Post a reply

Re: World Championship Final : Shaun Murphy v Stuart Bingham

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:Clearly. Potting balls aside, didn't think he had it mentally after seeing him collapse in the UK semi five months ago, but I suppose he's had years less experience at the top than most of the other top players, who've been around for ages.

He must have worked with a psychologist or some kind of coach since then. That's the only explanation I have how he can turn into such an great competitor and mental giant. The Bingham of today would have put Ronnie away in the UK semis no doubt.

Postby Andy Spark

Snooker Overdrive wrote:How can Stuart Bingham play so well in his late 30s? He's turning 39 this month. Higgins, MJW and Hendry started twitching way before that age. Is the classic decline model outdated?

Decline in your early to mid 30's was always an illusion. The past players didn't decline so much as get swamped by a new breed of player from a stronger era. It always looked like they were declining because of age, however, if the players get better around you then you start to lose and then you lose your confidence.

The real reason today's players are carrying on for longer is the general standard hasn't improved since the 00's.

Postby Skullman

Still won't be any earlier than the quarters. Although, with Ding, Robbo and Selby having much more points to lose than everyone else, they'll have a tough time keeping their rankings up (Ding especially).

Postby Andy Spark

It's been a depressing Championship for me, bucket pockets and the rather random sounding result of Ball Run winning. I'm convinced that bucket pockets randomise things.

Postby Wildey

masterdoctorgenius wrote:Spare a thought for the trumps,maguires,stevens,allens and dings who may never win a wc but likes of dott, bingham, johnsom and doherty do

no i spare no thoughts if they cant win its theire problem its no reflection on Bingham or any one else

Postby SnookerFan

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:Haha that comment will haunt him for ever. A perfect example of think before you speak.

Hard to feel sympathy, isn't it? I mean, why publicly name a player that you think is crap? Even if that player is crap, there's no need to do it. Best case, it's disrespectful and makes you like a bit of a hammer. Worst case, the player wins a ranking event before you do, a World Championship before you've even made it to a final and thrashes you 10-3 in Shanghai. rofl

Postby the_exile

One of the worst days of the year this one. Knowing how long it is until we are back at The Crucible...

354 days and 10 minutes. It's a leap year next year as well to add another day to the wait! At least Barry has made sure there's plenty of other snooker in the meantime... It's just not the same as Sheffield though is it?

Postby hendry_fan

I like reading the posts as well as postin here on Snooker Island,but as there have been so many,i haven,t had time to read em all,i might do over the next few days though. :-D

:win: :clap: Congrats to Bingo,he fuuuullllly deserved this title. :clap: :win:

I did,nt see much of his first few matches,but from the bits n pieces i did see,i gather that he played ok at the beginning,but then got better and better and better towards the end.

In the final,i think he outplayed Murphy in if not most,in all departments of the game.

His temperament,composure was second to none,what an fantastic ingredient/asset that is to have,brilliant how he kept that goin,especially in his matches against Ronnie,Trump and in this final.

It,s gonna be very intrestin to see what he produces in the comin season(s),can he continue this great run and win some more titles,or frequently get to the latter stages of tourneys,or will it be a one off,and he just might make the odd semis,finals,we,ll just have to wait n see.

Hard luck to Murphy.

He,ll be gutted,no doubt bout that,but who would,nt be,gettin so close,so close to winnin his 2nd Worlds,joining the elite handful of players who,ve managed to win it more than once is very hard to take.

It,ll be no real consolation to him,that he played great throughout most of this tourney,as he knows it was a great chance to go on and win it,but it will of course give him a lot of positives.

In this final he had his chances,in every tourney,match you get chances,especially in a best of 35,but he failed to make the most of them,he went down a gear,especially in the lonnng pottin department,compared to what he produced in most of his other matches.

He played some crackin stuff,at times the best snooker he,s ever produced,his breakbuilding,lonnnng pottin was outstanding throughout the tourney,especially in his match against Hawkins,but in this final he could,nt keep that standard up,it was a tall order anyway,as everyone knows how difficult it is to keep up such a standard,to keep up pottin,pottin those lonnnng ones,especially on a consistent basis.

It,s gonna be just as intrestin to see what he also does in the next seasons,years to come.

I,ve as usual had a great time here,it,s been fun bein able to post and read posts here while watchin the snooker itself.

It,s a shame the season had to finish,but on the other hand,i,m kinda glad,as i,m also bl**dy knackered,i,m gonna take a break from here now.

Catch you all soon,enjoy yourselves and take care!. :peace:

Oh,before i go,i almost forgot,....

Hendrys record of 16 centuries,(Centuries - Most In Tournament By One Player - Crucible) is safe for another year. <laugh>

It,ll be beaten some time,and when it does happen,then so be it,it might be beaten in next years worlds,it might take another 5,10+ years to beat it,only time will tell,it,s gonna take some doin though.

Murphy ended up knockin in 13 in this tourney,.......

http://www.cuetracker.net/Statistics/Ce ... r/Crucible

Postby vodkadiet

Ronnie79 wrote:Why put Doherty with a list of players like Johnson and Dott. Doherty was a much better player than that and deserves more respect. He has won a lot more titles than Maguire and Allen anyway.

Doherty was a tremendous player who could have won more than 1 world title. John Higgins produced the best snooker I have ever seen when he beat Doherty in 1998. And Mark Williams only beat Doherty 18-16 in 2003.

Postby snooker_loopy

"Hendrys record of 16 centuries,(Centuries - Most In Tournament By One Player - Crucible) is safe for another year."

Indeed! And Hendry's record puts paid to all the **** talked about standards much higher than in the past. Clearly, players are making more century breaks than ever before but no-one in the modern era has matched Hendry's record seven wins and most WC century breaks. That does show what a special player he was. He is the undisputed snooker king of Sheffield. :-)

But who cares, Stuart Bingham is the champion this year. Well done! :happy: