Post a reply

Re: The Main Contenders

Postby Clara8633

I'd like Selby to win the CO regardless of how he'll manage at the Crucible.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:You say that, but in reality you could say it has no effect. It's unlikely that wins two rankers in a row these days, regardless of when in the season it occurs.

Last/only person to win China Open and the Worlds in the same season was ROS in 2000/1, and that was when it was in December.

Last person to win the last two rankers of the season was John Higgins way back in 1998.

So you're saying Selby is very unlikely to win the Worlds this year?

Postby Snooker Overdrive

The last reigning World Champion who won the China Open was Graeme Dott. He played superbly at the 2007 CO, beating Robbo, Higgins and Ronnie convincingly on his way to the final. He was full of confidence and thought he had a good chance of beating the Crucible Curse. But what happened on the opening day of the World Championship? He ran with Ian McCulloch into a player who pushed him and the pressure got to him. First round exit on the opening day.

I'm not saying that will happen to Selby but it's a good example of what pressure can do to a defending World Champion at the Crucible despite being in great form before the tournament.

Postby SavoMilosevic

It looks like it doesn't matter what Mark's ranking is (number 3 or 15), he always gets Ronnie in R16... However, I don't know why, but I have a feeling this year we are going to see a shock first round exit for one of the two last year finalists. Is the draw for the qualies available now?

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:The last reigning World Champion who won the China Open was Graeme Dott. He played superbly at the 2007 CO, beating Robbo, Higgins and Ronnie convincingly on his way to the final. He was full of confidence and thought he had a good chance of beating the Crucible Curse. But what happened on the opening day of the World Championship? He ran with Ian McCulloch into a player who pushed him and the pressure got to him. First round exit on the opening day.

I'm not saying that will happen to Selby but it's a good example of what pressure can do to a defending World Champion at the Crucible despite being in great form before the tournament.

Yes fully agree, Selby losing first round here would be a much bigger shock than Dotty's, up there with Davis loss in 1982.

I too don't expect him to, but you just never know with Snooker, something like that can well and truly happen and most if not all don't expect it.

Postby GJ

PLtheRef wrote:
GJ wrote:Winning china open is huge look at the last 2 winners and how they fared at sheffield

:lol:

Robbo hasn't won a match at the Crucible in an odd numbered year since 2009!

:-)

Robbos record with bet fred as sponsor

Semis
Winner
Round 1 to trump no disgrace
Quarters loss to winner Ronnie

bet fred :hatoff: <ok>