Post a reply

Who is the best current Snooker commentator?

Poll ended at 22 Apr 2022

John Virgo
5%
Dennis Taylor
3%
Stephen Hendry
10%
Steve Davis
3%
Ken Doherty
1%
John Parrott
3%
Alan McManus
13%
David Hendon
7%
Neal Foulds
33%
Joe Johnson
7%
Phil Studd
No votes
Dominic Dale
10%
Phil Yates
4%

Total votes : 94

Re: Who is the best current commentator?

Postby jef539475

I absolutely can NOT stand Neil Foulds :mood: all he does is commentate on the obvious <doh> or then makes a statement but then he has to justify it with all this unnecessary commentary that has zero to do with the match and he just drones on and on :td: . I totally agree with Trump the modern game requires players who play the game in a similar way <ok> not the dinosaurs of the 80's, get rid of them they would all need at least 50 start to beat these modern players.. :td: Foulds (CHATTY KATHY) :mood: STFU

Postby badtemperedcyril

I would go as far as to rank Neal Foulds as my favourite commentator EVER. Him and Dave Hendon double up as a brilliant partnership. McManus is good also, as is Hendry. Going back, Clive Everton was really the doyen of the commentary box - his knowledge of the game unsurpassed. John Pulman and Rex Williams were also great commentators and much needed at a time when Ted Lowe had been at the forefront of snooker broadcasting as long as most people could remember. Jack Karnehm was OK but, like Lowe, tended to talk quite a lot of gibberish and you couldn’t help but cringe when he kept referring to “Stevie Davis”...

Postby Prop

jef539475 wrote:I absolutely can NOT stand Neil Foulds :mood: all he does is commentate on the obvious <doh> or then makes a statement but then he has to justify it with all this unnecessary commentary that has zero to do with the match and he just drones on and on :td: . I totally agree with Trump the modern game requires players who play the game in a similar way <ok> not the dinosaurs of the 80's, get rid of them they would all need at least 50 start to beat these modern players.. :td: Foulds (CHATTY KATHY) :mood: STFU

Are you sure you’re not thinking of Phil Studd?

Postby McManusFan

I find Hendon a real mixed bag. Sometimes he's great, sometimes he's awful. If a match isn't particularly interesting he'll go off on a tangeant and take you out of the match even more, conversely if the match is good he'll usually be good in the box. My real pet peeve with him is when the match looks likely to be over he doesn't try and build the tension much about them getting over the line, he just starts waffling on about their acheivements. That's where people like John Virgo and Alan McManus come into their own.

Postby Juddernaut88

McManusFan wrote:I find Hendon a real mixed bag. Sometimes he's great, sometimes he's awful. If a match isn't particularly interesting he'll go off on a tangeant and take you out of the match even more, conversely if the match is good he'll usually be good in the box. My real pet peeve with him is when the match looks likely to be over he doesn't try and build the tension much about them getting over the line, he just starts waffling on about their acheivements. That's where people like John Virgo and Alan McManus come into their own.

And Hendry :D

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:As much of an ill-informed bellend as Virgo can be, he is good at making the most mundane thing sound exciting.

WHERE'S THE CUEBALL GOING?

And that old family fave, MATCH OF THE bucking DAY

Postby SnookerFan

Prop wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:As much of an ill-informed bellend as Virgo can be, he is good at making the most mundane thing sound exciting.

WHERE'S THE CUEBALL GOING?

And that old family fave, MATCH OF THE bucking DAY

:D

Postby LDS

I happened across a video on Youtube that included some footage from a second round match at the 1984 World Championship which, weirdly, had Alex Higgins as one of the two commentators.

It's a shame he didn't take that route to retirement rather than the route he did choose, he sounded quite good in the brief segment I saw.

Postby SnookerEd25

I’ve seen that. Got a feeling Willie Thorne was one of the players? Alex was certainly as unique in the box as he was on the table…

Postby SnookerEd25

Thought I came across it when searching for Thorne footage on YouTube, just after he died. I could be wrong, but every chance Higgins did a few stints…