Topic locked

Re: 888.com World Grand Prix Last 32 Discussion !!!

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:This match is making me :zzz:

Yes I know the feeling...

I think Luca v Robbo is gonna be a cracker tonight, and Ronnie v Lawler could be very interesting too.

Postby Andre147

Adrian Au wrote:so we can watch table 2 live?

No, only table 1 has TV coverage.

They have one camera (I think) on table 2 but that's only for ITV to show brief highlights (end of match).

Postby Andre147

This event deserved to be a ranking one.

Because of the only 32 players format I know it couldn't be, but still ITV deserves an event carrying ranking points for the effort they put in. They had the World Open but that was in China.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:This event deserved to be a ranking one.

Because of the only 32 players format I know it couldn't be, but still ITV deserves an event carrying ranking points for the effort they put in. They had the World Open but that was in China.

It still could have been. I know it only has a field of 32, but all players were eligible for it. All you have to do to qualify is be in the top 32 of the money list.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Cloud Strife wrote:

It still could have been. I know it only has a field of 32, but all players were eligible for it. All you have to do to qualify is be in the top 32 of the money list.

Like the PTC finals you mean?

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

Yeah absolutely SO. Like CS says, all players are eligible to play in the event having been the top 32 money earners this season so far, so if a tournament like Grand Finals is a ranker, why can't this be one as well?

Postby PLtheRef

Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

Yeah absolutely SO. Like CS says, all players are eligible to play in the event having been the top 32 money earners this season so far, so if a tournament like Grand Finals is a ranker, why can't this be one as well?

Definitely, the only reason I can assume they've not attached ranking points to it is because strictly it's invitational but as others have said there's no reason why it shouldn't have been as technically the Grand Finals is as much an invitational as this.

One question though is that if this had been accorded full ranking status wouldn't Allister Carter have been invited due to the protected ranking? That said the protected ranking hasn't applied to the PTC Finals

Great to see snooker back on ITV4 though and lets hope it's a trend that means we've got a good eight or nine UK Televised tournaments

Postby Cloud Strife

PLtheRef wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

Definitely, the only reason I can assume they've not attached ranking points to it is because strictly it's invitational but as others have said there's no reason why it shouldn't have been as technically the Grand Finals is as much an invitational as this.

One question though is that if this had been accorded full ranking status wouldn't Allister Carter have been invited due to the protected ranking? That said the protected ranking hasn't applied to the PTC Finals

Great to see snooker back on ITV4 though and lets hope it's a trend that means we've got a good eight or nine UK Televised tournaments

Well, it's not a proper invitational event, is it? Since all entrants have had to earn their spot in the tournament.

Postby kolompar

Why should this be ranking? The PTC final is totally different because that's only for the minor ranking PTCs.
And the ITV could get them a ranking event easily if they wanted, like the Indian Open didn't have a broadcaster.

Postby Cloud Strife

kolompar wrote:Why should this be ranking? The PTC final is totally different because that's only for the minor ranking PTCs.
And the ITV could get them a ranking event easily if they wanted, like the Indian Open didn't have a broadcaster.

The ranking events are your bread and butter. Given the choice between another invitional or a ranker, you would have to go with a ranker. It's better for the sport.

Postby Cloud Strife

PoolBoy wrote:It's NOT a ranking event - merely just an invitational warm-up prior to the PTC Finals, and then the China Open.
Doesn't mean a thing in terms of rankings!

Yeah, I think everyone's aware of that already, but thanks for the clarification, nevertheless.

Anyway, back to what's happening on the table, Robbo looks like getting through without any trouble against Luca.

Postby TheRocket

masterdoctorgenius wrote:hi every1

i am eager to see how ronnie will perform and how his frame of mind will be. another decider loss after missing match ball would be fatal

Yes, there are no excuses anymore. The time has come now to play himself into great form and justify the ambitions of becoming a World Champion for the sixth time.