Topic locked

Re: World Championship (Thurs April 23rd) Last 32 & Last 16

Postby AC or LT?

Wildey wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:It's pretty simple. As it is we have a concluding match every session and if these two matches are already pretty much decided as it is the case today we can watch both of the more interesting last 16 matches.

The only question I have: why not 3 sessions today?

Because they want the tournament to finish on bank holiday Monday and as such need a couple of 2 session days he and there.

That's another problem right there. Bank holiday is a British thing and for the sport to grow it's counterproductive that the biggest snooker day of the year is taking place on a regular weekday for mainland Europe and many other countries.

Erm, May Day isn't exactly a British thing...

May Day in other parts of the World falls on 1st of May this year that is Friday.

The only real solution is forcing some poor sod to recloth the tables on a Wednesday night?

Postby Dan-cat

TheSaviour wrote:I watched those 147s efforts from Ricky Walden, Ronnie O´Sullivan and Ding Junhui. 13 reds and 13 blacks, but those last two reds are always going to be the most difficult to make, aren´t they.. Lot´s of overrunning from Ding. Still think he will beat John Higgins..

I still can't believe that Ding took that blue.

If you do a youtube search for '147 attempt' you find some fascinating and exciting breaks. One which springs to mind is when Ronnie beat future World Champion 'Silky smooth' Selty 6 - 0 in the UK last year. He made the maxi in the final frame, but he had a go at one the frame before and in that break are more outrageous and brilliant shots than in the actual 147.

'When it went to 104, I knew it was going to be a 147'

Postby SnookerFan

Got tomorrow off.

Just trying to decide which matches to watch. I'm trying to fit in as many full matches as possible. (Ie, I'm prioritising matches I can see all three sessions of.)

Doing it in this fashion, I can see all three sessions of Ronnie vs Matthew Stevens and all three sessions of John Higgins vs Ding. Unfortunately, the third match is Bingham vs Dott I see all three sessions of. And with respect to both men, that wasn't one that struck me as a standout match. But you can never tell, it's hard to cool.

Also, I'll see two sessions of Perry vs Probably Murphy. Sadly, that's the match I'll have to miss the end of.

Postby Wildey

Lucky wrote:The whole of world time is based on Greenwich. .....so it's only right that sporting events are centered on England. That's what makes us great.

yea right <doh>

Postby Dan-cat

Skullman wrote:I remember that max attempt by ROS. I was in the arena at the time and called it on the first black.

:) Ace! There's an outrageous red to the middle just before he breaks down.

I was at the 147 in the final frame of the Welsh against Ding. I walked right past Ronnie on the way back into the arena just before and gave him a big smile. Then he knocked in a maxi for my birthday :)

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
Skullman wrote:I remember that max attempt by ROS. I was in the arena at the time and called it on the first black.

:) Ace! There's an outrageous red to the middle just before he breaks down.

I was at the 147 in the final frame of the Welsh against Ding. I walked right past Ronnie on the way back into the arena just before and gave him a big smile. Then he knocked in a maxi for my birthday :)

That was nice of him.

Postby Dan-cat

Yes I thanked him personally afterwards, and he said he could tell it was my birthday (I was wearing my birthday cake on my head at the time) and so he had a word with Ding and said to him 'stick me on a red I'll do a maxi for this guy it's his birthday'

Postby hendry_fan

Mark Selby v Anthony McGill Selby leads 2-1
**Judd Trump 7-2 Stuart Carrington Never played before

7pm

**Shaun Murphy 7-2 Robin Hull Murphy leads 2-0
Ding Junhui v John Higgins Ding junhui leads 9-7

The Trump/Carrington,Murphy/Hull matches= no comment.

Selby v McGill.

Well,with me it,s always the Scots who i root for first,but if McGill loses which he probably will,i certainly won,t be dissapointed as Selbys also one of my favourite players. :-)

Ding v Higgins.

I personaly think this one is a very tough one to call.
Both are just about as unpredictable as each other at the mom.

Everyone knows Dings had a disasterous season and the disaster continued in the first few frames he played against Mavis,but after bein 4-0 down he finaly got the finger out and produced the goods.

This little good run he showed against Mavis still has,nt convinced me that he,ll continue to produce though,in fact i won,t be suprised at all if he starts to mis-fire again and reproduces the drivvel he,s produced for most of the season.

Hats off :hatoff: to Higgins,i really thought he was gone,well n truly,but out of the blue the dumpling ended up winnin the Welsh Open (for a record breakin 4th time) and since then has played pretty good stuff,especially in his first round match against Milkins,in that very match he rattled in a century,plus three 70+,three 60+ breaks. :-)

As i say,i think it,s a tough one to call,even though he,s found and been able to maintain some good form,i also won,t be surprised if he collapses in this match.

Either way,it,s gonna be an very intrestin match.

COME ON JOHN!.

Postby Skullman

Dan-cat wrote:Yes I thanked him personally afterwards, and he said he could tell it was my birthday (I was wearing my birthday cake on my head at the time) and so he had a word with Ding and said to him 'stick me on a red I'll do a maxi for this guy it's his birthday'

The only thing Ronnie does for my birthday is not turn up to the Wuxi Classic.

Which is all I really wanted from him, tbh.

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Higgins vs Ding later.

Discuss.

Ding will win easily if he can keep his head together, that's a big if these days though.

He looked very much at ease though on Tuesday, both during and after the match. That's a new one for him at the Crucible.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Higgins vs Ding later.

Discuss.

Ding will win easily if he can keep his head together, that's a big if these days though.

That's a big if. And Higgins, despite not having the same form that he used to, is mentally stable.

This one is tough to call.

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:Something has just occurred to me. Wasn't this supposed to be the most open WC in ages? Yet few very qualifiers made it through.

Open as in there's no clear favourite amongst the contenders. It's good that very few qualifiers got through, they would only have shat themselves later in the tournament.