Post a reply

Which of these following records will Ronnie break before he retires?

first player to make 1000 centuries
21
10%
first player to make 15 maximum breaks
22
10%
tie or overtake Steve Davis's 6 UK titles
21
10%
tie or overtake Steve Davis's 28 ranking titles
23
11%
tie or overtake Stephen Hendry's 6 Masters titles
24
11%
tie Steve Davis's 6 World titles
19
9%
tie Stephen Hendry's 7 World titles
12
6%
overtake Stephen Hendry's 7 World titles
5
2%
tie or overtake Stephen Hendry's 18 majors
20
10%
tie or overtake Stephen Hendry's 36 ranking titles
18
9%
Oldest ranking event winner in snooker history
13
6%
Oldest World Champion in snooker history
12
6%
 
Total votes : 210

Re: Which records will Ronnie beat?

Postby chengdufan

I like the stats. Just to refine it a bit more, I think a good comparison would be each player's best 8 years as a pro.

Re: Which records will Ronnie beat?

Postby Reg Varney

So I had a look at Steve Davis after all.

Career:

28 wins from 247 tournaments entered (11.34% strike rate)

From turning pro to winning last ranking event in Season 94/95:

28 wins from 91 tournaments entered (30.77% strike rate)

So the Nugget still has a better strike rate than Selby, and is only just behind John Higgins, when factoring in his entire career.

Re: Which records will Ronnie beat?

Postby rekoons

Reg Varney wrote:So I had a look at Steve Davis after all.

Career:

28 wins from 247 tournaments entered (11.34% strike rate)

From turning pro to winning last ranking event in Season 94/95:

28 wins from 91 tournaments entered (30.77% strike rate)

So the Nugget still has a better strike rate than Selby, and is only just behind John Higgins, when factoring in his entire career.


That's an absolutely crazy stat :shock:

Re: Which records will Ronnie beat?

Postby Prop

rekoons wrote:
Reg Varney wrote:So I had a look at Steve Davis after all.

Career:

28 wins from 247 tournaments entered (11.34% strike rate)

From turning pro to winning last ranking event in Season 94/95:

28 wins from 91 tournaments entered (30.77% strike rate)

So the Nugget still has a better strike rate than Selby, and is only just behind John Higgins, when factoring in his entire career.


That's an absolutely crazy stat :shock:


Kind of reminds us what an absolute machine Davis was. I think some people forget (or were never aware) just how ice cold he was in his prime. He’s the original. The godfather. The don.

Re: Which records will Ronnie beat?

Postby Prop

chengdufan wrote:I like the stats. Just to refine it a bit more, I think a good comparison would be each player's best 8 years as a pro.


That’s a fair shout. But the more you fine tune these equations it seems the more variables it throws up for consideration!

Re: Which records will Ronnie beat?

Postby Acé

Reg Varney wrote:
Prop wrote:Ranking title strike rate would be interesting to see. Tournaments entered over tournament wins.


Not counting withdrawals, and this may easily be inaccurate, but I've got:

Judd Trump - 22 wins out of 164 tournaments entered (13.41% strike rate)

Ronnie O'Sullivan - 37 wins out of 220 tournaments entered (16.82% strike rate)

I'll possibly look at Hendry later.

*EDIT* Just looking at Hendry's record, my gut is his strike rate will be higher than O'Sullivan's.


LOL really? Ronnie only has 1 more ranking tournament entered than Hendry? 220-219? wow

And Higgins has entered in 47 more ranking tournaments despite being from the same generation that's insane

if we count pre 2016 snooker so let's say on average 8 ranking tournaments per season, Ronnie has missed 5-6 full snooker seasons compared to Higgins in his career

Re: Which records will Ronnie beat?

Postby Andre147

Higgins doesn't reach Finals as often as Ronnie does, despite entering far more tournaments.

And that's why his career wasn't as successful as Ronnie's.

Re: Which records will Ronnie beat?

Postby TheRocket

As Ace already pointed out in this thread. Pre 2012 Ronnie was well away from these records. Now he's broken many of them.

If he had retired in 2011 which was a possibility he would entered the history books as a massive underachiever. Still a great player obviously as a 3 time World Champ and 20+ time ranking event winner but nevertheless disappointing given his ability.

The last 8-9 years have been hugely important for Ronnies career and his legacy. It was the big step from a mere All-Time Great level player (Higgins,Selby,Williams level) to GOAT level player (Hendry).

Re: Which records will Ronnie beat?

Postby Johnny Bravo

ROS is 2 tons away from reaching 1100 tons.:happy:
My dream is for him to play until he reaches 1500, but most likely he'll retire with around 1250 tons when he's 50 years old :sad:

Re: Which records will Ronnie beat?

Postby Reg Varney

Acé wrote:
Reg Varney wrote:
Prop wrote:Ranking title strike rate would be interesting to see. Tournaments entered over tournament wins.


Not counting withdrawals, and this may easily be inaccurate, but I've got:

Judd Trump - 22 wins out of 164 tournaments entered (13.41% strike rate)

Ronnie O'Sullivan - 37 wins out of 220 tournaments entered (16.82% strike rate)

I'll possibly look at Hendry later.

*EDIT* Just looking at Hendry's record, my gut is his strike rate will be higher than O'Sullivan's.


LOL really? Ronnie only has 1 more ranking tournament entered than Hendry? 220-219? wow

And Higgins has entered in 47 more ranking tournaments despite being from the same generation that's insane

if we count pre 2016 snooker so let's say on average 8 ranking tournaments per season, Ronnie has missed 5-6 full snooker seasons compared to Higgins in his career


Just as a few examples, Higgins has entered three more European Masters than O'Sullivan, four more German Masters, four more Shanghai Masters and six more China Opens and then there are events like the Australian Goldfields Open and Wuxi Classic which O'Sullivan never bothered with (and Higgins has).

Re: Which records will Ronnie beat?

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:BIGGEST DECLINE OF ALL TIME!


May I ask why?


It's a running joke on this forum.

Just meant as a joke on the sort of Ronnie fan that panic every time he misses a ball.

Re: Which records will Ronnie beat?

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:BIGGEST DECLINE OF ALL TIME!


May I ask why?


It's a running joke on this forum.

Just meant as a joke on the sort of Ronnie fan that panic every time he misses a ball.


Lol but isn't it only mdg that panics?

Re: Which records will Ronnie beat?

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:Lol but isn't it only mdg that panics?


He's the most obvious culprit.

You get a few others who end up posting spazzy things every time he has an off-tournament or two.

Re: Which records will Ronnie beat?

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Lol but isn't it only mdg that panics?


He's the most obvious culprit.

You get a few others who end up posting spazzy things every time he has an off-tournament or two.


I get nervous when Judd is losing or if matches are close but I don't think I'm that bad lol. I know some people do think I panic a lot.

Re: Which records will Ronnie beat?

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
mick745 wrote:He will probably fall agonisingly short of at least one record, I suspect he won't get to 7 world titles.

The debate about who is the GOAT needs to continue not left in no doubt.


I think Ronnie has got at least one more World Title in him. I think he wins it this year.

If he does, it's not outside the realms of possibility he gets to seven.


Would need to get to 6 this year or the most the next.

Once he's past 45, I dont think theres a realistic chance of another one.


<doh>