Post a reply

Re: Can Ronnie win another World title

Postby vodkadiet

He should have won this year. If he had one the last frame of the second session, match over against Bingham, and the way Trump has played he would have beaten him, and wouldn't have lost to urphy. Another one that got away.

Postby Paddpotter

Andre147 wrote:
Paddpotter wrote:
Ronnie79 wrote:He played some of his best snooker ever at the CoC in november. I agree he wasnt up for it this year. He might regret it in later life not trying his heart out.

He didn't play great throughout though. To win a world title you need to be very consistent and O'Sullivan hasn't had that since the masters beating Selby. Never say never though

I wouldn't say since the Masters, because at the CoC this season he played well all tournament and in the Final had one of his best ever performances. At UK he didnt play his best but won it, and at German Masters he played probably some of his best stuff this season but was denied by Murphy on the last black in the decider.

As you say, we can never write someone like him off, but if he truly wants to win another World Title, he'll have to put the hard work in and be in a positive frame of mind, not like he was here.

But whether he wins another World Title or not, Ronnie still has other titles left in him, that much I'm sure. He can still certainly win another Masters title and the regular ranking tournaments. I'd love if he managed to reach 30 rankers, that would be a fitting way to end his career, even if he's stuck on 5 Worlds, I don't care, he doesn't have anything else to prove anymore.

I'm not saying he is finished and can't win more titles because he will. Another Champion of Champions or German masters why not? I think you missed my point about the high level of consistency needed to win another world Championships. He played great at times when he won the CoC but was far from consistent. He won't win another Worlds but that is just my opinion nothing more.

Postby Paddpotter

vodkadiet wrote:He should have won this year. If he had one the last frame of the second session, match over against Bingham, and the way Trump has played he would have beaten him, and wouldn't have lost to urphy. Another one that got away.

He should have won the World Championships if he had won that one frame? :sad:

Postby vodkadiet

Paddpotter wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:He should have won this year. If he had one the last frame of the second session, match over against Bingham, and the way Trump has played he would have beaten him, and wouldn't have lost to urphy. Another one that got away.

He should have won the World Championships if he had won that one frame? :sad:

No Selby, no Robertson; not convinced Trump would have dealt with the pressure. That frame was decisive.

Anyway, it is unlikely he will win again.

Postby Holden Chinaski

It was unlikely for Ronnie to win in 2012. And in 2013 it was so unlikely Wild even said he would run naked in the streets if Ronnie would get to the final. So who knows what will happen in the future.

Postby Andre147

Holden Chinaski wrote:It was unlikely for Ronnie to win in 2012. And in 2013 it was so unlikely Wild even said he would run naked in the streets if Ronnie would get to the final. So who knows what will happen in the future.

Agree, thing is he's not getting any younger, so if he's to win another, it will be even more unlikely than 2012 and 2013.

He can do it, but has to put the effort in and the desire has to be there. Maybe the challenge of winning one in his 40s as he himself has admited often, will spurr him on. But yeah it will become harder by the year.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Muppet147 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Wild even said he would run naked in the streets if Ronnie would get to the final.

There must have been hundreds of terrified sheep that day.

:chuckle:

Postby vodkadiet

boris_the_butcher wrote:Yes of course he can and will. It's a worry that he turned up to the biggest event lacking focus though and that will be the deciding factor to whether he wins again.

He has less than a 50/50 chance now... Similar to Trump in this match.

Postby Paddpotter

vodkadiet wrote:
boris_the_butcher wrote:Yes of course he can and will. It's a worry that he turned up to the biggest event lacking focus though and that will be the deciding factor to whether he wins again.

He has less than a 50/50 chance now... Similar to Trump in this match.

He has no chance. Obviously if you are talking about % things he does. But in reality nah

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:If Bingham can reach the final in the month he turns 39 then Ronnie can do the same in his 40s <cool>

Well if you put it that way SO he certainly can :-D

I don't think it quite works like that, but if Ronnie puts the practice hours in and the desire is still there' theres no reason why he shouldn't at least reach another Final, if not win it.

Postby boris_the_butcher

He was written off after the ebdon debacle and then a year later when Dott hammered him. His game is still there and as far as focus goes, it's an easy thing to gain should he want to. This event has shown there's no one special that Ronnie can't handle when in the groove and I'm convinced he'd beat Murphy 9/10 in a multiple session match. It seems he just needs to avoid selby and do the required mental preparation.

the biggest disappointment I have regards to Ronnie is how he has let selby gain a psychological edge over him cos talent wise, he's not in the same league.

Postby masterdoctorgenius

Sure he can win some WC bit has to work in the off season. But he wont be playing till the CoC and no ptcs wont make him match sharp.

i would love the 2013 style. One year off and then win the WC.

hope he meets stu and selby next season quite often and is up for it

After this season my expectations are very low. Won the CoC and UK. Brilliant season.

Postby vodkadiet

Ronnie79 wrote:Vodka how can you say that. Any player in their right mind would want to avoid him in a draw or a final. Your statement is silly

No doubt many still want to avoid him, but he has lost the fear factor. Sure he has a great performance occasionally, but less often now.

Postby Andre147

masterdoctorgenius wrote:Sure he can win some WC bit has to work in the off season. But he wont be playing till the CoC and no ptcs wont make him match sharp.

i would love the 2013 style. One year off and then win the WC.

hope he meets stu and selby next season quite often and is up for it

After this season my expectations are very low. Won the CoC and UK. Brilliant season.

Did you said that in an ironic way or did you really mean it?

Of course it was a good season, everytime you win one of the Triple Crown events it has to be a good season. Just look at Robbo, after winning Wuxi and reaching Final of Aussie, what else did he do? Nothing, just won a PTC.

Ronnie's season was a good one indeed, especially after winning a title with a sore ankle and one he hadn't won since 2007.