Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship (Sun April 26th) Last 16 !!

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Roland wrote:
It's all theory I know and I've laid out my arguments but then I also placed bets (rare for me) on Selby to win at 7/1 and Dott to beat Bingham and look where that got me. Put it this way: Ding will beat Ronnie in a big match eventually and he's ready now and where better place to get that all important victory over him than the Crucible?

It would be a bit sad if he didn't eventually, wouldn't it? Ding has the ambition to become an all time great and he should have beaten Ronnie already more times than he has so far. Just imagine Ronnie never being able to beat Hendry after the 1993 UK final and having to wait for Hendry to nearly turn 40 to do it again. Because that's basically the situation Ding finds himself with Ronnie.

Postby Roland

Hey, maybe Stevens or Bingham will have him before Ding or Judd get a chance to have a crack.

As for Robbo, I think Hawkins will give him a good work out and McGill, Murphy, Perry all capable so yes he looks good when he's romping through the early rounds but he usually does this, and he's the one I'd pick to come through that section now Selby is out, but he's not unbeatable. Just very very hard to beat.

Postby boris_the_butcher

I don't think ROS is getting to the SFs this year. He looks uncomfortable being there and can see Bingham giving him more to deal with than he's mentally willing to give.

As for Ding, Trump is in a better place to get to the final. I'm not convinced a win over a hapless John Higgins has changed DIng into a bona fide crucible contender. Trump beat him three years ago when he didn't have a safety game to speak about. He'll do it again. How many times has Ding been 'ready' to win this event and then faltered?

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:Swapping to the other half of the draw, who can people see stopping Robbo? I don't see Hawkins managing and things like the Masters final only happen once IMO.

Well only 5 players left really. If you don't believe in Murphy and Hawkins he's with one foot in the final. But let's break it down.

Carter:
no chance

Hawkins:
I think he has a chance. They haven't played each other in a high profile match so far but Barry has a great record against Selby (especially at the Crucible) and that is a good sign because if he can beat Selby why not Robbo?

Perry:
no chance

McGill:
In a couple of years probably yes but a semi final victory against Robbo would be too much to ask this time.

Murphy:
Good chance. He'll be full of confidence against Robbo and that Masters battle scar will have some sort of affect on Neil. Should be a 50-50 match.

Postby Andre147

Roland wrote:Hey, maybe Stevens or Bingham will have him before Ding or Judd get a chance to have a crack.

As for Robbo, I think Hawkins will give him a good work out and McGill, Murphy, Perry all capable so yes he looks good when he's romping through the early rounds but he usually does this, and he's the one I'd pick to come through that section now Selby is out, but he's not unbeatable. Just very very hard to beat.

Yes let's not get ahead of ourselves, Ronnie can still lose to either of them. It would be a major chock if he did, but since he's not playing great and his head isn't in the happiest of places who knows..,

Plus Ding will have a potencial very tough match v Judd in Quarters.

But I too would love a Ding v Ronnie semi, but a long way to go for that to be true.

Postby Pink Ball

boris_the_butcher wrote:I don't think ROS is getting to the SFs this year. He looks uncomfortable being there and can see Bingham giving him more to deal with than he's mentally willing to give.

As for Ding, Trump is in a better place to get to the final. I'm not convinced a win over a hapless John Higgins has changed DIng into a bona fide crucible contender. Trump beat him three years ago when he didn't have a safety game to speak about. He'll do it again. How many times has Ding been 'ready' to win this event and then faltered?

Higgins wasn't hapless. He was playing very well in the games opening stages, and was still playing well up to around frame 12 or so. But Ding made fantastic steals in frames 16 and 17, and John's game only really started to drop after those body blows.

Postby Andre147

Pink Ball wrote:
boris_the_butcher wrote:I don't think ROS is getting to the SFs this year. He looks uncomfortable being there and can see Bingham giving him more to deal with than he's mentally willing to give.

Higgins wasn't hapless. He was playing very well in the games opening stages, and was still playing well up to around frame 12 or so. But Ding made fantastic steals in frames 16 and 17, and John's game only really started to drop after those body blows.

Ding from 5-1 down played by far his best stuff this season, almost the Ding from last season emerged after being 5-1 down, so Ding definately had to play well to beat him.

Postby Skullman

Bingo won't beat him. When Ronnie was struggling and 4-1 down at the UK, Bingo collapsed. I seriously can't see Bingo having a vulnerable Ronnie under the cosh for an entire three session match and when Ronnie finds even his B game, I can see Bingo folding.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:A Fu Stevens would be sorta funny, especially after all this Judd v Ding, ROS V Ding stuff.

And Perry v Carter in the other half <laugh>

We're all getting so far ahead of ourselves at the moment. Also I noticed that I should go to bed now. Snooker is on tomorrow <cool>

Good night guys :zzz:

Before you go, you should check your inbox, I just PM you something.

Postby Pink Ball

For the record, I've never been one of those who is constantly predicting that it's finally Ding's year. In years gone by, if he was carrying a pint out to the arena he'd have spilt it. He's been scared shiteless of the crucible. But I've been pleasantly surprised with him so far this time around.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Roland wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:McGill:
In a couple of years probably yes but a semi final victory against Robbo would be too much to ask this time.

He beat Selby ffs

With a superb performance no doubt. But to replicate this sort of form (and nothing else will do at this stage) two times is a tall order for such a young player. I would love him to do it but it's unlikely I think. If he does it we have a new snooker superstar.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:For the record, I've never been one of those who is constantly predicting that it's finally Ding's year. In years gone by, if he was carrying a pint out to the arena he'd have spilt it. He's been scared shiteless of the crucible. But I've been pleasantly surprised with him so far this time around.

rofl rofl rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Regarding Ding, I still have a few nagging doubts. The way he struggled to finished Higgins was a worry. If he was playing a Judd, a Ronnie or a Robertson and the match was close, he couldn't afford to do all that.

Saying that, in the first session against Mavis he was chronic. The fact that he came back to win was impressive. Mavis is no mug, and if you play badly and beat him, well. That's what champions are made of. Hopefully it gave him some Crucible confidence.

He doesn't get through the second round that often. If he can win one more match, get into only his second semi-final, you never know. Maybe my doubts will start to ease.

Postby SnookerFan

Roland wrote:

He beat Selby ffs

After he beat Maguire, people were going; "He's never going to beat Selby though, waaaah!" By the third session on here, people were acting like Selby wasn't in McGill's league.

What a story it'd be if McGill won The Crucible on his first attempt. Seems unlikely, but so did beating Selby according to some.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:
Roland wrote:

He beat Selby ffs

After he beat Maguire, people were going; "He's never going to beat Selby though, waaaah!" By the third session on here, people were acting like Selby wasn't in McGill's league.

What a story it'd be if McGill won The Crucible on his first attempt. Seems unlikely, but so did beating Selby according to some.

:goodpost:

McGill played like a champ against Selby. If he keeps playing like that he could win the championship and that would be fantastic! Stranger things have happened.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Roland wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:I hope Ding wins it. He's a sound bastard but has to put up with a lot of subtle racists calling him a robot, characterless etc. A lot of the English Defence Leaguers that a snooker player attracts. Would put them in their place.

Pisses me off the whole robot thing. He's a genius. He's a complete one off. His cue ball control, all his little top spin shots, controlled stun shots off angled pots and cushions and most of all the way he works out how balls will move after contact. You rarely see him go into the reds and not land on one. Judd is from the smash them and hope to land on one brigade and they go wrong just as much as they do right.

<ok>

Ding is definitely not a robot. Not in the way he plays and not in the way he acts. He shows more emotion than most other players.
It seems the crowd is warming up to him as well. A lot of people seem to be supporting him and want to shake his hand. I think he's a brilliant player and a very nice guy. Positional play is my favorite aspect of the game and he's a master at it.

Postby Wildey

biisk wrote:
Roland wrote:You're a nobody but you've come somewhere where people here will have heard of you or maybe seen you play. It's good to have more people with experience of playing in these conditions to educate those who only see it on TV.

Well I'm an amateur who tried to qualify for the Tour for the last 4 years or so and failed.
So I consider myself the same as the rest of you guys because in the end, we're all posting here.

lets put it like this you have told me who you are and asked me not to mention it but my fiance guessed your family name as soon as i said your first name.

me personally i remember you because ive typed out your name very often on here and i also help out at Snooker.org

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Roland wrote:

He beat Selby ffs

You cant get away from the Fact Selby had chances and did not take them and MaGill grew in confidence because of that but playing Well and sustaining that is not that easy if other players play very well against you.

The 3rd Session was the session Anthony Grew in strength and played his Best Snooker.

ill be honest i thought a 10-6 lead might make him think about winning and go defensive like against Maguire but it didnt he went for the line and dived over it impressively.

Postby Casey

Robbo looks super strong, Magill might give him a good run out but with Robbo's experience I think he would come through with a few frames to spare.

If he faces Murphy it will be different, Shaun will be very confident and they have previous at the semi final stage of the World's.

Postby sundaygirl

Wildey wrote:
biisk wrote:
Roland wrote:You're a nobody but you've come somewhere where people here will have heard of you or maybe seen you play. It's good to have more people with experience of playing in these conditions to educate those who only see it on TV.

Well I'm an amateur who tried to qualify for the Tour for the last 4 years or so and failed.
So I consider myself the same as the rest of you guys because in the end, we're all posting here.

lets put it like this you have told me who you are and asked me not to mention it but my fiance guessed your family name as soon as i said your first name.

me personally i remember you because ive typed out your name very often on here and i also help out at Snooker.org

Wild your fiancée is an exceptional girl. She really does know her snooker at all levels, probably better than most who post here.

Postby biisk

Wildey wrote:
biisk wrote:

Well that's pretty cool, I guess. Thanks for remembering me.

Also, congratz on the engagement. <ok>

Postby armchair de critique

SnookerFan wrote:Regarding Ding, I still have a few nagging doubts. The way he struggled to finished Higgins was a worry. If he was playing a Judd, a Ronnie or a Robertson and the match was close, he couldn't afford to do all that.

Saying that, in the first session against Mavis he was chronic. The fact that he came back to win was impressive. Mavis is no mug, and if you play badly and beat him, well. That's what champions are made of. Hopefully it gave him some Crucible confidence.

He doesn't get through the second round that often. If he can win one more match, get into only his second semi-final, you never know. Maybe my doubts will start to ease.

IF ONLY DING had beaten Judd in that WC semi, I am fairly sure Ding would of beaten Higgo and maybe gone on to mini-dominate. Ding is that good. However as we know Judd won the semi and lost the final.