Post a reply

Re: Can Stuart Bingham beat The Crucible curse?

Postby Alex0paul

Vallomas wrote:Of course, yes. Don't forget than Joe Johnson was one of the few that came so close.

But didn't beat it so your point is?

Postby Cloud Strife

vodkadiet wrote:I am sure many top players will be looking to be seeded 16 next year.

Even though he's the champion, qualifiers will see him as a kind draw if they get him. Especially with the added pressure of defending the title.

Postby vodkadiet

Cloud Strife wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:I am sure many top players will be looking to be seeded 16 next year.

Even though he's the champion, qualifiers will see him as a kind draw if they get him. Especially with the added pressure of defending the title.

Yes, but the qualifiers get drawn randomly, whereas the number 16 seed will play him in the second round, if they both win their first. I am sure O'Sullivan might try and manipulate that.

Postby Andre147

Vallomas wrote:Of course, yes. Don't forget than Joe Johnson was one of the few that came so close.

That's a good point. Who'd have thought back in 1987 Johnson would be so close to breaking the Curse by reaching the Final....

I dodnt think Stu will even reach the semis again, but that doesnt matter anything now.

What matters is he's the World Champion of 2015 and no one can take that away from him. :bowdown: :hatoff: :win:

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:

That's a good point. Who'd have thought back in 1987 Johnson would be so close to breaking the Curse by reaching the Final....

I dodnt think Stu will even reach the semis again, but that doesnt matter anything now.

What matters is he's the World Champion of 2015 and no one can take that away from him. :bowdown: :hatoff: :win:

Yes, Joe Johnson reached the final the following year, but he was never really in with a shout, was he? I mean Davis walloped him in 87. No way was Joe beating him again. Same goes for Doherty, walloped by Higgins in 98.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Yes, Joe Johnson reached the final the following year, but he was never really in with a shout, was he? I mean Davis walloped him in 87. No way was Joe beating him again. Same goes for Doherty, walloped by Higgins in 98.

Yet those 2 are the ones that came closer. No Hendry, Ronnie, MJW, Higgins, Davis rofl managed to get that far.

It will never be broken, there's just too much pressure. Selby this year was in probably the best position to do so, and even he lost 2nd round so...

Postby TheRocket

The main reason why Johnson reached the final in 1987 was simply because he played with no pressure whatsoever. By having won the title in 1986 he reached far more than anyone expected and he probably himself expected. He had nothing to lose and the pressure of the Crucible Curse didn't affect him.

He hadn't been in the situation of the Hendrys or O'Sullivans who had the ambition to win the second World title as quickly as possible to become an All-time great.

That's why I think that Bingham has a slight chance to have a good run at least but still unlikely that he'll beat the curse of course. The competition is very strong.

Postby vodkadiet

You can hardly call it 'The Crucible Curse ' when Bingham loses next year. He just isn't good enough to win 2 world titles.
Last edited by vodkadiet on 05 May 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Postby vodkadiet

Ronnie79 wrote:Who would have said he was good enough to win it once. If he doesnt defend it the "curse" will continue

If Bingham wins next year I promise to eat a chicken dinner!

Postby Clara8633

vodkadiet wrote:
Ronnie79 wrote:Who would have said he was good enough to win it once. If he doesnt defend it the "curse" will continue

If Bingham wins next year I promise to eat a chicken dinner!

:shock: