Topic locked

Re: Reanne Evans watch

Postby Wildey

Regarding Wild Cards they made no secret of the fact Wild Cards was going to be awarded randomly to who ever.

Every living World Champion got a invite and declined that means Ray Reardon at 82

Postby darloboy

Wildey wrote:Regarding Wild Cards they made no secret of the fact Wild Cards was going to be awarded randomly to who ever.

Every living World Champion got a invite and declined that means Ray Reardon at 82

Would have made for some very interesting matches if some had accepted. Surprised Parrott didn't.

Postby kolompar

darloboy wrote:
kolompar wrote:Still no explanation how Ong Jia Jun got a wild card? <laugh>

At the risk of speculation and not hard facts, rumour has it that the awarding of a Singapore wild card is a gesture and a prelude to a potential World Snooker event over there in the next couple of seasons.

There is a video of him knocking in a century on Youtube however, looks fairly useful.

Well, that's sad. I don't think he ever played in a major amateur event. And Singapore isn't really a big market for snooker. It's just a city state. Would have much rather seen Earl Strickland.

Postby darloboy

kolompar wrote:
darloboy wrote:
kolompar wrote:Still no explanation how Ong Jia Jun got a wild card? <laugh>

At the risk of speculation and not hard facts, rumour has it that the awarding of a Singapore wild card is a gesture and a prelude to a potential World Snooker event over there in the next couple of seasons.

There is a video of him knocking in a century on Youtube however, looks fairly useful.

Well, that's sad. I don't think he ever played in a major amateur event. And Singapore isn't really a big market for snooker. It's just a city state. Would have much rather seen Earl Strickland.

Despite Earl's personality, i'm not sure he could hack snooker.

Postby Cloud Strife

I have to say, I feel more hyped and excited about these upcoming World qualifiers than I did for a lot of the recent main rankers/invitationals.

Re: Betfred World Championship Pre Tournament Discussion !!!

Postby AC or LT?

SnookerFan wrote:
conors9 wrote:Ah ok! Tough on White, Milkins etc

They were banging on about for ages during on Eurosport commentary during the China Open.

And every other tournament since last year, connor can you give me the name of your cave - i need a break?

Have WS confirmed livestreamed matches yet?

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:I have to say, I feel more hyped and excited about these upcoming World qualifiers than I did for a lot of the recent main rankers/invitationals.

the qualifying for the Worlds is as exciting if not more than the main event.

Postby Wildey

AC or LT? wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
conors9 wrote:Ah ok! Tough on White, Milkins etc

They were banging on about for ages during on Eurosport commentary during the China Open.

And every other tournament since last year, connor can you give me the name of your cave - i need a break?

Have WS confirmed livestreamed matches yet?

yup see here http://snooker.org/res/index.asp?event=368#r1

Postby AC or LT?

Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:I have to say, I feel more hyped and excited about these upcoming World qualifiers than I did for a lot of the recent main rankers/invitationals.

the qualifying for the Worlds is as exciting if not more than the main event.

Especially so this year with so many extra matches and being played so close to the main event. I'll give it to Hearn he's got it right for once with this.

Postby Dan-cat

Reanne has a good chance against Ken I reckon. Am I alone in thinking this? She didn't drop a frame at the Legends England vs Irish event a few months ago. I know it's not the same as tournament conditions, but frankly having John Virgo bleating in your ear-hole must make it even harder

Postby Andre147

Dan-cat wrote:Ronnie is still the man to beat at the Crucible, undeniably so. It surprises me that even so-called fans of his don't see it this way. I'm looking at you Andre147! :)

I am a big Ronnie fan, he's always been my favourite player to watch, but most here know I'm not one of his fanboys who denies some clear evidences regarding Ronnie. How can you say he is the favourite when after he won the UK he hasn't done himself justice to be regarded as favourite? For me, Selby, Robbo and Trump are above him this year.

But like I said, this can definately and I hope will work in his advantage, because as I said he was in a similar mood in 2008 and won the whole thing. Ronnie's mood and temperament is like a "who**** drawers" as he himself described it, so it can change so quickly.

He has a favourable draw until semis, where he could very likely meet Trump like he did in 2013. It all depends on how he starts the event and how much he still wants it, but I definately think he has 1 more World Title left in him. Like I said, not being favourite, because whether you like it or not he just isn't, will most probably work to his advantage.

Postby Andre147

armchair de critique wrote:....but he clearly is favourite with every bookie going !!!

Don't mind the bookies mate, Ronnie is always the favourite bookings wise even if he has a whole season out.

I'm talking about current form, not some bookies crap.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:
armchair de critique wrote:....but he clearly is favourite with every bookie going !!!

Don't mind the bookies mate, Ronnie is always the favourite bookings wise even if he has a whole season out.

Bookies opinion outweighs random Joe Bloggs' opinion every day of the week. <ok>

Postby armchair de critique

Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Bookies opinion outweighs random Joe Bloggs' opinion every day of the week. <ok>

Jewell <ok>

Postby Cloud Strife

armchair de critique wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Jewell <ok>

Smart <ok>

Postby fridge46

armchair de critique wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:TWITTER ATTACK!

Tatiana Woollaston ‏@tatiana_referee On the way to snooker capital Sheffield #bestcitybyfar

Do you follow IVY on twitter too, and is she on her way to Sheffield ????

:pres:

Is Desislava going to be in Sheffield too?

Postby Muppet147

Andre147 wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Ronnie is still the man to beat at the Crucible, undeniably so. It surprises me that even so-called fans of his don't see it this way. I'm looking at you Andre147! :)

I am a big Ronnie fan, he's always been my favourite player to watch, but most here know I'm not one of his fanboys who denies some clear evidences regarding Ronnie. How can you say he is the favourite when after he won the UK he hasn't done himself justice to be regarded as favourite? For me, Selby, Robbo and Trump are above him this year.

But like I said, this can definately and I hope will work in his advantage, because as I said he was in a similar mood in 2008 and won the whole thing. Ronnie's mood and temperament is like a "who**** drawers" as he himself described it, so it can change so quickly.

He has a favourable draw until semis, where he could very likely meet Trump like he did in 2013. It all depends on how he starts the event and how much he still wants it, but I definately think he has 1 more World Title left in him. Like I said, not being favourite, because whether you like it or not he just isn't, will most probably work to his advantage.

A fair analysis.

Ronnie tends to get stronger and stronger, providing he can stay in an event. The longer frame format favours him as he can recover from a bad session.

As you suggest, the winner will most likely come from Ronnie, Trump, Selby and Robertson.

But Selby will most likely fall to the Crucible curse, of course. A Robertson - O'Sullivan final would be a treat.

Postby midnightoracle

Ronnie is favourite but only just. It's always tactical by the bookmakers to try stop people putting money on him. I agree that him, trump (second fav) robbo and selby are are the top four. However Ding is the one to watch as I think he's due a run in sheffield. If the winner isn't one of these if be amazed.

I also give reanne absolutely no chance again Doherty in a best of 19. Would love to see her do well but I just can't see it.