Topic locked

Re: BetVictor Welsh Open Last 32 Discussion !!!

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Mags serving for the match as masterdoctor would say.

Mags is currently set to play Ronnie at the last 16 of the Worlds. So I wouldn't mind seeing him string together some good results to climb up the rankings again.

Mags at Worlds would be easier than Murphy thats for sure.

Of course, however the most likely alternative will be Higgins (if Ronnie is seeded second that is).

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:Ronnie Higgins. What a second round match that would be.

You love when these two meet dont you, its clear in your comments.

I do too.

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:

I do too.

Yes. It's just the best match you can get. Not to mention the aura and reputation the two players have. Higgins is in decline but he can still play great matches at times.

Postby Skullman

7pm

Alan McManus 4-0 Aditya Mehta
Luca Brecel 4-0 Oliver Brown
Liang Wenbo 0-4 John Higgins
Jamie Jones 2-4 Mark Williams

NB 8pm

Stephen Maguire 4-2 Sam Baird
Stuart Bingham 4-1 Michael White
Ashley Carty 2-4 Marco Fu
Michael Wasley 2-4 Judd Trump

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

I do too.

Yes. It's just the best match you can get. Not to mention the aura and reputation the two players have. Higgins is in decline but he can still play great matches at times.

Ronnie v Higgins or Selby v Higgins at Worlds would be very very nice indeed.

I still cant forget that 2009 Worlds Quarter-Final meeting those 2 had, one of the best matches I've seen, both Selby and Higgins at truly the top of their game.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

I do too.

Hendry v Ronnie always was very special as well. The two greatest players of all time battling it out.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

I do too.

Hendry v Ronnie always was very special as well. The two greatest players of all time battling it out.

Davis v A. Higgins had something special about it too, I've watched enough Youtube matches between the two to know it was a special occasion.

Anyway, still a fair bit to go until Worlds.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

I do too.

Ronnie v Higgins or Selby v Higgins at Worlds would be very very nice indeed.

I still cant forget that 2009 Worlds Quarter-Final meeting those 2 had, one of the best matches I've seen, both Selby and Higgins at truly the top of their game.

Higgins at his best was just always that little better than Selby. That 2009 match was out of this world.

Postby TheRocket

Yeah, true. Hendry vs Ronnie was probably even better because both had a similar style. It was a high-scoring match all the time. And their rivalry was a lot more tense.

Higgins is a heavy scorer as well but he's more like an Allrounder or a tough matchplayer than a pure scorer.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:Yeah, true. Hendry vs Ronnie was probably even better because both had a similar style. It was a high-scoring match all the time. And their rivalry was a lot more tense.

Higgins is a heavy scorer as well but he's more like an Allrounder or a tough matchplayer than a pure scorer.

2006 Masters Final will forever go down as their greatest match.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Yeah, true. Hendry vs Ronnie was probably even better because both had a similar style. It was a high-scoring match all the time. And their rivalry was a lot more tense.

What is the greatest Ronnie v Hendry match?

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

What is the greatest Ronnie v Hendry match?

tough to call... 1999 and 2002 Worlds were great, 2005 Welsh Open Final was a great one to watch as well.

I mean, they have several, I'm sure I'm forgetting some right now.

EDIT: 2003 British Open Final, had 5 consecutive tons between them at one point.

And of course 1997 Charity Challenge, when Ronnie was 8-2 down, recored to 8-8 making 2 or 3 tons, only for Hendry to knock a maxi in the decider.
Last edited by Andre147 on 19 Feb 2015, edited 2 times in total.

Postby TheRocket

There are not many better matchplayers than Selby but Higgins is one of them. He can cope very well with Selbys game and tactics and he did prove it in the 2007 WC final and in 2009 as well, when he beat peak Selby in the quarters.

Higgins surely is the best Allrounder of all time.

Postby TheRocket

Skullman wrote:Hard to say, having not seen Steve Davis in his prime.

True but it's Steve Davis himself who's saying that the standard in the 80's wasn't as good as nowadays. What you can definitely say though is that Higgins is a heavier scorer than Davis. When it comes to tactics or safety, it's indeed difficult to say.

Postby Andre147

WoodK67 wrote:Surely with it going down to two tables tomorrow, both tables will be covered. If not then it's a complete joke.

Agree. They should have it like UK Champs.

I get the feeling though it will only be 1 televised, with only brief highlights of the other match once it finishes.

Postby Skullman

TheRocket wrote:
Skullman wrote:Hard to say, having not seen Steve Davis in his prime.

True but it's Steve Davis himself who's saying that the standard in the 80's wasn't as good as nowadays. What you can definitely say though is that Higgins is a heavier scorer than Davis. When it comes to tactics or safety, it's indeed difficult to say.

Just because Higgins played in a tougher era doesn't necessarily make him the better all rounder, although he is the heavier scorer when both were in their primes.