Topic locked

Re: BetVictor Welsh Open Semi Finals Discussion !!!

Postby Andre147

I wouldn't have thought so yesterday, but I now do think Higgins is the favourite to win this title.

He hadn't been tested yet, so I had many doubts about him,but Luca pushed him very hard and when bang under pressure at 4-4 he produced yet another ton. At 5-4 he twitched 2 potencial match balls, but Luca couldnt take advantage as the occasion got to him there.

I still think the turning point in this match definately came at 3-2, Luca should have really made that clearance to go 4-2 up, had he done so I think he would have won the match. He didnt and Higgins gained confidence from there.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Luca played a great game but he lacked composure at the business end of the match. That will improve with experience. The pressure to clear up was too much for him in the last frame I'm afraid.

Yeah agree.

The turning point like I said above definately was at 3-2 up when Luca should have been 4-2.

Nevermind, Luca deserves every credit for what he's done.

I think unlike in 2012 when all this was new to him, he will now push on from here and he certainly wont disappear from the radar now. I hope he has a good run at Indian Open as well.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Well, this means that MJW has to win tonight. No offense to Ben, but I can't see Higgins losing to him no matter how badly he plays since it'll be Ben's first final.

MJW will win it I'm sure.

Against Higgins though... well he'll have to put all past ghosts behind him, especially their last Final.

Postby SavoMilosevic

Luca is a great potter, but he still has a lot to learn. Higgins always wins these kind of matches against inexperienced opponents. I've looked at Ben's stats and he only got two 50 something breaks against Wilson, so we should get the dream final! Come on MJW!!

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:The 2010 UK Championship final rematch is now very much on <cool>

Yeah, and funnily enough like I said yesterday I was scrolling through that year's Final pages about 2 weeks ago.

I do hope if MJW makes it, Higgins doesnt win it, but my feeling says he will :-(

Postby hendry_fan

:happy: John Higgins!!,get in there laddie!. :happy:

What a match,Higgins played vintage stuff,i can,t remember the last time he knocked in 3 tons in a match,a brilliant performance from "The wizard of Wishaw",one of the best we,ve seen from him in years,commences to yet another final!.

I thought that he would produce the goods and boy he did,nt half produce em!.

Hard luck to Brecel,he certainly rose to the occasion,pulled out some crackin pots,played excellent safety and dug in well but towards the end he started to miss a few and went a bit downhill on the safety side,one bad safety in particular led Higgins to make a *135* which took Higgins to a 5-4 lead.

Higgins has once again surprised us all,just when many including myself wrote him off,he goes and serves up a brilliant performance in yet another one of the many semis he,s been in.

:D John Higgins :D

Postby Andre147

Higgins was put bang under pressure and delivered, so for me he's definately the favourite now above MJW.

Had Luca missed many and Higgins won the match without playing well, then MJW would still be favourite for me. Not now, I'm afraid.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:
Skullman wrote:Well, this means that MJW has to win tonight. No offense to Ben, but I can't see Higgins losing to him no matter how badly he plays since it'll be Ben's first final.

Against Higgins though... well he'll have to put all past ghosts behind him, especially their last Final.

Who would have thought we could have another Williams v Higgins ranking final? It looked unlikely that only one of them would make a final this season, let alone both in the same tournament!

Postby Andre147

hendry_fan wrote::happy: John Higgins!!,get in there laddie!. :happy:

What a match,Higgins played vintage stuff,i can,t remember the last time he knocked in 3 tons in a match,a brilliant performance from "The wizard of Wishaw",one of the best we,ve seen from him in years,commences to yet another final!.

Hard luck to Brecel,he certainly rose to the occasion,pulled out some crackin pots,played excellent safety and dug in well but towards the end he started to miss a few and went a bit downhill on the safety side,one bad safety in particular led Higgins to make a *135* which took Higgins to a 5-4 lead.

Higgins has once again surprised us all,just when many including myself wrote him off,he goes and serves up a brilliant performance in yet another one of the many semis he,s been in.

your memory must be very short then... <laugh> he knocked 3 tons at Masters, almost 4.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Who would have thought we could have another Williams v Higgins ranking final? It looked unlikely that only one of them would make a final this season, let alone both in the same tournament!

Agree, the Class of 92 still going strong at 39 years old, with Ronnie CoC and UK Champ as well.

Like TR said yesterday, the Class of 92 will never be touched again.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:
hendry_fan wrote::happy: John Higgins!!,get in there laddie!. :happy:

your memory must be very short then... <laugh> he knocked 3 tons at Masters, almost 4.

The difference between these two matches was that he didn't miss that many shots at vital moments today. John was excellent under pressure today, especially compared to his performances these last two seasons (although he missed two chances in the last frame).

Postby Sickpotter

mantorok wrote:A final containing Higgins instantly degrades any tournament.

Hopefully Williams can spare us the pain of having this joke of a man win it tomorrow.

I disagree, HIggins is a top 5 all time player.

The only jokes are those who just refuse to let things go. :hatoff:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Agree, the Class of 92 still going strong at 39 years old, with Ronnie CoC and UK Champ as well.

Like TR said yesterday, the Class of 92 will never be touched again.

I think it's always encouraging to see Williams and Higgins do well as a Ronnie fan. As long as these two are going strong (at least from time to time) I'm optimistic Ronnie can do the same. :-)

Postby mantorok

Sickpotter wrote:
mantorok wrote:A final containing Higgins instantly degrades any tournament.

Hopefully Williams can spare us the pain of having this joke of a man win it tomorrow.

I disagree, HIggins is a top 5 all time player.

The only jokes are those who just refuse to let things go. :hatoff:

He's full of greed and should've been banned for life, I'll let it go when this man's presence refuses to rub everyones face in it.

Postby masterdoctorgenius

i will root for MJW like i would for ronnie

he deserves this tournament more i feel. the last 4 finals he reached, he lost three of them in deciders though he had a big lead.

i cant see higgins another trophy, would close in to ronnies total of rankers

and i seriously feel, if higgins goes on to win tomorrow he is a contender for the WC.

Postby Skullman

masterdoctorgenius wrote:i will root for MJW like i would for ronnie

he deserves this tournament more i feel. the last 4 finals he reached, he lost three of them in deciders though he had a big lead.

and i seriously feel, if higgins goes on to win tomorrow he is a contender for the WC.

It's just a tournament. He was awesome in Shanghai 2012 and lost to Cao Yupeng the next tournament and did nothing for the season. And he was younger then. He's only become more inconsistent since then.

Postby mantorok

AC or LT? wrote:At the moment if the class of 92 retired snooker would be doomed.

That's not right after 23 years.

Can't tell if it's the class of 92 remaining competitive for so long or the new class failing to step up and put them where they belong, but as a sport I disagree that over 30's have had their twilight years, it's not the most physical sport (yes it's mentally draining) and as an older person you shouldn't deteriote as much as you'd think, Ronnie/Higgins have proved that.

Postby Andre147

No it doesn't, like Wild(think it was him) said yesterday, him winning this tournament changes nothing at Worlds.

Worlds Champs is a different ball game altogether, Higgins will never be World Champ again, that much I'm certain.

Ok it would raise his odds a bit, but he would still be a long way behind the serious contenders in Ronnie, Selby, Robbo, Trump.

But I do agree I would be gutted if Higgins won this, MJW deserves this title, especially on Home soil.

If they do meet, more than likely, MJW has to put allthose past ghosts behind him, he cant relax for one single moment and make every ball count.

Higgins is the favourite for me to lift the title, but maybe that will work in MJWs favour, at least I hopeit does.

Postby TheRocket

Yeah, MJW has to win now. No disrespect to Ben but I don't think, he would have any chance whatsoever against Higgins. It would be the total anti-climax of a final.

MJW-Higgins would be a classic though.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:

It's just a tournament. He was awesome in Shanghai 2012 and lost to Cao Yupeng the next tournament and did nothing for the season. And he was younger then. He's only become more inconsistent since then.

Fully agree Skull, him winning this changes nothing at World Champs.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:Yeah, MJW has to win now. No disrespect to Ben but I don't think, he would have any chance whatsoever against Higgins. It would be the total anti-climax of a final.

MJW-Higgins would be a classic though.

I will almost not want to watch Ben v Higgins if it happens, because it will be a foregone conclusion and one of the most boring Finals ever.

MJW v Higgins is the order of the day, and I very much doubt Ben will beat Mark, especially since this is his first semi.

Postby mantorok

masterdoctorgenius wrote:and i seriously feel, if higgins goes on to win tomorrow he is a contender for the WC.

Then you are deluded, this tournament means nothing for the WC, you even said a few days ago how much of a joke this lottery tournament was.