Topic locked

Betfred World Championship Pre Tournament Discussion !!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image

So here we go then 28 Tournaments down and only 1 to go of another packed season.

The build up to the Start of the 2015 World Championship Starts Now and the 39th year it has been staged at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield.

This week at the Ponds Forge International Sports Centre in Sheffield Main Tour professionals, Former Retired World Champions and Amateurs from around the World will be there trying to qualify.

But the Draw for the Qualifying is not Known yet but should be out on Monday.

However the Main Stage Seeded Draw has been decided

Mark Selby (1) v
Stephen Maguire (16) v
Joe Perry (9) v
Shaun Murphy (8) v
Barry Hawkins (5) v
Mark Allen (12) v
Allister Carter (13) v
Neil Robertson (4) v
--------------------------------------------
Ding Junhui (3) v
John Higgins (14) v
Marco Fu (11) v
Judd Trump (6) v
Ricky Walden (7) v
Stuart Bingham (10) v
Mark J Williams (15) v
Ronnie O'Sullivan (2) v

We are now awaiting and anticipating the Qualifying Draw and the 8 day qualifying to get to the Crucible

Image Image Image

Re: Betfred World Championship Pre Tournament Discussion !!!

Postby Dannyboy

Do prefer this format to all players starting in L128. Think there will be the odd shock too. Is Stephen Hendry taking up his invitation? Depending how much he's practiced, he could well get to the Crucible.

Qualifying criteria is a bit different too? Didn't Uncle Barry say there's going to be some amateurs from a lot of different countries being given invites? Makes sense, although would've preferred a few "amateur pre-qualifiers" given a couple of spots. Good to see the WPBSA invites have eventually ended.

£8,000 for winning 1 match!

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:Allen could still be a pain.

Edit: ROS's quarter looks pretty manageable as well. Improved MJW could be a problem, but can't see Walden or Bingo really bothering him.

I agree Ronnie is more likely to lose to MJW than to Bingham or Walden this year. How things change.

The first quarter looks nasty. All four seeded players are in good form.

Postby Wildey

Dannyboy wrote:Do prefer this format to all players starting in L128. Think there will be the odd shock too. Is Stephen Hendry taking up his invitation? Depending how much he's practiced, he could well get to the Crucible.

Qualifying criteria is a bit different too? Didn't Uncle Barry say there's going to be some amateurs from a lot of different countries being given invites? Makes sense, although would've preferred a few "amateur pre-qualifiers" given a couple of spots. Good to see the WPBSA invites have eventually ended.

Hendry wont be there

Postby vodkadiet

Qualifiers:

1995: Andy Hicks reaches semis
2000: Joe Swail reaches semis
2005: Shaun Murphy wins; Ian McCulloch reaches Semis
2010:Grame Dott reaches final
2015: ??????????????
Last edited by vodkadiet on 05 Apr 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Postby PoolBoy

Dannyboy wrote:Do prefer this format to all players starting in L128. Think there will be the odd shock too. Is Stephen Hendry taking up his invitation? Depending how much he's practiced, he could well get to the Crucible.

I don't think Hendry's entering, unless he's had a change of heart!
Parrott and Davis said at the Seniors that they would enter.

Postby SteveJJ

And of those pro's currently outside of the top 64 who are in danger of falling off the tour, the only ones anywhere near being in touching distance are Campbell and Hull. (save for someone going deep into the tournament)

On current form you can't see Campbell doing it but I hope Robin Hull does.

Postby SteveJJ

Wildey wrote:

Hendry wont be there

Oh, I don't know about him not entering, I've found some footage of him practising hard against testing opposition.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DImATQ70-Eg

Re: Baic Motor China Open Final Discussion !!!

Postby Clara8633

Andre147 wrote:
Skullman wrote:And that's the title barring snookers. :win:

Now to break two superstitions at once...

That won't happen I'm afraid :wave: The China Open one is hard enough, nevermind the Curse one. Many think this is all bullocks, but fact is I'm almost certain now Selby won't win the Worlds, and I'm fairly happy he won this here.

He will not go as favourite for Worlds for me, even if many consider him to. He's 3rd in my list behind Robbo and Trump.

I thought you said he had about as much chance to win it as Jimmy White. And yet it sounds like you didn't completely write him off before.

Aside from the 'Crucible Curse' and all that, which is spoiling the CO win a bit, I'm really happy that Selby has won 2 ranking events in a season for the first time. It seems misleading that he has much less ranking titles than Ding and Robertson so he really needs more of them. 12 months ago he only had half the ranking titles he has now.

And not bad for a World Champion season either.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:

That won't happen I'm afraid :wave: The China Open one is hard enough, nevermind the Curse one. Many think this is all bullocks, but fact is I'm almost certain now Selby won't win the Worlds, and I'm fairly happy he won this here.

He will not go as favourite for Worlds for me, even if many consider him to. He's 3rd in my list behind Robbo and Trump.

Andre with due respect you have baught in hook line and sinker in to this superstition Crap.

theres nothing at all to suggest without a single doubt Selby cant win it.

People said after the semi finals last year when Ronnie won with a session to spare it would be too much for Selby after a hard faught semi with Robbo he proved them wrong.

the fact nobody has done it is just one of those things eventually its going to happen so why not this year.

Postby Wildey

Clara8633 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

I thought you said he had about as much chance to win it as Jimmy White. And yet it sounds like you didn't completely write him off before.

Aside from the 'Crucible Curse' and all that, which is spoiling the CO win a bit, I'm really happy that Selby has won 2 ranking events in a season for the first time. It seems misleading that he has much less ranking titles than Ding and Robertson so he really needs more of them. 12 months ago he only had half the ranking titles he has now.

And not bad for a World Champion season either.

Clara its pure wishful thinking

Andre did say before Selby did win it and i quote "Selby will never win the World Championship because he gives too much in to every shot he would burn out over WC Distance."

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wildey wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Andre with due respect you have baught in hook line and sinker in to this superstition Crap.

theres nothing at all to suggest without a single doubt Selby cant win it.

People said after the semi finals last year when Ronnie won with a session to spare it would be too much for Selby after a hard faught semi with Robbo he proved them wrong.

the fact nobody has done it is just one of those things eventually its going to happen so why not this year.

Of course me and Andre don't believe in some kind of supernatural occurrence that's preventing first time World Champions from successfully defending their title.

But we know how hard it is for any player to win the title at the Crucible, never mind defending it. Trying to do it being a first time champion is probably the most difficult thing to do in snooker. It's unlikely that Selby could do something that the greatest players of all time couldn't do.

The second thing is we know Mark Selby. He would be most dangerous going into the Crucible after a poor / mediocre season, people writing him off and even his fans doubting him. Like last year. Mark plays his best if he can be the underdog. Your example with the final last year just strengthens this point. But he can't be that this year, in fact he's the favourite. I think that will be too much pressure for him.