Post a reply

O'Sullivan's most outrageous comment ever?

Postby snooker_loopy

In an interview from March 2015, regarding playing at the World Championship:

“It’s probably one of my least favourite tournaments,” he shrugs. “Seventeen days is too long."

I can't believe he said that, but he did.

Sure, he is a snooker genius - that goes without saying - but that comment is the most dumb thing I think I've ever heard him from him. If he genuinely believes that, wow, the guy is a total fake. It changes my view of him. I thought he loved the tournament, it meant everything to him. Apparently not. I'm amazed he would say it's one of his least favourite tournaments.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/m ... ampionship

Re: O'Sullivan's most outrageous comment ever?

Postby RoddickAndy

You shouldn't be surprised at all. In his latest autobiography - Running (not sure if you've read it or not), Ronnie described how playing in world championship tortured him mentally and physically, that even in 2012, one of his best performances ever (if not THE best in terms of overall performance in one tournament), he always had bad times between matches, or between sessions, feeling that he couldn't do it anymore.

It's the help of Dr. Steve Peters and the company from his close friends such as Damian Hirst, that made him carried on and won it in the end. Even when he was doing well in 2013 world championship, he thought about pulling out in a couple of matches, telling Damian Hirst that he just couldn't do it, that playing in Crucible for such a long time just drained him and made him so stressful.

Let's face the fact that Ronnie sometimes is not great in terms of mental strength at all. Being the most naturally gifted player ever, he had certain issues in the past, which essentially made him not winning those as titles as Hendry did before. But ever since 2012, he came back with the help of Dr. Peters and has been a lot better. In a lot of matches when he was not playing well, given the fact that he's a perfectionist he would just get beat down in the past, while now most of the time he tried his best to compete hard and dig in. He's mentioned many times that if he would've been more patient last year in the final vs. Selby, he would have a better chance winning it. And he regretted a lot.

Postby Holden Chinaski

This could be a long thread, Ronnie has said some outrageous and stupid stuff in his career.

As someone who's been battling depression and other things my whole life, I would hate to be famous and have every word I say printed in magazines and discussed on internet forums.

People need to accept the fact that Ronnie's mind does not work like most other people's minds. He can make
the most outrageous comments, but they are not that outrageous if you know whats behind it. Ronnie's fighting inner demons. Thats why he needs to run and stuff. Thats why he does those silly and shocking things sometimes. A snooker player needs to keep his personal life off the table, and I don't think Ronnie can do that.

I'm not saying he has such a hard life and we should all feel sorry for him, after all many people have to battle the same demons and dont have the wealth and luxury he has, I'm just saying you have to put everything he says into context and understand he has many moods and is not like most other people.
I'm not trying to defend him, he can be a bellend sometimes, I just know how it feels to have inner demons and be mentally unstable and I know I have said many things in my life myself I regret and I'm happy those things are not printed in magazines and discussed on the internet.

Ronnie is priviliged, he can make lots of money doing the thing he loves, but that doesn't make the inner demons go away.
Ronnie's last book is a must read if you want to talk about him.

Anyway I think the most outrageous thing Ronnie has said is that stuff about Hendry. Ronnie has apologized many times for saying that. He respects Hendry a lot so I think he feels really bad about saying that.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Ander wrote:What did he say about Hendry?

In 2002 Ronnie said he was going to send Hendry "back to his sad little life in Scotland". Ronnie has apologised and said he respects Hendry a lot.

Postby SnookerFan

armchair de critique wrote:
Ander wrote:What did he say about Hendry?

send him back to his sad life....along those lines. At the time ROS was friends with Prince Naseem I believe. :|

Have you seen Naz now? He put on a lot of weight.

Postby snooker_loopy

Ronnie made another awful comment a few years ago:

"Get them with, maybe, Stephen Hendry, Ding Junhui, Neil Robertson and Judd Trump and you have a show. These are the players people want to see. The rest, like Ali Carter, are making up the numbers."

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/osu ... 59118.html

I thought this was very disrespectful to the other players. Also, given Ali Carter's ill health - not to mention Ali Carter has made it to two WC finals (a fantastic achievement for any pro player) - it was a bad taste comment.

I don't think Ronnie is a bad person - just speaks a lot without thinking what he's going to say.

Postby GreenRiver

I think sometimes people take things Ronnie says a bit too seriously. I think Ronnie sometimes likes to say stuff to wind people up. Also, I think there is definitely a germ of truth in what Ronnie is saying - because the World Championship is the most prestigious event and lots of money is at stake there is too much pressure involved for players to really enjoy it. Probably the more run of the mill tournaments are more enjoyable to play because you can relax more.

Postby Clara8633

GreenRiver wrote:I think sometimes people take things Ronnie says a bit too seriously. I think Ronnie sometimes likes to say stuff to wind people up. Also, I think there is definitely a germ of truth in what Ronnie is saying - because the World Championship is the most prestigious event and lots of money is at stake there is too much pressure involved for players to really enjoy it. Probably the more run of the mill tournaments are more enjoyable to play because you can relax more.

Yes, I also don't think there was anything wrong with that comment about the WC; I understand his opinion.

Postby vodkadiet

O'Sullivan doesn't enjoy the pressure of expectation. You will rarely see him playing his best at Sheffield because he feels the weight of expectation. I believe closing in on Hendry's 7 world titles has laid heavily on him. I am sure that is why he lost last year's final, and losing his first final has had a major affect on him. I am not sure he will even play on after this loss. He is 40 next season, and I think he may have had enough.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:O'Sullivan doesn't enjoy the pressure of expectation. You will rarely see him playing his best at Sheffield because he feels the weight of expectation. I believe closing in on Hendry's 7 world titles has laid heavily on him. I am sure that is why he lost last year's final, and losing his first final has had a major affect on him. I am not sure he will even play on after this loss. He is 40 next season, and I think he may have had enough.

Fair comment.

He may not reach another Final yes, but his motivation was still there until last year. Had he won that, I definately think he would try his hardest to get a 7th World Title. Even if it didnt happen this year, he would still be motivated for it.

The fact that he lost it last year almost certainly means his desire is not there anymore.

A shame, but from where he was in 2011 to what he as achieved until now I would have never thought it was possible, so 5 World Titles is a very good number nevertheless. I'm quite happy with it, even if he were to retire tomorrow. He doesnt have anything to prove anymore.

Postby vodkadiet

Andre147 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:O'Sullivan doesn't enjoy the pressure of expectation. You will rarely see him playing his best at Sheffield because he feels the weight of expectation. I believe closing in on Hendry's 7 world titles has laid heavily on him. I am sure that is why he lost last year's final, and losing his first final has had a major affect on him. I am not sure he will even play on after this loss. He is 40 next season, and I think he may have had enough.

Fair comment.

He may not reach another Final yes, but his motivation was still there until last year. Had he won that, I definately think he would try his hardest to get a 7th World Title. Even if it didnt happen this year, he would still be motivated for it.

The fact that he lost it last year almost certainly means his desire is not there anymore.
A shame, but from where he was in 2011 to what he as achieved until now I would have never thought it was possible, so 5 World Titles is a very good number nevertheless. I'm quite happy with it, even if he were to retire tomorrow. He doesnt have anything to prove anymore.

He didn't seem to want to fight for it. I remember when he lost to Parrott in 1994 he said he was 'glad it's all over, the pressure is off now'. I guess innermost feelings like that remain the same.

Hendry never felt like that. That isn't to say Hendry's way was right. He just had the right mental attitude for winning. No doubt O'Sullivan is more talented than Hendry was but Hendry's mind set was exceptional.