Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship (Mon April 27th) Last 16 !!

Postby Cue Guru

Ronnie79 wrote:So jimmy white is not a legend of the game what nonsense. Terry griffiths is defined as a snooker legend and Robertson has won as many titles as him so why cant he be classed a legend

Griffiths is no legend to me, an average player. I'll make an exception for Jimmy as he threw two world titles, maybe 3 away.

Reardon, Davis, Hendry, Higgins and the Rocket, plus Jimmy just for you!

Postby GJ

So the criteria changes to suit peoples agenda depending on who they like and dislike

So in that case

Matthew Stevens is a legend <cool> :hatoff:

Postby Holden Chinaski

Cue Guru wrote:The top 5 players all have more than three world titles don't they? One of them has the tons and 147s record as well.

Why talk about anyone else being a legend?

There are more than 5 legends. Joe Davis, Ray Reardon, John Spencer, Alex Higgins, Steve Davis, Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, John Higgins, Mark Williams, Ronnie O'Sullivan. All legends without a doubt.

Postby Cue Guru

Ronnie79 wrote:I dont like Griffiths but if you know anything about the game his is regarded by all in snooker as a snooker legend. Stevens has only one 7 career titles so no he aint one

Well, you must have a big list if Griffiths is in there on what he achieved and given his talent.

I've got mine down to 5. If I start making exceptions then the exceptions will have exceptions and the list will be hundred strong. Too many legends doesn't make sense, if everyone who wins a World title is a legend and even some that don't, we have a list of 50+ players. That would be silly.

Postby Cue Guru

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Cue Guru wrote:The top 5 players all have more than three world titles don't they? One of them has the tons and 147s record as well.

There are more than 5 legends. Joe Davis, Ray Reardon, John Spencer, Alex Higgins, Steve Davis, Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, John Higgins, Mark Williams, Ronnie O'Sullivan. All legends without a doubt.

Good list. I can stretch to ten! <laugh>

Postby Skullman

Holden Chinaski wrote:

If you're going pre-modern, surely Fred Davis must be counted as well? Pullman can be taken or left, depending on you feel about his titles, especially considering they were challenge matches.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Skullman wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

If you're going pre-modern, surely Fred Davis must be counted as well? Pullman can be taken or left, depending on you feel about his titles, especially considering they were challenge matches.

Yes, I forgot Fred.

Postby Cue Guru

Fair enough if the Legends list is growing but then my top 5 players of all time is a club amongst legends if that makes sense. Ok, so Reardon, Davis, Hendry, Higgins and of course the Rocket are:

Superlegends!

Postby Skullman

Pink Ball wrote:
Skullman wrote:Considering enough people are carrying it on, there's some interest.

That is true, but greatest of all time threads go on a fairbit too. Still rubbish and boring though.

GOAT threads I find tedious. Just choosing the legends has enough discussion that it can be interesting.

Postby Cue Guru

Holden Chinaski wrote:Paul Hunter was well on his way to becoming a legend in my opinion. Ding, Selby, Robbo, Trump and Smurph are all possible future legends.

Maybe Ding will, Neil and Murphy should. Who knows with Trump. I can't agree with Selby, he's like a Griffiths sort of player. But I think they will all struggle to hit the numbers of Ronnie, Hendry and Davis because their era is so much more talented and competitive.

Postby Cue Guru

Skullman wrote:What's your problem with Thorburn? And despite Taylor being tremendously annoying, it's not just the one ball. He came from 0-8 against the best player in the world at the time and won it.

Davis threw that away. Taylor was an average pro, nothing more. I am sick of hearing and seeing 1985, it's embarrassing. Snooker is rich in history, the Beeb should talk about and show other finals. Other annoying Taylorisms 'the great Stephen Hendry' while commentating with him. What a sycophantic creep. Slimy.

Thorburn is the greatest break-builder from a flat back pack ever and he proved. Hang on a minute........
Last edited by Cue Guru on 27 Apr 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Ronnie79

I never liked that thorburn or his grinding style but for winning the world, 3 masters and making the first maxi at the cruci he should attain legend status. I know taylor made a great comeback so has many a player including hendry from 14-8 down. Im just sick of that taylor waving his finger he was blessed to win it

Postby Cue Guru

'He's the only player we can use the word genius about'
'The great Stephen Hendry'
'1985'

Bets on how many times Taylor makes these references in commentary during the rest of the WC. I'd say about 200.