Post a reply

Re: 888.com World Grand Prix Final Discussion !!!

Postby TheRocket

I looked at some stats. Happened actually quite a lot during the early 90's (between the likes of Hendry-Davis-White). But these guys were dominating.

We're living in a different era now. We have a lot more players, who are capable of winning a tournament or reaching the latter stages. I'm not saying, the standard at the very top is higher. But we have far more topplayers who are all almost equally strong and thus it's much more competitive and it's more likely to have different winners.

So it's quite astonishing to see same two players playing each other in three proper finals.

Postby Andre147

As most of you are probably aware alredy, I havent been to post much here, in factI only watched the first round and Ronnies match with Milkins. Having seen some previous highlights, all I can say is I agree with TR, this is the Ronnie of 2005/2006, capable of amazing breaks, but gettting frustrated with silly things very easily.

Even though hes in the Final, this signs arent great, come the Worlds I only hope hes motivated, otherwise he can easily lose early there.

I do hope Ronnie wins this, but I dont care much to honest, Ronnie already won 2 bigger Finals than this season against h8m,so I think Trump will get revenge this tournament, my bet is 10-6? or 10-7 in Trumps favour.

I do hope Ronnie brings his A game to the table though and if he does and wins you can comeback to my comment then, lol.

I think I can watch the 2nd session, but probably wont post here sadly.

Anyway, Im not confident about it, but even so if Trump wins it Ill be happy for him, he desevers some sort of revenge I suppose.

Still, good luck Ronnie.

Postby Andre147

I somehow knew you was going to make that comment, lol. I normally am pretty positive, in fact anyone who knows me well here knows Im always very optimistic about Ronnie and I quickly forget bad losses like Worlds and German Masters, BUT this time Ronnies head appears to be off slightly.

I do hope Ronnie proves me wrong and wins the match though, nothing would please me more tomorrow.

Postby Cloud Strife

Ronnie79 wrote:O'sullivan has actually won 27 non ranking titles

And these were proper titles as well. Not the 4-man exhibitions that Davis won a lot of in the 80s, and Hendry as well.

Postby Andy Spark

Andre147 wrote:I somehow knew you was going to make that comment, lol. I normally am pretty positive, in fact anyone who knows me well here knows Im always very optimistic about Ronnie and I quickly forget bad losses like Worlds and German Masters, BUT this time Ronnies head appears to be off slightly.

I do hope Ronnie proves me wrong and wins the match though, nothing would please me more tomorrow.

I agree, his head is a bit "off". Judd's got a good chance here, normally I'd say it's about how well Ronnie plays, but this time I think it's more about how well the Juddernaut plays. Ronnie is the more consistent and can keep a goodish standard up 90% of the time, but the top gear seems lacking! Judd, on the other hand, can only keep a goodish standard up 60% of the time, however, he's demonstrated throughout the tournament that he can find that top gear.

Postby Muppet147

SnookerFan wrote:I actually think Ronnie will take it, but my predictions are almost never correct.

Yes, you do talk a lot of marmite. <ok>

Even though you have cursed Ronnie with your prediction, I will stick to my 10-8 O'Sullivan tip.

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Ronnie will win.

What makes you so certain? In my book Trump is the slight favourite, about 55-45.

Dump your life savings on Ronnie tommorow. You can thank me later. <ok>

SO after that endorsement i wouldn't put a penny on Ronnie <laugh>

Postby Wildey

The way Ronnie has played this week and yet he is still in the final is a indication of how poor the overall standard of play has been at this week.

Ronnie has conceded only 3 bloody frames to reach the final and Rod Lawler was the guy who gave him the biggest problems and that wasent much.

Postby TheSaviour

Seems like O´Sullivan is finally ready to take a complete control. I think his yesterday´s display was just superb, even if snooker journalists or Ronnie himself probably don´t think so. Stuart has been lately, and was yesterday in the patches, rounding up the cue ball really nicely and cleverly. Doesn´t look like he would miss the cue ball position while he is on the balls. It´s just that a tiny, a little thing that he is missing some of the "pressure pots". That´s the puzzle a very few have been able to solve. How to ignore the crowd and tournament - pressure and so on.. Seemed like Ronnie was quicky able to learn from Stuart the correct cue ball positioning, and without a mistake or mistakes. That 77 clearance he closed out the match was just that. Just awesomely solid stuff without a single mistake there.
I have been guilty of bit of underestimating O´Sullivan lately. A mistake I would not had make 3 years ago. Seems like the age is catching me now when almost 34. So I have to be more carefully. I just sort of a forgot how good O´Sullivan actually is. Or can be. However you want to put it.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:Right snooker about to start.

Let's hope it's better than the first session of their UK final today.

Better having a poor first session and a great second session than the other way round.

Even better to have two good sessions.

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:
Ronnie79 wrote:O'sullivan has actually won 27 non ranking titles

And these were proper titles as well. Not the 4-man exhibitions that Davis won a lot of in the 80s, and Hendry as well.

i cant remember Hendry ever winning a 4 man exhibitions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hendry

he even won proper Snooker PL 6 Times unlike Ronnie winning Ehibition shot clock marmite.