Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship (Wed April 29th) Quarter-Fina

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Tonight feels like the end of an era.

Even if it is: Ronnie winning the UK for a fifth time 21 years after his first and making it 5-5-5 in the majors by beating Trump in a decider is the perfect ending in my opinion. :hatoff:

It couldn't have been nicer SO... :D If it's to end, then boy it ended on a high with that marvelous win.

I still think though that even if he doesn't win another Worlds, another Masters and/or UK title is certainly well within his range, especially a Masters one.

Absolutely. Ronnie isn't finished just yet. At the very least he'll win another Welsh Open title <laugh>

Postby Skullman

Just had a look at his post match. Boils down to ROS saying he has no complaints, he's not as sharp as the other guys and he has no intention of really playing all events just to become sharp enough. If he put the work in he thinks he still has the game for more titles, but he's happy with where he is in the game.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:Wow, a lot of sour grapes from Robbo in his press conference rofl

Saying stuff like it looked great Barry had made 3 centuries but they all came from his mistakes and he never created his chances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chr7inaIXs0#t=103

An utterly contemptible person.

If it was Ronnie coming out with this crap he'd quite rightly get lambasted from all quarters.

Postby Skullman

Sounds like that snucar after Ding's match with Higgins.

He has a bit of a point, but Robbo took advantage of mistakes Hawkins made as well as creating chances on his own yet only one of them is on their way home.

Postby Cloud Strife

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Tonight feels like the end of an era.

Even if it is: Ronnie winning the UK for a fifth time 21 years after his first and making it 5-5-5 in the majors by beating Trump in a decider is the perfect ending in my opinion. :hatoff:

It couldn't have been nicer SO... :D If it's to end, then boy it ended on a high with that marvelous win.

I still think though that even if he doesn't win another Worlds, another Masters and/or UK title is certainly well within his range, especially a Masters one.

Absolutely. Ronnie isn't finished just yet. At the very least he'll win another Welsh Open title <laugh>

He could establish himself as the Welsh Open GOAT. That'll do me.

Postby Goldenballs147

I really was willing Ronnie on right up until the very end, but now that it's finally over I'm glad because I honestly don't think he could have beaten Trump in the SF, especially with the way he's been playing these last 3 months.

People are starting to see through him. Over the last few days you've had Shaun Murphy calling him the boy that cried wolf and Barry Hearn saying he wouldn't be missed if he did actually stay true to his word and retire, combine that with the fact that he's starting to lose the aura he once possessed, purely because he's just not putting the work in to keep himself as sharp as he needs to be, and Ronnie is starting to have a problem.

You can tell it's all still in there but ultimately it needs to be more consistent, and if he doesn't want to travel the world playing in every tournament he needs to practice and practice hard.

Barry went on to say that he thinks Ronnie will be around a lot longer than people think and I would tend to agree, but if Ronnie wants to continue earning proper money (chance of a little £1m bonus in a few years time >_>) then he needs to get his chimp into gear.

Postby Skullman

Andre147 wrote:Wow, a lot of sour grapes from Robbo in his press conference rofl

Saying stuff like it looked great Barry had made 3 centuries but they all came from his mistakes and he never created his chances.

Just seen that conference and that's literally 30s max. A lot of it is Robbo saying that he hopes Barry plays well in the semis because he deserves to and hoping it's not like after his match with Dom last year, and many other gracious things :chin:

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:

Just seen that conference and that's literally 30s max. A lot of it is Robbo saying that he hopes Barry plays well in the semis because he deserves to and hoping it's not like after his match with Dom last year, and many other gracious things :chin:

Fair enough then. <ok>

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:

If it was Ronnie coming out with this crap he'd quite rightly get lambasted from all quarters.

get a grip

Robbo is being lambasted from all quarters (what do you think your doing) and will get more tomorrow

Postby Andre147

Goldenballs147 wrote:I really was willing Ronnie on right up until the very end, but now that it's finally over I'm glad because I honestly don't think he could have beaten Trump in the SF, especially with the way he's been playing these last 3 months.

People are starting to see through him. Over the last few days you've had Shaun Murphy calling him the boy that cried wolf and Barry Hearn saying he wouldn't be missed if he did actually stay true to his word and retire, combine that with the fact that he's starting to lose the aura he once possessed, purely because he's just not putting the work in to keep himself as sharp as he needs to be, and Ronnie is starting to have a problem.

You can tell it's all still in there but ultimately it needs to be more consistent, and if he doesn't want to travel the world playing in every tournament he needs to practice and practice hard.

Barry went on to say that he thinks Ronnie will be around a lot longer than people think and I would tend to agree, but if Ronnie wants to continue earning proper money (chance of a little £1m bonus in a few years time >_>) then he needs to get his chimp into gear.

Good post.

He will be around for a few more years yeah, he won't give some of haters the pleasure of retiring just yet. If he puts the hours in like you say and his head is in the right place, he can more titles, not necessarly World Title, but a UK, Masters or just a regular ranking event he's still capable of doing so.

As for the 1m bit, that will only go to those who win all 4 Home Events, namely Welsh, Irish, Scottish and England Open. It will be almost impossible for a player to win all those 4 in a single season, hence World Snooker saying all that 1m thing because they certainly know no player will win all 4 in a season.

Postby Wildey

Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

get a grip

Robbo is being lambasted from all quarters (what do you think your doing) and will get more tomorrow

buck me after i wrote that i decided to have a look at that video and there was buck all wrong with what he said or the way he conducted himself in that press conference.

seriously you need to get a grip big time what did you say "An utterly contemptible person." <doh> <doh>

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:
Goldenballs147 wrote:I really was willing Ronnie on right up until the very end, but now that it's finally over I'm glad because I honestly don't think he could have beaten Trump in the SF, especially with the way he's been playing these last 3 months.

Good post.

He will be around for a few more years yeah, he won't give some of haters the pleasure of retiring just yet. If he puts the hours in like you say and his head is in the right place, he can more titles, not necessarly World Title, but a UK, Masters or just a regular ranking event he's still capable of doing so.

As for the 1m bit, that will only go to those who win all 4 Home Events, namely Welsh, Irish, Scottish and England Open. It will be almost impossible for a player to win all those 4 in a single season, hence World Snooker saying all that 1m thing because they certainly know no player will win all 4 in a season.

Yeah, it's like me coming out and saying I will offer a £1billion bonus, but to earn it you have make a 147 break in every frame you play next season. Completely impossible.

Hearn probably feels safe in the knowledge that it's very unlikely he will ever have to pay out this £1m.

It makes for a great PR story, though.

Postby hendry_fan

Commiserations to Robbo and Gj.

Loosin a match like that is gut wrenchin,but most players experience defeats like that.

On first glance it,s nuts when you look at the breaks Robbo made in this match,but Hawkins pretty much equalled him.

Robbo= 115,70,65,50,*130*,*141*,90,65,*142*

Barry did verrrrry well himself,....98,96,*108*,*108*,*104*,*109*,76,61

A very high standard indeed was this match,the safety was also brilliant for most of it.

So,very well done to both,shame there had to be a loser.

On a short note regardin Ronnie,....

It might sound a bit silly,but even though he,s now been kicked out,which i,m obviously overjoyed about,it would,nt surprise me if he were to still win at least one more worlds,or even equal Hendrys 7.

In snooker you never know,and we all know what Ronnies capable of,but every year it,s obviously gettin tougher n tougher for him.

He actually had a very good chance last year of makin it 6,but blew the lead he had.

I wrote earlier,that no matter how much talent one has,without puttin the required practice in,it,s highly unlikely that you can keep up the standard required to be able to compete.

After Hendry won that magical 7th title,he actually said himself that he did,nt practice as much as he had done,as his life was changeing,his form then started to dip and once you don,t put the hours in and it starts to dip,then the high standards once produced is gone forever,bar the odd top performance here n there.

We all know,you never know what you,re gonna get with Ronnie,after this defeat,he might now really think,it,s gonna be just too much,and that he,s blown his chance to beat Hendrys record once n for all,he might on the other hand shock us and start to put the hours in and pinch more records from Hendry.

What he does from know,remains to be seen.

I,ve always said,if Ronnie were to beat,or even equal Hendrys record,i,d be the first to take my :hatoff: hat off and show 0% sour grapes.
I already congratulated Ronnie on the records he,s managed to pinch.

Hendrys records mean a lot to me,i,m sure more than some,i grew up at the same time as him,(i,m actually only 21 days older than him),i watched countless frames,matches he played,lived the ups n downs he had and hoped,(still hope) that many records of his are/stay safe.

If Robbo had of beaten Barry,then he would have had a chance in beatin Hendrys crucible century record of 16,but he did,nt,so thanx to barry fo that. ;-) :-D

Robbo has snatched a record though,no one has scored as many 140+ breaks in a tourney,never mind at the crucible,he rattled in four of them,a 145,143,142 and a 141. :clap:

Deep down,i,ve always respected Ronnie,i mean,how can,t you.

The times where it seemed,or that i did,nt respect him,were purely due to certain fans of his who were disrespecting Hendry and tryin to devalue Hendrys achievements.

We should be all greatfull,priveliged to witness and have witnessed these very special people,players,they are one of a kind,they might never be matched,at least in the next 50,maybe even 100 years they won,t.

One day a new sensation might come along and even play to a higher standard and start pinchin,breakin records,but by then,we,ll be all long gone.

So on a last note for the mom,Here,s to Hendry and Ronnie. :win: :bowdown:

God,i,m buckin knackered after writin all that,good night all. :zzz: <laugh>

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

get a grip

buck me after i wrote that i decided to have a look at that video and there was buck all wrong with what he said or the way he conducted himself in that press conference.

seriously you need to get a grip big time what did you say "An utterly contemptible person." <doh> <doh>

I didn't see the video either, clearly I should have. I just saw what Andre wrote and took it as gospel. If he didn't say those things then I hold my hands up and apologise.

I still think he's pretty dislikable for some of the other things he does.

Postby vodkadiet

hendry_fan wrote:Commiserations to Robbo and Gj.

Loosin a match like that is gut wrenchin,but most players experience defeats like that.

On first glance it,s nuts when you look at the breaks Robbo made in this match,but Hawkins pretty much equalled him.

Robbo= 115,70,65,50,*130*,*141*,90,65,*142*

Barry did verrrrry well himself,....98,96,*108*,*108*,*104*,*109*,76,61

A very high standard indeed was this match,the safety was also brilliant for most of it.

So,very well done to both,shame there had to be a loser.

On a short note regardin Ronnie,....

It might sound a bit silly,but even though he,s now been kicked out,which i,m obviously overjoyed about,it would,nt surprise me if he were to still win at least one more worlds,or even equal Hendrys 7.

In snooker you never know,and we all know what Ronnies capable of,but every year it,s obviously gettin tougher n tougher for him.

He actually had a very good chance last year of makin it 6,but blew the lead he had.

I wrote earlier,that no matter how much talent one has,without puttin the required practice in,it,s highly unlikely that you can keep up the standard required to be able to compete.

After Hendry won that magical 7th title,he actually said himself that he did,nt practice as much as he had done,as his life was changeing,his form then started to dip and once you don,t put the hours in and it starts to dip,then the high standards once produced is gone forever,bar the odd top performance here n there.

We all know,you never know what you,re gonna get with Ronnie,after this defeat,he might now really think,it,s gonna be just too much,and that he,s blown his chance to beat Hendrys record once n for all,he might on the other hand shock us and start to put the hours in and pinch more records from Hendry.

What he does from know,remains to be seen.

I,ve always said,if Ronnie were to beat,or even equal Hendrys record,i,d be the first to take my :hatoff: hat off and show 0% sour grapes.
I already congratulated Ronnie on the records he,s managed to pinch.

Hendrys records mean a lot to me,i,m sure more than some,i grew up at the same time as him,(i,m actually only 21 days older than him),i watched countless frames,matches he played,lived the ups n downs he had and hoped,(still hope) that many records of his are/stay safe.

If Robbo had of beaten Barry,then he would have had a chance in beatin Hendrys crucible century record of 16,but he did,nt,so thanx to barry fo that. ;-) :-D

Robbo has snatched a record though,no one has scored as many 140+ breaks in a tourney,never mind at the crucible,he rattled in four of them,a 145,143,142 and a 141. :clap:

Deep down,i,ve always respected Ronnie,i mean,how can,t you.

The times where it seemed,or that i did,nt respect him,were purely due to certain fans of his who were disrespecting Hendry and tryin to devalue Hendrys achievements.

We should be all greatfull,priveliged to witness and have witnessed these very special people,players,they are one of a kind,they might never be matched,at least in the next 50,maybe even 100 years they won,t.

One day a new sensation might come along and even play to a higher standard and start pinchin,breakin records,but by then,we,ll be all long gone.

So on a last note for the mom,Here,s to Hendry and Ronnie. :win: :bowdown:

God,i,m buckin knackered after writin all that,good night all. :zzz: <laugh>

I'm knackered after reading it!!

rofl

Postby NNear

Very good and respectful post, Hendry_Fan.

We don't have to antagonise each other after all. I have all the respect in the world for Stephen Hendry. It doesn't have to be about Ronnie vs. Stephen and they are their own men with their own achievements. It's not wrong to be happy that Ronnie lost, after all, we all have our favourites, but we can be classy about it. Even if Ronnie gets to 7 or even 8, it doesn't automatically mean he's greater than Hendry, and frankly it doesn't matter that much. Hendry's legend is eternal. So is Ronnie's. Sport has a habit of throwing new legends at us, so here's to a lot more great players in the future. Am I going to be happy if Ronnie wins more events and Triple Crown events? Absolutely, but it's about him winning and me being a fan of his, not about him "surpassing" Hendry. I'll be rooting for Trump now.

Looking forward to the rest of the tournament.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Nice press conference Robbo!

"I seemed to pull him along with the standard." "He never created much of his own play. 3 centuries looks great but they all came from my mistakes." "I was very confident I could back up my performance tonight in the semi's, whether Barry can do that who knows? We saw what happened to him last year after he beat Dominic."

Such a nice guy that Robbo.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:Nice press conference Robbo!

"I seemed to pull him along with the standard." "He never created much of his own play. 3 centuries looks great but they all came from my mistakes." "I was very confident I could back up my performance tonight in the semi's, whether Barry can do that who knows? We saw what happened to him last year after he beat Dominic."

It's kind of the Australian culture.

In Britain it's kind of expected that no matter how good we are at something, we have to make out that we're a bit rubbish. Also, we tend to prefer players who give it a go, and lose bravely.

Australian's, especially in sport, give more emphasis to winning. Look how good their Rugby and Cricket teams are. Second place is losing to them. So can come across as a bit arrogant to a culture like ours.

Postby Jester82

Great snooker evening yesterday. Goodbyeeee Ronnieeee. Marvellous performance from Bingham. Breakbuilding was so strong. And winning four frames in a row came quite unexpected before finishing it off. He's got my sympathies in the semifinal.
Robbo- Hawk was gripping and thrilling, showing long pots, safety play and various tactical stuff- everything you can wish for and worth every penny people paid for. Hawkins was mentally very strong which I did not expect while assuming that Robertson would catch the decider for himself.

Postby armchair de critique

Did he really say that ??

If he did then was an appallingly unsporting comment. :td:

Postby Holden Chinaski

armchair de critique wrote:

http://www.snookerbacker.com/

Postby armchair de critique

Holden Chinaski wrote:
armchair de critique wrote:

http://www.snookerbacker.com/

yeah I have watched the YT now, not particularly nice from him is it :|

Postby Clara8633

I saw the video and indeed he said some things that sounded arrogant. But I don't think he's an arrogant person - it was just the disappointment that he was so close to winning after playing so well.