Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship (Tues April 28th) Quarter-Fin

Postby Snooker Overdrive

GJ wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Hawkins v Robertson is another fascinating match up. In a regular tournament I would make Neil a big favourite but the Hawk in his Crucible form is a tough cookie. Let's not forget that he beat Mark Selby in 2012 and 2013 here.

we shall see <ok> :-)

I still expect Robbo to win and I picked him to make the finals but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go out on Wednesday evening.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Hawkins v Robertson is another fascinating match up. In a regular tournament I would make Neil a big favourite but the Hawk in his Crucible form is a tough cookie. Let's not forget that he beat Mark Selby in 2012 and 2013 here.

Exactly, wouldnt surprise me much if he beat Robbo here, but Robbo is favourite of course.

Postby TheRocket

As opposed to many others here, I think the Ding Trump match could be a very twitchy one with both feeling immense pressure and missing many balls. That's why I expect it to be a very close match until the end.

The other three have the potential of being one-sided matches , especially the ROS-Bingham one but I have the feeling that one of them at least will be a classic.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:I will reserve judgment. Seen far too many 'match of the rounds', and match ups declared 'classics' before a ball is potted to fall for the hype anymore.

Plus, I end up enjoying a match more. If I expect a classic and end up being an alright match, the disappointment sours the match.

But nothing is topping a hyped match that also really delivers....

A match you think will be decent and ends up being a classic?

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:As opposed to many others here, I think the Ding Trump match could be a very twitchy one with both feeling immense pressure and missing many balls. That's why I expect it to be a very close match until the end.

The other three have the potential of being one-sided matches , especially the ROS-Bingham one but I have the feeling that one of them at least will be a classic.

Trump himself said post-match they have become older since that 2011 match and have developed a better safety game so they wont go all out for everything like in 2011.

Could become very tactical as you say, but there will also be big breaks, that much is garanteed.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:I will reserve judgment. Seen far too many 'match of the rounds', and match ups declared 'classics' before a ball is potted to fall for the hype anymore.

Plus, I end up enjoying a match more. If I expect a classic and end up being an alright match, the disappointment sours the match.

But nothing is topping a hyped match that also really delivers....

A match you think will be decent and ends up being a classic?

That's also good of course. But hype creates excitement before and at the early stages of a match that just wouldn't be there otherwise. It makes you burst of anticipation and glue you to the screen. All that makes the overall experience even better in hindsight.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:It's really hard to predict how McGill will perform. Playing Selby was perfect for him as I already explained before that match. Now people are excepting him to play well and push an in form Murphy.

I think he'll do well, might not be enough to win the match, but he will handle the occasion well, just like he did against Selby.

Postby TheRocket

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
GJ wrote:Aye even if robbo loses to hawk I will still enjoy the semis and final as we are guaranteed a great line up

Only a Bingo win would ruin the semi final line up

Yes. No disrespect to him but even if I was someone who dislikes ROS, I'd rather like to see ROS in the semis, just for the sake of a great semi and a great final as well.

Same with Hawkins-Robertson. I like Hawkins as a player and character and he would not ruin the semi-final line up like Bingo but despite that I'd rather like to see Robertson in the semis because he's just playing superb stuff.

Postby Andy Spark

Snooker Overdrive wrote:It's really hard to predict how McGill will perform. Playing Selby was perfect for him as I already explained before that match. Now people are excepting him to play well and push an in form Murphy.

Well, there is usually a let down after a big win like his, so I would dare to predict he will be slightly disappointing and provide a comfortable win for Smurf.

Postby Skullman

Andy Spark wrote:

Well, there is usually a let down after a big win like his, so I would dare to predict he will be slightly disappointing and provide a comfortable win for Smurf.

Well, he should've had his let down against Selby then, considering his win and especially his finish against Mags. We'll just have to see.

Postby Andy Spark

Another thing to bear in mind is that Mcgill has already played eleven sessions of full concentration snooker, he'll probably be getting tired sooner than the others, especially as the Crucible experience is all new for him.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:I think the best final from a neutral perspective would be Trump v Robertson. It could be one of the best matches of the decade. But as a Ronnie fan I obviously badly want Ronnie to make it to his fourth consecutive final.

Ding v Robbo? Two greatest overseas players ever face off to see who's truly the best?

Postby Clara8633

Skullman wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:

Well, he should've had his let down against Selby then, considering his win and especially his finish against Mags. We'll just have to see.

A lot of the young talents happen to win the best match of their careers against Selby :td: Oliver Lines, David Morris, Luca Brecel, Anthony McGill...

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:I think the best final from a neutral perspective would be Trump v Robertson. It could be one of the best matches of the decade. But as a Ronnie fan I obviously badly want Ronnie to make it to his fourth consecutive final.

Ding v Robbo? Two greatest overseas players ever face off to see who's truly the best?

That would be very good as well but there's just something special about Trump v Robertson. All of their matches are absolute crackers and a world final between these two could bring us the first decider since 2002.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:

Yes that as well.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:

That would be very good as well but there's just something special about Trump v Robertson. All of their matches are absolute crackers and a world final between these two could bring us the first decider since 2002.

Or a decider between Robbo and Ronnie :gag: