Topic locked

Re: Betfred World Championship (Fri April 23rd) Last 16 !!

Postby Paddpotter

Somebody mentioned earlier that Selby was playing mind games or something? I don't see the problem with getting under the skin. Obviously there is a line that you don't cross but some of the most exciting sporting moments are where somebody is made to crumble. The only thing I noticed from Selby(apart from playing on for snookers galore), was he lightened the mood when he was under pressure? The smiles, a bit of chat? not really high end psychology. Wouldn't bother me

Postby Pink Ball

Skullman wrote:I think some people just look for excuses to dislike him...

I always find it funny how Selby fans dislike Sullivan and Sullivan fans seem to dislike Selby, while the fans also dislike each other. Both cracking players. Sullivan will go down as a greater player than Selby, of course, but Selby has to be admired for his will to win and matchplay.

Postby Paddpotter

Seems that way! Snooker is all about the mind at the end of the day and if you have a weak one.. then I'm sorry you won't be successful. Sounds like a simple statement to make but so many people are oblivious to this it scares me. Even worse people that think it's wrong for a professional sportsman to use this as an advantage.

Postby Andre147

Pink Ball wrote:

I always find it funny how Selby fans dislike Sullivan and Sullivan fans seem to dislike Selby, while the fans also dislike each other. Both cracking players. Sullivan will go down as a greater player than Selby, of course, but Selby has to be admired for his will to win and matchplay.

Yes I agree, I for one never disliked Selby, in fact he's one of the greatest characters on the tour, but obviously I never enjoy his wins over Ronnie. I respect him tremendously as a player though, always have. My liking regarding Selby is very similar to Higgins, always respected them, but not their greatest fan of course.

Postby Dan-cat

Andre147 wrote:Yes I agree, I for one never disliked Selby, in fact he's one of the greatest characters on the tour, but obviously I never enjoy his wins over Ronnie. I respect him tremendously as a player though, always have. My liking regarding Selby is very similar to Higgins, always respected them, but not their greatest fan of course.

Couldn't have put it better.

Postby Paddpotter

conors9 wrote:Probably on my own here but I quite fancy the winner to come out of the potentially Selby v Murphy match, obviously can't count out McGill in particular as well as Perry. Smurph playing very well, as consistent as anyone.

Maybe I'm looking at things too negative but there was certain little moments from Murphy that told me he had no chance this year. He didn't look like a World Champion to me! But I have not watched much Snooker this year so I don't even trust my own opinion atm

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:

He does provide plenty of ammunition, tbf.

Beating Ronnie in The Crucible final....

Beating Ronnie in The Masters final....

Beating Ronnie in the Welsh Open final....

Postby Clara8633

SnookerFan wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

He does provide plenty of ammunition, tbf.

Beating Ronnie in The Crucible final....

Beating Ronnie in The Masters final....

Beating Ronnie in the Welsh Open final....

<laugh>

Postby Holden Chinaski

What I find interesting about Selby is how he's able to play that well without being able to keep his head still on the shot. It's amazing he can pot a bal the way he shakes his head on every shot. I wonder why he's unable to keep his head still?

Anyway, about Selby, I respect him he's a great player. Very strong mentally. I don't enjoy his style very much but I can't deny he's a very strong player.

Ronnie is the Alex Higgins of today (although his playing style and titles record is closer to Hendry) and Selby is the Cliff Thorburn (grinder) of today. Most people will always support the Alex type while others will be offended by the Alex type, and most people will always hate the Thorburn type while others will respect the Thorburn type.

The day there are no more Alex-Jimmy-Ronnie type of players battling against Davis-Thorburn- Selby type players is the day people will stop watching snooker. The key to snooker's popularity is having a flamboyant talented but flawed player with an attacking and artistic playing style play against a grinder who you have to scrape off the table and thinks a lot about every shot and uses mind games.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
GJ wrote:Ronnie :

" Im thinking 13-0 against Matthew hes no threat all "

Abit arrogant .......

Arrogant, or accurate? rofl

If Ronnie plays like he did against Steadman and Stevens plays like he did against Williams it will be closer to 13-0 to Matthew.

But it doesn't work like that

Postby SnookerEd25

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:I was just thinking that it's not out of the realm of possibility that not a single qualifier reaches the quarter final stage. When was the last time that happened?

That was a strange tournament. With so many seeds progressing we had some good last 16 and especially quarter final matches, the semis and the final however were disappointing.

I don't know, I thought Mark Allen coming from 3-13 to 13-17 against Higgins was one of the great (though ultimately futile) comebacks

Postby masterdoctorgenius

Eveey player is commenting on ronnie.

Trump said: "He likes attention, I don't know whether he did it on purpose or not, who knows. We've got the same size but I don't think my shoes would quite fit his image.

"In the spectator's eyes maybe he is the man to beat here. In my eyes, Neil Robertson is probably the underdog and favourite to win the tournament.

"Ronnie is obviously a good player but I am confident of beating anyone.

"A lot of players are playing well, a lot of the big guns and top players fancy their chances and are quietly confident this year."

------
When asked about O'Sullivan, Murphy, following his 10-3 first round win over Robin Hull at this year's tournament, said: "Everyone takes the things he says with a pinch of salt.
"Nobody believes him anymore when he says he's going to give up snooker."
The 2005 world champion added: "We've all seen it for so many years. We prefer it when he just gets on with it because we're all thankful that somebody like him is in our sport. His abilities as a snooker player have never been in doubt."

Postby Andre147

Masterdoctor some players are making comments about Ronnie because the reporter asked them directly what they thought. They wouldn't do it on their own if they were not asked. And what they said there is true, no real fuss about it.