Post a reply

Re: Victoria Bulgarian Open (European Tour 3) Discussion !!!

Postby TheSaviour

Vallomas wrote:Just watched the whole final on ES2. Shaun definetely deserved this title, he was the best player of the three days and provided quality snooker in the final, too. He potted some unbelievable balls.

Looking forward for the next event!

Shaun Murphy is probably going to take stopping from now on. The thing is what I have known for a many many years obviously, is that basically he plays exactly the same shots as O´Sullivan during the break-building. Cannons, and so on.. But he also plays those shots more carefully than Ronnie, and he certainly always seems to be mentally tougher and more sound than Ronnie also. During this tournament Shaun even overshadowed a brilliant, brilliant break-builder and an overall player Stephen Maguire during their match.

Those shots during the break-building are some a one-inch perfection when etc pink is tight up and a really difficult to play and so on.

Postby Wildey

You are Joking as a Break builder Shaun isnt on the same Planet as Ronnie. Shaun splitting of the pack is very amateurish.

Great break-builders like Ronnie, Hendry and Ding has a strategy when break-building ( When to go in to the pack, which red to make contact with etc). Shaun hopes for the best that's why he loses a lot of frames from 50 or 60 points in front because he breaks down through naivety.

yea Last week it worked for him but he has a long way to go to be considered a Great Breakbuilder.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:You are Joking as a Break builder Shaun isnt on the same Planet as Ronnie. Shaun splitting of the pack is very amateurish.

Great break-builders like Ronnie, Hendry and Ding has a strategy when break-building ( When to go in to the pack, which red to make contact with etc). Shaun hopes for the best that's why he loses a lot of frames from 50 or 60 points in front because he breaks down through naivety.

yea Last week it worked for him but he has a long way to go to be considered a Great Breakbuilder.

You're right Wild, Shaun is a good breakbuilder no doubt, but those clever cannons, when to go into the pack, etc, only the great breakbuilders like those 3 you mentioned plus John Higgins know when to go for them. For instance, Selby too is a greater breakbuilder than Murphy, and even though Selby doesnt score as heavily as he did 3 or 4 years ago, Shaun as you say sometimes just hopes for the best, and that can often cost him frames and sometimes matches.

I would put Shaun's breakbuiling in the same level as Matthew Stevens when both are on top of their game. Very good breakbuilders, but not in the level of the great ones of the game.

Postby Wildey

Clara8633 wrote:That explains why Shaun Murphy hasn't got as many century breaks on his record as the likes of Robbo and Selby.

I Dont rate Robbo as a Great Breakbuilder yes he has improved no doubt but because of his potting he can continue a break when things goes wrong....

Postby Clara8633

Wildey wrote:
Clara8633 wrote:That explains why Shaun Murphy hasn't got as many century breaks on his record as the likes of Robbo and Selby.

I Dont rate Robbo as a Great Breakbuilder yes he has improved no doubt but because of his potting he can continue a break when things goes wrong....

If so, then does that mean Murphy isn't as good at potting as Robbo? The difference between their century breaks is considerable, so I thought it must have been the break-building.

Postby TheSaviour

Clara8633 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

If so, then does that mean Murphy isn't as good at potting as Robbo? The difference between their century breaks is considerable, so I thought it must have been the break-building.

Murphy seems to start matches immediately a very confidently. A fabolous breaks and pots right from the start. That´s good, since basically cofidence is everything. I mean that without confidence one can´t step up gears, and trust that things you have memorize and learn will be there and will come out automatically.

But one thing I haven´t quite undestood is that why some people seems to disrespect Ronnie O´Sullivan´s mentality and approach. I undestand quite well about his sometimes depressive mindset since I have been a bit like that also for a 17 years or so. It´s not bad at all, since once you have been temporarly down and got over it after that it´s always a much much better. You just sort of pick up some things, and the result is usually flawless. And depression also does defence you psychologically in a many ways, there´s no harm in it at all.

Postby Clara8633

I may be wrong, but I think ROS can very occasionally become impatient/mentally weaker during a match if it's slow or awkward - it just gets to him due to his depression. That might have just been the past though.