Post a reply

Can Ronnie win another World title

Postby Ronnie79

I think ronnie was not motivated or focused which is a shame. I think Selby beating him last year has knocked a lot of desire out of him. Do ye think he can win another title ?

Re: Can Ronnie win another World title

Postby Dan-cat

It's just a little odd that only 5 months ago in the CoC he played probably the best snooker we've ever seen. So his A game will come back, with the required work.

Re: Can Ronnie win another World title

Postby mantorok

He will always be a contender, for probably many years, but I get the feeling the only way he will win another one is if he's given enough chances, I just don't think he's going to dedicate his life to it, he's made that clear.

Re: Can Ronnie win another World title

Postby TheRocket

He might have one more WC in him. Depends on how much he'll put the hours in and be mentally prepared for the 17 day marathon.
But atm I'd say, not too likely that he'll win another one.

Re: Can Ronnie win another World title

Postby mantorok

Ronnie79 wrote:Does it matter that he is 40 next year ?. No one has won a world title in their 40's since Reardon in 78


It does matter, because one of his goals is to win the world title in his 40's, I think he's more interested in demonstrating longevity than beating Hendry's record.

Re: Can Ronnie win another World title

Postby Andre147

mantorok wrote:
Ronnie79 wrote:Does it matter that he is 40 next year ?. No one has won a world title in their 40's since Reardon in 78


It does matter, because one of his goals is to win the world title in his 40's, I think he's more interested in demonstrating longevity than beating Hendry's record.


Good point, in this day and age, winning one in his 40s would be as good as winning 2 or 3 World Titles.

I think he can do it, but he definately has to put the effort and hours in, and of course be in the right frame of mind.

But even if he doesnt I never thought he would reach 5 from the place he was in 2011, so everything now is just a bonus.

And yeah longevity is more important to him right now, and fair play to him for thinking like that. :hatoff:

Re: Can Ronnie win another World title

Postby Wildey

it will get harder and the pressure will grow every year.


in reaching his 5th he has said that the thought of beating hendry's 7th was not on his mind but now on a 5th its in touching distance and the pressure will get worst every year he doesn't get to 6

Re: Can Ronnie win another World title

Postby TheRocket

Wildey wrote:it will get harder and the pressure will grow every year.


in reaching his 5th he has said that the thought of beating hendry's 7th was not on his mind but now on a 5th its in touching distance and the pressure will get worst every year he doesn't get to 6


I think, trying to equal Steve Davis six WC's put him under a lot of pressure as well.

Re: Can Ronnie win another World title

Postby mantorok

Wildey wrote:it will get harder and the pressure will grow every year.


in reaching his 5th he has said that the thought of beating hendry's 7th was not on his mind but now on a 5th its in touching distance and the pressure will get worst every year he doesn't get to 6


This appeared to be the difference this year, and last year. He just wasn't as good as he was in 2012/13 and I think you are absolutely right about the pressure, matching Davis et al at 6 world titles is a massive ask not only at his age but with the quality of players around.

Re: Can Ronnie win another World title

Postby vodkadiet

mantorok wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
mantorok wrote:"Gutted to have lost well done to stu.. I'm defo back next year .. Can't wait for the new season"

https://twitter.com/ronnieo147/status/5 ... 3098062848


Famous last words.....


Was sent at 2:55AM, so it's positive reaction fairly soon after the event.

.
After a few vodkas maybe?!!!!

Who knows? I am sure he will be back. However, if he starts losing regularly, he may stop playing immediately.

Re: Can Ronnie win another World title

Postby GreenRiver

I don't think being 40 is the problem.

If George Foreman can regain the World Heavyweight title aged 45 I don't see any reason why becoming world snooker champion in your 40s should seem impossible, especially to someone who is as dedicated to physical fitness as Ronnie is.

What bothers me is that Ronnie just doesn't look as though he's been up for it this year. The scary thing is that Bingo didn't even play well, except for the last session.

Ronnie never showed much of anything during the whole tournament. In the Masters he was unconvincing in the early rounds before getting battered by Robbo and admitted afterwards that it was "waiting to happen". Although he won the UK, he scraped over the line in the end. It wasn't vintage Ronnie.

Ronnie is unpredictable so we could see a return to form next year but I don't say that with any confidence.

Re: Can Ronnie win another World title

Postby Paddpotter

Ronnie79 wrote:He played some of his best snooker ever at the CoC in november. I agree he wasnt up for it this year. He might regret it in later life not trying his heart out.


He didn't play great throughout though. To win a world title you need to be very consistent and O'Sullivan hasn't had that since the masters beating Selby. Never say never though

Re: Can Ronnie win another World title

Postby Paddpotter

mantorok wrote:
Ronnie79 wrote:Does it matter that he is 40 next year ?. No one has won a world title in their 40's since Reardon in 78


It does matter, because one of his goals is to win the world title in his 40's, I think he's more interested in demonstrating longevity than beating Hendry's record.


That wasn't a goal though that was O'Sullivan realising lady time was about to catch up with him. He got scared at the approaching 40 and was trying to reassure himself psychologically. It was never a realistic goal.

Re: Can Ronnie win another World title

Postby Andre147

Paddpotter wrote:
Ronnie79 wrote:He played some of his best snooker ever at the CoC in november. I agree he wasnt up for it this year. He might regret it in later life not trying his heart out.


He didn't play great throughout though. To win a world title you need to be very consistent and O'Sullivan hasn't had that since the masters beating Selby. Never say never though


I wouldn't say since the Masters, because at the CoC this season he played well all tournament and in the Final had one of his best ever performances. At UK he didnt play his best but won it, and at German Masters he played probably some of his best stuff this season but was denied by Murphy on the last black in the decider.

As you say, we can never write someone like him off, but if he truly wants to win another World Title, he'll have to put the hard work in and be in a positive frame of mind, not like he was here.

But whether he wins another World Title or not, Ronnie still has other titles left in him, that much I'm sure. He can still certainly win another Masters title and the regular ranking tournaments. I'd love if he managed to reach 30 rankers, that would be a fitting way to end his career, even if he's stuck on 5 Worlds, I don't care, he doesn't have anything else to prove anymore.