Topic locked

Re: BetVictor Welsh Open Last 16 Discussion !!!

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:
You too weren't best pleased with the outcome SO I could tell.

Yes I was upset at the time but I immediately realized what a superb final I witnessed. Now I have only fond memories of that match. Not just the match was epic, the circumstances surrounding both players were extraordinary. It was Mark's first chance of winning a major for many years, Higgins returned from his suspension. Two men on a mission clashed and it couldn't have been more dramatic.

Postby mantorok

masterdoctorgenius wrote:ronnie out, selby out, trump out, murphy out

shows how much of a lottery this format is

It's not a lottery, it's the fact that the top players should be beating these people and they aren't, most of them aren't taking it seriously, they need to get off their high horses and realise that this is the way it is and to man up and play better off the blocks.

There is no excuse, none.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:judd was in ronnie mood all tournament i feel

didnt like the venue heheheh

Trump went off the boil after Christmas, just like Ronnie. Fortunately Ronnie converted his good form beforehand and has 2 important titles to look back on.

Absolutely.

Like you said yesterday, it's just almost impossible these days to keep playing to a very high standard like Judd and Ronnie were doing in November and December.

You're bound to have ups and downs, but when you are on a high it's anout making the most of that and win titles, and like you said Ronnie made the most of his good spell and won 2 Big titles.

Postby Andre147

Holden Chinaski wrote:Just got back from work to see Luca beat Selby! Fantastic! Was it a good match? I will watch it later on youtube...

Best of tournamen by some distance.

Selby himself played very well, had 2 tons, pot sucess of 94% but still ended up losing. After being 2 nil down, Luca started going for his shots and wasnt intimidated, his long potting in particular was superb.

Luca has first chance in the decider, but broke down early and Selby too was in amongst the reds nicely, but then missed a simple red and Luca did what he needed to win the frame. Selby still returned for snookers but the outcome was very much sealed hen.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Andre147 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Just got back from work to see Luca beat Selby! Fantastic! Was it a good match? I will watch it later on youtube...

Best of tournamen by some distance.

Selby himself played very well, had 2 tons, pot sucess of 94% but still ended up losing. After being 2 nil down, Luca started going for his shots and wasnt intimidated, his long potting in particular was superb.

Luca has first chance in the decider, but broke down early and Selby too was in amongst the reds nicely, but then missed a simple red and Luca did what he needed to win the frame. Selby still returned for snookers but the outcome was very much sealed hen.

Sounds like a great match. I'll enjoy watching it later on youtube.

Postby Andre147

PoolBoy wrote:It's quite amusing how the same posters in one-breath see Luca's win as defining, yet in the next-breath argue away Ronnie's defeat as insignificant due to the format being a lottery!

Luca's win is a great step forward because it came against Selby, WN1 and World Champ. BUT for it to have any significance he needs to at least reach the semis, because if he loses to either Walden or Bingo it will seem as a step backwards. Nevertheless, he nas now showed he can beat a top player like Selby whatever the format.

As for Ronnie, yes it's pretty insignificant because one could see since the beggining of week he was here to just "joke" around a bit. Ok against Stevens until 3-2 he was playing not too bad, but after that missed yellow he was simply gone and almost wanted to lose. Thats no excuse, but as I said it's pretty insignificant.

Same people also said it was a big turning point when Ronnie lost to MJW in China and then Ronnie ended up winning CoC and UK.

I will get worried oif Ronnie plays like he did here at Worlds, but I very much doubt he'll do that so yeah this defeat doesnt have much significance.

Postby Holden Chinaski

PoolBoy wrote:It's quite amusing how the same posters in one-breath see Luca's win as defining, yet in the next-breath argue away Ronnie's defeat as insignificant due to the format being a lottery!

For a young player like Luca, beating Selby is a big deal. For Ronnie, losing at the welsh is no big deal at all.

Postby mantorok

Luca beating Selby is far bigger than Selby losing to him as he is yet to establish himself and this could give him the confidence he needs, where-as Selby will not lose any confidence from this.