Topic locked

Re: Betfred World Championship (Fri April 23rd) Last 16 !!

Postby Roland

Andre147 wrote:Roland as a massive Selby fan you are, I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on this amazing win from Ants.

I read some of your quotes on Twitter though, but how did you see it?

Had a feeling Ants would cause problems after beating Maguire. He had nothing to lose, Selby had everything to lose so the pressure wasn't the same for each player. Ants played brilliantly, his long potting was exceptional and he's such a student of the game he knows all about tactics and more than held his own in the safety exchanges. I take my hat off to him. I've known how good he is for ages and now he's announcing himself. Be interesting to see how he copes with being on the radar now.

Anyway I'm getting behind Ding now and if Judd beats him then Judd

Postby Wildey

Roland wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Roland as a massive Selby fan you are, I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on this amazing win from Ants.

Had a feeling Ants would cause problems after beating Maguire. He had nothing to lose, Selby had everything to lose so the pressure wasn't the same for each player. Ants played brilliantly, his long potting was exceptional and he's such a student of the game he knows all about tactics and more than held his own in the safety exchanges. I take my hat off to him. I've known how good he is for ages and now he's announcing himself. Be interesting to see how he copes with being on the radar now.

i underestimated Ants big time and im big enough to admit that.

i hope he goes on from here and reaches the semis and build a proper career at the very top of the game.

Postby GJ

The Curse lives on :hatoff:

McGill <cool>

I thought his nickname was brave heart why is idiot walker calling him that other rubbish :?

Postby DavieMac

Wildey wrote:
Roland wrote:

i underestimated Ants big time and im big enough to admit that.

i hope he goes on from here and reaches the semis and build a proper career at the very top of the game.

Hopefully he's not a Jamie Jones version '12.

Postby hendry_fan

GJ wrote:The Curse lives on :hatoff:

McGill <cool>

I thought his nickname was brave heart why is idiot walker calling him that other rubbish :?

A nick they,ve come up with is "Licence to thrill",it sounds good,but we already have a bond,i prefer,"The Glasgow Warrior". :-)

Postby Andre147

McGill certainly wont be like Jamie Jones, that much is a certainty allready.

He too has already reached the Quarters of UK this season, should have beaten Ronnie really there but missed 2 crucial balls, yellow and green if I remember to win crucial frames.

He's the real deal I'll tell you, him and Michael White are the biggest prospects we have in the game now.

Postby GJ

Hes a different league to jones

Jones beat an under power murphy and sneaked past Higginson

McGill has beaten Maguire in a decider and then outplayed the WC.

Agree with andre him and Mike White are the best 2 prospects by far.

Postby DavieMac

Andre147 wrote:McGill certainly wont be like Jamie Jones, that much is a certainty allready.

He too has already reached the Quarters of UK this season, should have beaten Ronnie really there but missed 2 crucial balls, yellow and green if I remember to win crucial frames.

He's the real deal I'll tell you, him and Michael White are the biggest prospects we have in the game now.

I agree. He's got a far better attitude than Jones. I'm not sure about the real deal part though. Doesn't score heavy enough just yet and that will hurt him in every other tournament. White is also a big talent.

So was Jamie Cope.

Postby GJ

Andre147 wrote:
GJ wrote:Thanks for the reminder of 2011 :mood:

GJ Robbo had the toughest first round match ever so absolutely no disgrace in losing to an in form Judd Trump. <ok>

Aye true if only he had a slightly easier draw because he played well v trump who was just on fire :hatoff:

Postby hendry_fan

Andre147 wrote:McGill certainly wont be like Jamie Jones, that much is a certainty allready.

It would be brilliant if he were to make the breakthrough Andre,but we should,nt get toooo excited yet,many a time we thought a player would come through and make the breakthrough and not just be a flash in the pan,only too be disappointed. :roll:

I,m not tryin to be negative,i,m just bein realistic,we should,nt get carried away already.

This win against Selby is terrific,no doubt,but he could collapse next round or the round after like a sack of tatties.

It would be great for the sport if he indeed does become a force and remains one for many years to come,especially as he,s well liked and has a great style of play,but it,s easier said than done,especially producing the goods on a consistent basis.

Postby vodkadiet

McGill <cool>

Walker wanted to call him McNugget. McGill said "I don't want to be named after fast food".

:D

Postby GJ

vodkadiet wrote:

McGill <cool>

Walker wanted to call him McNugget. McGill said "I don't want to be named after fast food".

:D

<ok> <cool>

Postby DavieMac

Pink Ball wrote:Stevens personal life has been chaotic recently sadly. I was surprised he did so well against Williams considering, but can't see him pushing Sullivan.

Whats the story with that?... I honestly do not know

Postby Snooker Overdrive

A word on Mark Selby whose reign as the World Champion just ended.

He's had a mixed season, the highlights obviously being the German Masters and the China Open title. It was the first time Mark won more than 1 ranking title in one season. However he'll be very disappointed how he performed in the four biggest tournaments. He only won a total of 2 (!) matches in the International Championship, the UK, the Masters and the World Championship. And one of these two wins was over an amateur.

Overall I think Selby played a decent season which he finished as world no. 1 yet again. But he won't be bragging about his results in the majors anytime soon.

Postby Pink Ball

DavieMac wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Stevens personal life has been chaotic recently sadly. I was surprised he did so well against Williams considering, but can't see him pushing Sullivan.

Bankruptcy, marital breakdown, drink driving ban.

Postby DavieMac

Pink Ball wrote:
DavieMac wrote:

Bankruptcy, marital breakdown, drink driving ban.

Yes, that is chaotic . I know I I shouldn't feel sympathy for Stevens, that pin end should've won the World's. He was sensational at his best.

Postby Vallomas

Fantastic performance from McGill, he was outstanding in the second session and his (almost) clearance to make it 11-6 was the most difficult I have seen for years.

But I disagree with all these posts that give him good chance for the title or favourite against Murphy or Perry. He had an almost perfect match against Selby (who wasn't really bad, except for some poor safety shots in the second session), but it's not guaranted that he 'll do the same in the next one.

I also believe that Perry will be a tougher opponent than Murphy. :-) But I admit that it's not very likely that the Gentleman will beat the Magician.

Postby SnookerFan

Roland wrote:Had a feeling Ants would cause problems after beating Maguire.

Remind me. Were you at the Mags vs McGill match.

I saw the whole thing from The Crucible. Maguire congratulated him afterwards, and told him no to fear Selby, as he had the game to beat him.

I came on here and said Selby was favourite, but like you, said McGill would give him problems. I was interested in the switch in attitude on here. Many people were saying that McGill had very little chance, and that McGill had to be winning the first session heavily to even make it possible for McGill to win.

Last night, McGill was all anybody was talking about. And nobody was giving Selby a chance of beating him.

I don't think he's a star in the making any more. I think he's a star now.

Postby Holden Chinaski

McGill was epic yesterday. If he keeps playing like that the rest of the tour will crap their pants. He has the temperament of a Davis or a Hendry. Great allround player who's not affraid to attack. I see the future of snooker a little brighter now. :hatoff: