Topic locked

Re: 888.com World Grand Prix Semi Finals Discussion !!!

Postby Muppet147

Holden Chinaski wrote:Ronnie loves the game and wants perfection all the time, that's why he's often frustrated. People always expect him to play like a genius, must be hard to live up to.

Actually, when he really is at his best his positional play is so good that he makes every shot look easy. He gets more cheers when his game is a bit off and he keeps bailing himself out with cracking pots.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Holden Chinaski wrote:Ronnie loves the game and wants perfection all the time, that's why he's often frustrated. People always expect him to play like a genius, must be hard to live up to.

Ronnie is bipolar. It's remarkable that it hasn't affected him even more over his career. His unreal talent made it possible.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Skullman wrote:Interesting how this suddenly became a big event now ROS is in the final... :chin:

I'm not saying this is a big event. It's not.
The UK is big. Ronnie won it. The worlds is big. Ronnie was in the final.

Depends all on the viewer. Obviously this isn't in the same league as the UK and Masters, never mind the Worlds. But I don't see a reason why this would be less important than the Welsh Open for example.

Postby TheRocket

What I wanna say is that people have to realize that for most players playing Ronnie O'Sullivan is a different thing than playing other players, especially for players who are not used to winning big tournaments and Bingo is one of them despite playing great stuff since 3 years or like that.

And I think, it's just silly to moan all the time and to basicially hint that he doesn't deserves to win this match or that tournament , just because some of his opponents sh*t bricks and fail. You had the same thing with Hendry in the 90's and Davis in the 80's. And you have to praise them for that.

These players worked hard to earn the fear factor and aura they had/have. And basicially there isn't a topplayer out there, who hasn't been completely trashed at least once by O'Sullivan. And with trashed, I really mean trashed. Like Walden and Ding in the Masters.

Yes. The likes of Higgins and Selby, who are mental warriors would be quickly getting over it while others don't. But I think, you all agree that Higgins and Selby are more an exception than the average.
Last edited by TheRocket on 21 Mar 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Ronnie's long potting is outstanding this week. It's even better than Trump's currently. Crazy.

I remember Ronnie saying he watched the backswing and grip of players like Judd and Robertson on long pots and started using it in practice. This made his long game better.

Postby Skullman

TheRocket wrote:And I think, it's just silly to moan all the time and to basicially hint that he doesn't deserves to win this match or that tournament , just because some of his opponents sh*t bricks and fail.

Not saying that. It just becomes tedious to watch as someone who's not a ROS fan.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Skullman wrote:
TheRocket wrote:And I think, it's just silly to moan all the time and to basicially hint that he doesn't deserves to win this match or that tournament , just because some of his opponents sh*t bricks and fail.

Not saying that. It just becomes tedious to watch as someone who's not a ROS fan.

A lot of players rubbish bricks when they play Selby as well. Because they know they will have to scrape him off the table.

Postby Dan-cat

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Ronnie's long potting is outstanding this week. It's even better than Trump's currently. Crazy.

I remember Ronnie saying he watched the backswing and grip of players like Judd and Robertson on long pots and started using it in practice. This made his long game better.

Didn't know that. That's ace. Anything you can do, I can do better..

Postby Skullman

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Skullman wrote:

A lot of players rubbish bricks when they play Selby as well. Because they know they will have to scrape him off the table.

And I'm sure that's tedious to watch if you're not a Selby fan.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Skullman wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Skullman wrote:

And I'm sure that's tedious to watch if you're not a Selby fan.

You got that right!

Postby TheRocket

As someone who've been following his career since 2004 I'd say that the current O'Sullivan has strong similarities to the 2005-2006 O'Sullivan. Brillant pots and breaks at times but then the easy miss in the next frame and getting emotional as well. And not the best shot selection either.

Funnily he's still destroying Bingo.