Post a reply

Re: Will Selby break The Crucible curse?

Postby vodkadiet

SnookerFan wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:O'Sullivan broke the curse in 2013.


No he didn't.


Sorry, you're right. First time Champion and all that...

Apologies.

Re: Will Selby break The Crucible curse?

Postby vodkadiet

I think Selby will break the curse this year with a 18-13 win over Judd Trump in an entertaining final.

Re: Will Selby break The Crucible curse?

Postby shankly

He's got as good a chance of winning this year as anyone, doesn't he? Don't put much stock in the Crucible curse, personally.

Yes, it's difficult to win two in a row because a lot of things have to go right to win even one, but it's been done before. The way some talk about it you'd think he had a million to one chance!

Re: Will Selby break The Crucible curse?

Postby Andre147

shankly wrote:He's got as good a chance of winning this year as anyone, doesn't he? Don't put much stock in the Crucible curse, personally.

Yes, it's difficult to win two in a row because a lot of things have to go right to win even one, but it's been done before. The way some talk about it you'd think he had a million to one chance!


That's because it's true <ok> And he has never been one to play his best at tournaments when he's the favourite, he always loves being the underdog, and here he won't be, he'll be in the spotlight from Day 1, plus the BBC and co will annoy him to death with the Curse, and I hope they do.

Like CS said, greats like Ronnie, Hendry, Davis, Higgins, Williams, for instance, havent been able to do it, and he just wont aswell. yes Selby can certainly win more than one Worlds Title, in fact I'll be surprised if he doesn't, just not this year though.

Hopefully he gets knocked out first round like Robbo or Dotty were, I'll be surprised if he gets past Quarter-Finals to be honest, will depend on the draw. If he were to somehow break the Curse it would be the most incredible achievment ever in Snooker history, but I highly doubt he'll do it.

Re: Will Selby break The Crucible curse?

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:
shankly wrote:He's got as good a chance of winning this year as anyone, doesn't he? Don't put much stock in the Crucible curse, personally.

Yes, it's difficult to win two in a row because a lot of things have to go right to win even one, but it's been done before. The way some talk about it you'd think he had a million to one chance!


That's because it's true <ok> And he has never been one to play his best at tournaments when he's the favourite, he always loves being the underdog, and here he won't be, he'll be in the spotlight from Day 1, plus the BBC and co will annoy him to death with the Curse, and I hope they do.

Like CS said, greats like Ronnie, Hendry, Davis, Higgins, Williams, for instance, havent been able to do it, and he just wont aswell. yes Selby can certainly win more than one Worlds Title, in fact I'll be surprised if he doesn't, just not this year though.

Hopefully he gets knocked out first round like Robbo or Dotty were, I'll be surprised if he gets past Quarter-Finals to be honest, will depend on the draw. If he were to somehow break the Curse it would be the most incredible achievment ever in Snooker history, but I highly doubt he'll do it.

Point is he is the underdog very few has expectations that he will win it back to back and before yesterday hes had a bad season so if anything winning yesterday was a hinderance going by what you say.

Be Honest Andre he frightens you because he is a player that can beat Ronnie in Majors thats why you want him out ASAP.

Re: Will Selby break The Crucible curse?

Postby Clara8633

Wildey wrote:Point is he is the underdog very few has expectations that he will win it back to back and before yesterday hes had a bad season so if anything winning yesterday was a hinderance going by what you say.


I started to suspect that yesterday. Last season he hadn't won anything except a PTC and as a result no one expected him to do well at the WC. So winning the German Masters might have decreased his chances of defending the world title now.

Re: Will Selby break The Crucible curse?

Postby Dan-cat

People talk about the curse it as if it's mathematically impossible, that Selby should not even bother attending! It will one day be broken.

Re: Will Selby break The Crucible curse?

Postby shankly

Dan-cat wrote:People talk about the curse it as if it's mathematically impossible, that Selby should not even bother attending! It will one day be broken.


Exactly. And when it happens, it will not be the most amazing achievement in snooker or anything like that. Hendry winning all those titles in a row is way more impressive, for example.

Re: Will Selby break The Crucible curse?

Postby TheRocket

Wildey wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
shankly wrote:He's got as good a chance of winning this year as anyone, doesn't he? Don't put much stock in the Crucible curse, personally.

Yes, it's difficult to win two in a row because a lot of things have to go right to win even one, but it's been done before. The way some talk about it you'd think he had a million to one chance!


That's because it's true <ok> And he has never been one to play his best at tournaments when he's the favourite, he always loves being the underdog, and here he won't be, he'll be in the spotlight from Day 1, plus the BBC and co will annoy him to death with the Curse, and I hope they do.

Like CS said, greats like Ronnie, Hendry, Davis, Higgins, Williams, for instance, havent been able to do it, and he just wont aswell. yes Selby can certainly win more than one Worlds Title, in fact I'll be surprised if he doesn't, just not this year though.

Hopefully he gets knocked out first round like Robbo or Dotty were, I'll be surprised if he gets past Quarter-Finals to be honest, will depend on the draw. If he were to somehow break the Curse it would be the most incredible achievment ever in Snooker history, but I highly doubt he'll do it.

Point is he is the underdog very few has expectations that he will win it back to back and before yesterday hes had a bad season so if anything winning yesterday was a hinderance going by what you say.

Be Honest Andre he frightens you because he is a player that can beat Ronnie in Majors thats why you want him out ASAP.


No. Andre , just like me want Selby to play Ronnie so that Ronnie can destroy him this time.

Re: Will Selby break The Crucible curse?

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
shankly wrote:He's got as good a chance of winning this year as anyone, doesn't he? Don't put much stock in the Crucible curse, personally.

Yes, it's difficult to win two in a row because a lot of things have to go right to win even one, but it's been done before. The way some talk about it you'd think he had a million to one chance!


That's because it's true <ok> And he has never been one to play his best at tournaments when he's the favourite, he always loves being the underdog, and here he won't be, he'll be in the spotlight from Day 1, plus the BBC and co will annoy him to death with the Curse, and I hope they do.

Like CS said, greats like Ronnie, Hendry, Davis, Higgins, Williams, for instance, havent been able to do it, and he just wont aswell. yes Selby can certainly win more than one Worlds Title, in fact I'll be surprised if he doesn't, just not this year though.

Hopefully he gets knocked out first round like Robbo or Dotty were, I'll be surprised if he gets past Quarter-Finals to be honest, will depend on the draw. If he were to somehow break the Curse it would be the most incredible achievment ever in Snooker history, but I highly doubt he'll do it.

Point is he is the underdog very few has expectations that he will win it back to back and before yesterday hes had a bad season so if anything winning yesterday was a hinderance going by what you say.

Be Honest Andre he frightens you because he is a player that can beat Ronnie in Majors thats why you want him out ASAP.


No. Andre , just like me want Selby to play Ronnie so that Ronnie can destroy him this time.


Exactly, and why on earth has EVERYTHING got to to do with Ronnie? <doh> I want Selby out simply because, well I like other players way more than him, same as a Selby fan would love if Ronnie went out first round. This has absolutely nothing to do with Ronnie, and yeah winning yesterday was a hinderance, he may still win 1 or 2 more titles before Worlds, the hinderance will be bigger then <ok> And like TR says, I would love if Ronnie thrashed him at Worlds, and he way you talk Wild it's as if almost Ronnie has never beaten Selby in a Major match, which we all know he has many times, and one at the Crucible would be just lovely. But I say it again, I wouldnt mind him going out to some "mug" in the opening round, I doubt that will happen, what I dont doubt is that he wont break this Curse, just a question of when and not if. <ok>
Last edited by Andre147 on 09 Feb 2015, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Will Selby break The Crucible curse?

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:I think, Ding or Trump will beat the Curse.


Yes, and that would be a BIG irony if Ding were to do it having had an horrible record at Crucible before then. I'm not saying Selby isn't capable, he is, but I highly doubt he'll do this year.

Re: Will Selby break The Crucible curse?

Postby Clara8633

Andre147 wrote:Exactly, and why on earth has EVERYTHING got to to do with Ronnie? <doh> I want Selby out simply because, well I like other players way more than him, same as a Selby fan would love if Ronnie went out first round.


I honestly don't care whether he goes out in the first round or not.

Re: Will Selby break The Crucible curse?

Postby Andre147

Clara8633 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Exactly, and why on earth has EVERYTHING got to to do with Ronnie? <doh> I want Selby out simply because, well I like other players way more than him, same as a Selby fan would love if Ronnie went out first round.


I honestly don't care whether he goes out in the first round or not.


Yes I believe in you, but others here would love it. Like TR says though, him beating Selby at Crucible this year and avoid him to break the Curse would be very satisfying, but I doubt they'll meet at Worlds this year.

Re: Will Selby break The Crucible curse?

Postby Roland

"I want Selby out simply because, well I like other players way more than him, same as a Selby fan would love if Ronnie went out first round."

Only a Ronnie fan would come out with such a statement.

Anyway the curse thing is bullocks when looking at a reason why Selby won't win this year. He's at the top of his game and will be very hard to beat over a 2/3/4 session match by any player in the world at the moment. It doesn't mean he's unbeatable, but someone is going to have to play extremely well to beat him and if that happens is that down to a curse?

The closest to breaking the "curse" was Joe Johnson and that's probably down to him being in his 30s and at his peak after a fairly long time on tour i.e. lots of experience and a late developer.

When you look back it started with Spencer and Reardon, already multiple world champions, then Griff won it from nowhere in 79 and then lost to Steve Davis who ended up being his career nemesis (so retrospectively no shock), Davis was burned out after winning everything in 81/82 (10-1 to Knowles, Davis dead on his feet). Higgins wasn't consistent enough to defend titles, Taylor probably believed in the curse and thought he'd have it easier against a young Mike "My Apologies" Hallett who had him under all sorts of pressure with his potting (believe it or not he was a very good player in his 20s). Hendry lost to Steve James who played brilliantly and wasn't afraid to win. I think it was around this time people started talking about a curse because this was probably the shock result of the 90s at the time as everyone thought Hendry would defend.

Then Doherty made the final but lost to John Higgins, and we all know how good he is. Higgins lost to Williams, and we all know how good he is. Williams had man flu (and made one of the best clearances of all time) when he lost to Swail, Ronnie made the grave error of winding up Hendry before his "curse" match. Murphy was still young and raw after a surprise win and lost to a previous winner in Ebdon which is obviously no shock result at a time when Ebdon was capable of beating anyone. Dotty got frustrated and Robbo got one of the worst round 1 draws in Crucible history.

A brief history of the Crucible Curse. There is no curse and there's nothing stopping Selby from winning it again this year and I'm backing him to do it.

Re: Will Selby break The Crucible curse?

Postby shankly

Roland wrote:"I want Selby out simply because, well I like other players way more than him, same as a Selby fan would love if Ronnie went out first round."

Only a Ronnie fan would come out with such a statement.

Anyway the curse thing is bullocks when looking at a reason why Selby won't win this year. He's at the top of his game and will be very hard to beat over a 2/3/4 session match by any player in the world at the moment. It doesn't mean he's unbeatable, but someone is going to have to play extremely well to beat him and if that happens is that down to a curse?

The closest to breaking the "curse" was Joe Johnson and that's probably down to him being in his 30s and at his peak after a fairly long time on tour i.e. lots of experience and a late developer.

When you look back it started with Spencer and Reardon, already multiple world champions, then Griff won it from nowhere in 79 and then lost to Steve Davis who ended up being his career nemesis (so retrospectively no shock), Davis was burned out after winning everything in 81/82 (10-1 to Knowles, Davis dead on his feet). Higgins wasn't consistent enough to defend titles, Taylor probably believed in the curse and thought he'd have it easier against a young Mike "My Apologies" Hallett who had him under all sorts of pressure with his potting (believe it or not he was a very good player in his 20s). Hendry lost to Steve James who played brilliantly and wasn't afraid to win. I think it was around this time people started talking about a curse because this was probably the shock result of the 90s at the time as everyone thought Hendry would defend.

Then Doherty made the final but lost to John Higgins, and we all know how good he is. Higgins lost to Williams, and we all know how good he is. Williams had man flu (and made one of the best clearances of all time) when he lost to Swail, Ronnie made the grave error of winding up Hendry before his "curse" match. Murphy was still young and raw after a surprise win and lost to a previous winner in Ebdon which is obviously no shock result at a time when Ebdon was capable of beating anyone. Dotty got frustrated and Robbo got one of the worst round 1 draws in Crucible history.

A brief history of the Crucible Curse. There is no curse and there's nothing stopping Selby from winning it again this year and I'm backing him to do it.


Good post. You've basically written down all the thoughts I've had on this subject but was too lazy to write myself. Agree with everything, except I will not be backing Selby!

Re: Will Selby break The Crucible curse?

Postby Wildey

The List of players waiting in the Wings for a WC is there for all to see

Ding Junhui
Judd Trump
Ronnie O'Sullivan
Neil Robertson
Mark Selby
Shaun Murphy

at least 5 of thoes players will be disapointed come may.

No way of predicting who will win one thing is certain though Selby is very much in the mix and this curse thing is nothing more than a BRODCASTING bullocks CRAP or as we know them the BBC.

Re: Will Selby break The Crucible curse?

Postby Roland

Will Robbo break the Champions Curse? He's the only winner to have only played in one final. I love that stat because it shows you can't fluke it and long may it continue. Ding could beat Robbo in the final this year and take the baton :redneck: