Post a reply

Who is the best current Snooker commentator?

Poll ended at 22 Apr 2022

John Virgo
5%
Dennis Taylor
3%
Stephen Hendry
10%
Steve Davis
3%
Ken Doherty
1%
John Parrott
3%
Alan McManus
13%
David Hendon
7%
Neal Foulds
33%
Joe Johnson
7%
Phil Studd
No votes
Dominic Dale
10%
Phil Yates
4%

Total votes : 94

Re: Who is the best current commentator?

Postby AlfGit

badtemperedcyril wrote:
Iranu wrote:
AlfGit wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:I disagree. I think Virgo was about to follow Everton and Thorne by being pensioned off by the BBC but he's upped his game. He's more technical now and has cut out the annoying "where the cue ball going" and constant criticism.

When the BBC got rid of Clive Everton, a very sad day, their reasoning was that they only wanted pro or former pro players commentating. When they cancelled Willie Thorne for the majors, it just showed what kind of audience they were aiming at.

I suspect Thorne’s gambling issues may have had something to do with the decision. That’s just speculation on my part though.

I'm sure you're right. Also he swore live on air, which the BBC don't tend to like much.

"for puck sake, Pete" rofl

I had forgotten about his little faux pas, but it was a long time between that and them dropping him. Also, they only dropped him from the majors, which suggests it was not for those reasons.

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Neal Foulds is winning this by a landslide.

Of course he is, he is the best.

Nope John Virgo is the best.

pmsl

rofl rofl rofl

May I ask what is so funny? >-(

Your hilarious joke, where you pretended that Virgo was the best commentator.

Postby SnookerFan

James Bentley wrote:I think I must be a soft touch or something, but I don't really find anything objectionable about any of the commentators. Dennis Taylor is a bit vacuous, Virgo can be annoying and some of the others are just bland, but I can tolerate pretty much any of them. I even quite like Phil Yates!

I voted Foulds-McManus-Hendon though. Some are plainly better than others.

Postby Auntie Anne

I would still have Clive Everton.

Dennis Taylor talks too much for my liking, sometimes as Barry Davies, the doyen of commentators in my opinion, says "less is more".

My three choices, John Virgo, Joe Johnson and John Parrott.

I also don't understand this relatively fashion of ex or even current players commentating.

Just because you have played the game doesn't necessarily make you a good commentator in my humble opinion.

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Phil Studd is currently the best commenatator. :gag:

Someone should vote for him so at least he is not stuck on zero.

Who cares if he is stuck on zero? :shrug:

Not as if the Eurosport top brass will see the poll, and dismiss him because of it :sad:

Postby OoNebsoO

Don't have BBC so don't listen often to their coverage (sometimes various streams have those commentator) but Eurosport ones are ok, Studd and Yates included, even though I prefer Hendon-Johnson combo the most.

Postby TheSaviour

John Higgins could be. Kind of a should be also. And Mark Allen also. Aannnd, goes without saying, David Gilbert also.

As John Higgins should have a new suspension now going on. I would at least 2 years, some probbably say that 4 years, or even for life. Have everyone gone blind or what ??? Did u now see those manners, gestures and an effort to tank the match against David Gilbert? David was just already (acccidentally) gone already when John offered it a few times. A top tip; David Gilbert is always gone after he has literally shown his teeths, while the tv-cameras are on. That´s cause it brokes his illusion of being the most handsome of Great Britain. I am sure David Gilbert should either trying not to show those or then having a go with a dentist.

That´s why David was unable to take it. But can´t u figure out what John was doing particularly when he missed that one brown easy brown. Anyone with a knowledge was able to see he missed it with a purpouse. The same kind of Scottish-shot which caused that one Scottish player being ruled out. And Stephen Maguire once also played a shot like that, there were some stories and investigations going on.

I don´t wan´t to be rude towards John Higgins. But I just found those manners and gestures with his literally tongue quite offensive. Not any behaviour is appectable even when the completely clueless 99,99% of people think it is an illness or something like that. I am talking about the real thing. What was John Higgins thinking? Probably nothing. But an ever present gestures and manners with his literally tongue I would say deserves a heavy penalty. I would say that give him a life-long suspensions.

He played some stuff, yes, those splits, yes, but overally.... Come on. Could see that he was GOING TO lose against that one fat cruel man, even when he "opened" a a 2 frames lead..

Mark Allen certainly looks terrific these days.

He could be an another great commentator. Are we really going to have to see him again??

Mark Allen made a one really cracking break against John Higgins, I admit that, and fair play to him REGARDING THAT ONE PARTICULAR BREAK. Also, his safeties were a top-notch all day long! But.

John Higgins made so obvious of why Scottish man are having a certain reputation. Let´s take McGovan from AWP. The same trouble-maker. And how about an Ulsterman? Not the kindedst of reputation either. They just made those things so obivous now that I feel sick.

I must admit I do like Yan Bingtao. His long efforts are spot on. That´s how the game should be played. If anything strange does not happen, Yan will rule the game for ages. I mean a solid top-3 stuff all day longs, with a many, many trophies and the big ones also. Kyren will be there also, and obviously Judd. Hopefully Ronnie also. And if John has now finally learned his lesson, why not he too. Mark Allen would require some quite serious training. But. Yes. Exactly; but.

But Yan plays it like it should be played. Can see that he has trained with Ronnie. There are some flaws regarding his fittness but Yan Bingtao is still so young. BUT he plays those long efforts spot on, a very, very few actually does that! AND, that is an ultimate weapon!

Postby Prop

TheSaviour wrote:John Higgins could be. Kind of a should be also. And Mark Allen also. Aannnd, goes without saying, David Gilbert also.

As John Higgins should have a new suspension now going on. I would at least 2 years, some probbably say that 4 years, or even for life. Have everyone gone blind or what ??? Did u now see those manners, gestures and an effort to tank the match against David Gilbert? David was just already (acccidentally) gone already when John offered it a few times. A top tip; David Gilbert is always gone after he has literally shown his teeths, while the tv-cameras are on. That´s cause it brokes his illusion of being the most handsome of Great Britain. I am sure David Gilbert should either trying not to show those or then having a go with a dentist.

That´s why David was unable to take it. But can´t u figure out what John was doing particularly when he missed that one brown easy brown. Anyone with a knowledge was able to see he missed it with a purpouse. The same kind of Scottish-shot which caused that one Scottish player being ruled out. And Stephen Maguire once also played a shot like that, there were some stories and investigations going on.

I don´t wan´t to be rude towards John Higgins. But I just found those manners and gestures with his literally tongue quite offensive. Not any behaviour is appectable even when the completely clueless 99,99% of people think it is an illness or something like that. I am talking about the real thing. What was John Higgins thinking? Probably nothing. But an ever present gestures and manners with his literally tongue I would say deserves a heavy penalty. I would say that give him a life-long suspensions.

He played some stuff, yes, those splits, yes, but overally.... Come on. Could see that he was GOING TO lose against that one fat cruel man, even when he "opened" a a 2 frames lead..

Mark Allen certainly looks terrific these days.

He could be an another great commentator. Are we really going to have to see him again??

Mark Allen made a one really cracking break against John Higgins, I admit that, and fair play to him REGARDING THAT ONE PARTICULAR BREAK. Also, his safeties were a top-notch all day long! But.

John Higgins made so obvious of why Scottish man are having a certain reputation. Let´s take McGovan from AWP. The same trouble-maker. And how about an Ulsterman? Not the kindedst of reputation either. They just made those things so obivous now that I feel sick.

I must admit I do like Yan Bingtao. His long efforts are spot on. That´s how the game should be played. If anything strange does not happen, Yan will rule the game for ages. I mean a solid top-3 stuff all day longs, with a many, many trophies and the big ones also. Kyren will be there also, and obviously Judd. Hopefully Ronnie also. And if John has now finally learned his lesson, why not he too. Mark Allen would require some quite serious training. But. Yes. Exactly; but.

But Yan plays it like it should be played. Can see that he has trained with Ronnie. There are some flaws regarding his fittness but Yan Bingtao is still so young. BUT he plays those long efforts spot on, a very, very few actually does that! AND, that is an ultimate weapon!

Higgins should have been suspended because of his tongue? That’s a big shout.

Postby SnookerEd25

I shall be reading the Saviour’s latest missive in chapters. I’ll get back to you at the end of the week.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerEd25 wrote:I shall be reading the Saviour’s latest missive in chapters. I’ll get back to you at the end of the week.

I didn't bother to read any of it.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:I shall be reading the Saviour’s latest missive in chapters. I’ll get back to you at the end of the week.

We're waiting.

Patiently waiting.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerEd25 wrote:Why can’t we ‘forgive and move on’? :sad:

I will forgive but I won't forget.
And I hope you know you've lost my respect

Great song by Papa Roach called Blood(empty promises) Track 1 off the album Getting way with murder back in 2004.

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:Why can’t we ‘forgive and move on’? :sad:

I will forgive but I won't forget.
And I hope you know you've lost my respect.

Gutted. :sleepy: