wrote:Surprised Yates got 2 votes. Maybe they were from deaf viewers.

Or Yates has 2 accounts on this forum :chin:

Hi Phil :wave:

Postby Andre147

badtemperedcyril wrote:Surprised Yates got 2 votes. Maybe they were from deaf viewers.

Yates knowledge of the game is second to none, but he's very irritating with his constant hype that doesn't make any sense and is just silly.

Postby AlfGit

SnookerEd25 wrote:

:emb:
I've been rumbled.

Postby SnookerEd25

AlfGit wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

I've been rumbled.

rofl

Postby Ck147

Running side wrote:Davis for me, totally different personality from his playing days, got a playful approach and knowledge.

Davis is a much better pundit than commentator. Fouldsey for me, much better commentator, can do ex-player and non-player role, and does punditry well too.
Last edited by Ck147 on 29 Mar 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Andre147 wrote:

Yates knowledge of the game is second to none, but he's very irritating with his constant hype that doesn't make any sense and is just silly.

Of that there is no question. Indeed, he is also an excellent journalist. Its just listening to him that I have difficulty with.

Postby badtemperedcyril

AlfGit wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

I've been rumbled.

:frog:

Do you remember those old forums where you could give someone "green" for an excellent post?
I can't do that so I'll give it a green frog instead.

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:I've got a lot of respect for Phil Yates after he mentioned me and snookerfan last week.

Virgo’s never mentioned either of you.

Just saying :shrug:

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:I've got a lot of respect for Phil Yates after he mentioned me and snookerfan last week.

Virgo’s never mentioned either of you.

Just saying :shrug:

He's still the man though! I actually could have met him around October 2018. John Higgins did an exhibition in my Snooker club. I decided not to attend it. I can't remember how much tickets costed.
Amyway my mate went and John Virgo was there and he got a pic with him as well!

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:I’m a bit surprised John Higgins does exhibitions.

Tax deductable, & all the beer he can drink <ok>

Postby Iranu

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Iranu wrote:I’m a bit surprised John Higgins does exhibitions.

Tax deductable, & all the beer he can drink <ok>

With a huge risk of having drunkards shouting cheat-related abuse at him.

Postby AlfGit

I do not dislike any of the ITV commentators, but JV once picked my son out to help with a trick shot, then he munged it up and blamed my son! :grrr:

Dennis Taylor has always been one of my least favourites. I still get shudders thinking about him always pointing out Selby's girlfriend (now wife) and saying 'Give us a smile, Vikki'. She was clearly humiliated. Not to mention whenever the camera would show any remotely Chinese looking person in the crowd, he would always say, "There's a Ding Junhui fan." :shock:

I think a big quality of Neal Foulds is that he is easy to listen to. His voice is non-invasive, just like the best ever, Jack Karnehm. People say that Phil Yates talks too much, but in last Friday's afternoon play with Neal and Phil on commentary, I paid attention and Neal probably had 65-70% of the mic time. That is not a criticism, just an observation. Phil Yates is the oracle of snooker. He deserves some respect!

If ITV could coax Steve Davis over for punditry, I think they would have the perfect team.
Last edited by AlfGit on 04 Apr 2021, edited 1 time in total.