Topic locked

Re: Betfred World Championship Pre Tournament Discussion !!!

Postby PoolBoy

Yeah, disappointed John Parrott has obviously had a change of mind after strongly hinting at the Seniors Championship that he was practicing again with a view to entering.

Tough draw for Reanne Evans! Ken will surely, simply have far too much experience for her, particularly over the 19-frame format.
Jimmy White v James Wattana is, a stand-out tie.

Some unusual names from 'developing' countries - but also some very competitive amateurs from the top-up list such as Eden Sharav, Ashley Carty and Jamie Rhys Clark.
With this all due to start on Wednesday, and with only a 3-day gap before the Crucible, we've almost got a month of World Championship snooker!

Indeed, I don't view these as 'qualifiers' but rather like the FA Cup with 5 rounds before the quarters - the opening round at the Crucible effectively being the 4th round.
Game on!

Postby fridge46

Has Ratchayothin Yotharuck resigned his tour card?

He is towards then end of his 2 year stint and has not entered here.

Furthermore, he has entered the Asian U21 Championship (April 7-13) - the winner receives a 2 year tour card!!!

Re: Baic Motor China Open Final Discussion !!!

Postby Clara8633

Muppet147 wrote:
Clara8633 wrote:
Even if he loses, it won't be 10-1 or 10-2, so you will be seen as far from a genius.

Why don't you enter a prediction contest to prove your excellent prediction skills? :chuckle:

To be honest, I've entered a couple of those contests and I usually get bored and forget to continue.

However, I may enter the next one just to show what great insight I have.

If you do, you must predict a 10-1 or 10-2 first round loss for Selby in order to successfully demonstrate your "great insight" <ok> I'll be keeping an eye out for it.

Postby GJ

fridge46 wrote:Has Ratchayothin Yotharuck resigned his tour card?

Furthermore, he has entered the Asian U21 Championship (April 7-13) - the winner receives a 2 year tour card!!!

Thoughts mr wild :happy:

Postby GJ

fridge46 wrote:Has Ratchayothin Yotharuck resigned his tour card?

Thoughts mr wild :happy:

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Selby is a man who can beat the 'curse'. IMO the strongest contender for the worlds. Trump is a close second. Ronnie is in a hate snooker phase so not really a threat. Anyone who thinks Robbo is a contender is already on the castlemain xxxx. Ding - hahahaha

Postby Andre147

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:Selby is a man who can beat the 'curse'. IMO the strongest contender for the worlds. Trump is a close second. Ronnie is in a hate snooker phase so not really a threat. Anyone who thinks Robbo is a contender is already on the castlemain xxxx. Ding - hahahaha

You think that about Ronnie, but he was in a similar mood in 2008 and most people were saying the same as you and he won the whole thing. I'm not saying he will win it, but his mood isn't that much of a factor, it's how much he still wants it and about winning frames in one visit and not miss silly shots like he's done recently. Also, it's great he isn't the favourite this year, like in 2008, that will definately work in his advantage.

I also think it may end up with a Robbo v Trump Final, as I don't think Selby will beat those 2 hoodoos, especially the Crucible one.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

PoolBoy wrote:But Ronnie IS the favourite!!! And overwhelmingly so. I've just had a look at Oddschecker and ALL 20 listed bookies have Ronnie as a clear favourite.
The 'closest' I can find is SKYbet who have Trump at 11/2 with Ronnie at 5/2.

Ronnie is ALWAYS the favourite.

Postby TheSaviour

I think that Ding, Fu, Ebdon and O´Sullivan are the four players who has the most chanches to win it this year 2015. And the fifth one behind them I would rate Mark Williams now.

Ding finally played some super stuff when reaching the semis in his home country, China. I feel he is a sterner job than his this season result´s points out. He could and should be an in-form in Sheffield. Which means he is one of the hottest favourites to go all the way. Even if his previous results in Sheffield hasn´t been that great considering his other successes and capabilities. I was a very suprised and disappointed when he lost that semi against Gary Wilson. It was a close one 6-5 to Gary. I guess sometimes it is just how players games to match u, and who are whose "bogeyman". For example this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5C18a24Kc0 I found that great footage Mark Williams playing 9-ball (race to 5) against the very best, Earl "the Pearl" Strickland back in 2003. Earl played that (30.00) out of this world shot when it was 3-3. Just check that out. But the thing is, you could tell Earl was a very relaxed and extremely confident then and there, and that´s because he obviously figured out Mark wasn´t able to play good enough (for Earl). Even it was 3-3, and Mark played some allrite-stuff, but obviously it just wasn´t good enough against Earl. In a way Mark played really good, but he also messed up some basic pool-tactics and shot selections. Fair play to Mark anyway that he was there to play 9ball against the great Earl the Pearl.
And then check out also Strickland´s shot (32.00)! I am still a very much into this pool billiards shot-making. If you even can label that Strickland´s playing as a shot making, since he also followed up with brilliant positions. Just like he usually does,

Sorry, that was partly out of the topic, but thought that was a nice footage Mark Williams playing pool against the very best back in 2003.

Postby Dan-cat

Ronnie is still the man to beat at the Crucible, undeniably so. It surprises me that even so-called fans of his don't see it this way. I'm looking at you Andre147! :)

From what I heard, he got unceremoniously dumped by his delightful actress girlfriend just before the Grand Prix. Now I speak from recent painful experience here, I got dumped the same week from a seven year relationship (violins out please Snooker Island) and trust me my usual sunny and optimistic mind frame was tested those first few weeks. And my snooker went to pot (pun intended.) I don't have bipolar or any other mental illness to deal with, fortunately. You could visibly see that Ronnie was struggling with his timing and I'm amazed he even got to the final.

I'm guessing that Dr Peters has been re-engaged and Ronnie will be ready to fight for number 6 come April. If he still doesn't care and hasn't fixed his attitude then sure - he'll lose. I think we'll know within the first few frames of his first session which Ronnie has turned up.

Clive wrote an acerbic tear-down of that Guardian interview in this month's Snooker Scene, stating astutely that if the writer had interviewed him the next day he probably would have got a completely different story.

Postby Dan-cat

The Saviour, I love Earl Strickland. He's a tortured genius very much like our own Rocket. I'm trying to convince my club the Hurricane Rooms in Kings Cross to book him for an exhibition, he's touring the UK later this year.

Back on topic, Ebdon and Fu? wuuut? :)

Postby Dan-cat

conors9 wrote:Am I missing something here or has the Qualifiers format changed? I thought that 17-32 got a bye to the last qualifying round, or has their been a rule change since last year?

Yes, you are missing something. 17 - 128 have to play 3 matches to get to the Crucible. All start in the first round apart from the top 16.

Postby Wildey

conors9 wrote:Am I missing something here or has the Qualifiers format changed? I thought that 17-32 got a bye to the last qualifying round, or has their been a rule change since last year?

During last years World Championship it was anounced that the top 16 got a Bye in to the Crucible but everyone else starts in Round 1 in a flat qualifying system.

in total theres 144 players in this years Championship.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:TWITTER ATTACK!

Jason Francis ‏@Snookerlegends

Reanne wanted to wear the diamonds given by her sponsor @DiamondWales on Thursday but rules say she has to wear a done up collar and bow tie

What a non-issue. <laugh>

She'll look good in either :love:

Re: Reanne Evans watch

Postby darloboy

kolompar wrote:Still no explanation how Ong Jia Jun got a wild card? <laugh>

At the risk of speculation and not hard facts, rumour has it that the awarding of a Singapore wild card is a gesture and a prelude to a potential World Snooker event over there in the next couple of seasons.

There is a video of him knocking in a century on Youtube however, looks fairly useful.