Post a reply

Betfred World Championship (Sat April 24th) Last 16 !!

Postby Wildey

Image Image ImageSaturday 18th of April~Monday 4th of May at The Crucible Theatre, Sheffield

World Champion Mark Selby has been beaten less than a week since his defence started last Saturday.

Today Title Contenders Ronnie O'Sullivan and Neil Robertson begins their last 16 Matches while Ding Junhui will be hoping to close out his match with 4 times Champion John Higgins and another Former Champion Graeme Dott needs a good start trailing Stuart Bingham 11-5.

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Saturday 25th of April

10am

Barry Hawkins 3-5 Mark Allen Allen leads 8-1
**Ding Junhui 9-7 John Higgins Ding junhui leads 9-7

2.30pm

Allister Carter v Neil Robertson Robertson leads 13-7
**Graeme Dott 5-11 Stuart Bingham Bingham leads 6-3

7pm

**Barry Hawkins 3-5 Mark Allen Allen leads 8-1
Matthew Stevens v Ronnie O’Sullivan O'Sullivan leads 14-5

** Denotes Final Session of a Match

Image Image

Re: Betfred World Championship (Sat April 24th) Last 16 !!

Postby Andre147

A shame I won't be able to watch live the morning session tomorrow of Ding v Higgins, but I'll certainly watch it later.

I'll watch the afternoon one though, and hopefully catch some of the evening.

So good luck Ding, Allen, Dotty ( <doh> ) Robbo and of course Ronnie.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

A word on the "Crucible curse".

I think a lot of people don't really understand the concept of the "Crucible curse". It's not a supernatural power or a god given rule, it's the epitome of the difficulty of defending the World Title. The Worlds are extremely hard to win but defending is even harder. The pressure on the title holder is just immense and the challengers are extra motivated. That's why only one player successfully defended the World Title since the mid 90s. And it was the greatest achievement of the - by many considered - greatest player of all time. To do it on the first attempt is just so unlikely, it's borderline impossible. History repeatedly proved that time over time. So I was a little bit surprised many Selby fans were so confident before the start of the Worlds. But I guess it's a lesson everybody has to learn the hard the way.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:A word on the "Crucible curse".

I think a lot of people don't really understand the concept of the "Crucible curse". It's not a supernatural power or a god given rule, it's the epitome of the difficulty of defending the World Title. The Worlds are extremely hard to win but defending is even harder. The pressure on the title holder is just immense and the challengers are extra motivated. That's why only one player successfully defended the World Title since the mid 90s. And it was the greatest achievement of the - by many considered - greatest player of all time. To do it on the first attempt is just so unlikely, it's borderline impossible. History repeatedly proved that time over time. So I was a little bit surprised many Selby fans were so confident before the start of the Worlds. But I guess it's a lesson everybody has to learn the hard the way.

Yes very well said <ok>

I was also very surprised by the fact when you refered in your other post Selby only won 2! matches from the 4 biggest tournaments this season.

That is so strange, the Majors used to be his biggest strengh for him but this season they clearly weren't, especially that loss v Lines at IC from 4-0 up.

Yeah everyone has to learn it the hard way, and this time it was Selby's turn, as I'm almost sure it will Trump's turn next season if he wins this one.

Postby Pink Ball

Because Selby fans think the sun shines out his bottom (which is no fault of Selby's).

Postby DavieMac

Ofcourse it is a near impossible feat. There is no doubt about that. It's not no coincidence that Ronnie fans like to see the back of Selby. It's nothing to do with snooker, it's everything about that they know Selby isn't scared of him... blah

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:
Because Selby fans think the sun shines out his bottom (which is no fault of Selby's).

I hate all this Ronnie vs Selby stuff, because it implies you shouldn't treat them as individuals. Your opinion on one player, shouldn't have anything to do with your opinion of the other.

Saying that, of the two players, if there's one set of fans who think the sun shines out of a player's bottom, it aint Selby fans.

Postby Casey

All the best of luck to Mark. He would probably take 4-4 in the morning session but 5-3 would put him in a really strong position tonight!

As for Ding v Higgins, I think that has final frame decider written all over it. It's going to be tense!

Postby hendry_fan

Betfred World Championship (Sat April 24th) Last 16 !!

Barry Hawkins 3-5 Mark Allen.

I,m still stickin to my guns,i think Allen will win this encounter.

Ding Junhui 9-7 John Higgins.

I have to admit,i,m not confident anymore that John will win this match,i,like most thought it would be a tough call from the start and it has been so far.
When he went 5-3 in front after the first session,i put him slight favourite,but now Dings 2 frames ahead and now only needs 4 frames,i hate to say,but i have a feelin that Ding will win.

I,m still gonna give him a Come on John though!.

Allister Carter v Neil Robertson.

I think Robbo will win this one,but Ali definatley has a chance,he,s more determined than ever and would dearly love to show everyone that he,s back.

Graeme Dott 5-11 Stuart Bingham.

Well,what can one say for the rest of this one,....

I think the scoreline and the temperament Graeme showed last night says it all.

I,m gonna jump the gun,which i very rarely do and say....

Congrats to Bingham. <ok>

Postby mantorok

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
mantorok wrote:Now that Selby is out Ronnie won't feel too bad when he gets knocked out.

j\k

What? rofl

Ronnie's goal isn't to stay longer in the tournament than Mark Selby, he's here to win the title.

You know what jk means don't you?

Postby Snooker Overdrive

mantorok wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
mantorok wrote:Now that Selby is out Ronnie won't feel too bad when he gets knocked out.

j\k

What? rofl

Ronnie's goal isn't to stay longer in the tournament than Mark Selby, he's here to win the title.

Oh sorry :dizzy:

I immediately started writing after the reading the first sentence rofl :wave:

Postby mantorok

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
mantorok wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

j\k

What? rofl

I've been on here five years and you never realised I was a Ronnie supporter lol

Postby Snooker Overdrive

mantorok wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
mantorok wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

j\k

What? rofl

I've been on here five years and you never realised I was a Ronnie supporter lol

In my defense you don't post here all the time and there are a lot of Ronnie fans here <laugh>

Also I wouldn't be surprised if some Ronnie fans really mean what you ironically mentioned in your comment.
Last edited by Snooker Overdrive on 25 Apr 2015, edited 1 time in total.