Post a reply

Re: Kreativ Dental German Masters Final Discussion!

Postby Andre147

Selby can win all the titles he wants before Worlds, because he jjust won't win the Crucible this year, he never performs well when being amongst the very favourites and the Curse will get to him.

But a nice feat here, I'm not devaluating that because this is one of the greatest tournaments of the season.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Murphy made a decent fightback but his match play just wasn't strong enough at crunch time.

Selby with a very good week. Well done!

Yeah last frame of afternoon session and first 2 of this evening one made the whole difference.

I also still can't exactly understand why on earth Murphy took the rerack, he had an 11 point advantage, ok not much but that wasn't a typical rerack situation, and after that Selby knocked the first long red and dominated that last frame. Strange decision from Murphy there.

Postby TheRocket

Selby was the stronger player towards the end as he usually is while Shaun start missing too many. When it went 5:2 I thought, maybe Shaun could run away as he was potting so good and scored heavily but he couldn't keep going and started missing some balls and against Selby you just can't do that.

He will always scuttle back to life like a cockroach and today was no exception.

Postby vodkadiet

Andre147 wrote:Selby can win all the titles he wants before Worlds, because he jjust won't win the Crucible this year, he never performs well when being amongst the very favourites and the Curse will get to him.

But a nice feat here, I'm not devaluating that because this is one of the greatest tournaments of the season.

Andre, it seems like you are just trying to convince yourself that Selby won't win The Worlds. There is no reason why he shouldn't. Only time will tell.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Mind games? Selby basically said he wasn't going to do anything but tap into the pack and Murphy went with it.

Then it was Murphy's task to send cue ball away from reds, because if the tip tapping went on they were bound to leave touching ball or good angle to send cue ball away.

Murphy made an odd decision there, I was bemused when he said yes without even thinking twice <doh>

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:Selby can win all the titles he wants before Worlds, because he jjust won't win the Crucible this year, he never performs well when being amongst the very favourites and the Curse will get to him.

He actually even admitted at the end that he feels the pressure, especially as the world champ to always perform well. That's the Crucible curse at his best. The pressure on him in the WC will be massive.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:

Andre, it seems like you are just trying to convince yourself that Selby won't win The Worlds. There is no reason why he shouldn't. Only time will tell.

lol, ok maybe Vodka, but I just feel he won't break the Curse. If he somehow does it however, I will be the first person on Snooker Island to say that is probably the greatest achievment EVER in Snooker. You can comeback to this post IF he wins it.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:

He actually even admitted at the end that he feels the pressure, especially as the world champ to always perform well. That's the Crucible curse at his best. The pressure on him in the WC will be massive.

Yes all of the feel the pressure, even if you hadnt won anything in that particular season, the fact the BBC and co keep mentioning it is alone enough to put massive pressure on them, and Selby will be no different.

Postby vodkadiet

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Breaking the Crucible Curse is the holy grail of snooker.

There's only one chance for every great player to pull it off but all have failed so far.

Steve Davis achieved broke the curse in 1986. He became the first, first time runner up to be runner up again the following year.

Postby TheRocket

We are all excited about the WC already.
There's obviously still a long way to go until the WC but that's the tournament now which really matters for the topplayers.

For the moment though Selby is the happiest Snookerplayer and he has the right to be so.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Breaking the Crucible Curse is the holy grail of snooker.

There's only one chance for every great player to pull it off but all have failed so far.

Steve Davis achieved broke the curse in 1986. He became the first, first time runner up to be runner up again the following year.

The Curse of being runner-up?lol <laugh>

He lost in 1982 though to Tony Knowles 10-1, one of the biggest schoks in Snooker, especially after the season Steve had.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:We are all excited about the WC already.
There's obviously still a long way to go until the WC but that's the tournament now which really matters for the topplayers.

For the moment though Selby is the happiest Snookerplayer and he has the right to be so.

He has yes, I still feel sory for Murphy, I actually think losing the first 2 frames this evening had more impact on the scoreline than losing the last of 1st session.

Murphy still deserves credit though, it's so tough these days to reach 2 big finals in sucession.

Postby vodkadiet

Andre147 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

He lost in 1982 though to Tony Knowles 10-1, one of the biggest schoks in Snooker, especially after the season Steve had.

O'Sullivan may match Steve's feat this year, when he loses to Selby again!! :-D

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Yes the Crucible's shadow looming large since the Masters finished.

Especially the China Open will be overshadowed by the race for the best seeding spots in the draw.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

O'Sullivan may match Steve's feat this year, when he loses to Selby again!! :-D

You wish <laugh> either Ronnie wont get that far, or more likely Selby wont reach that stage.

Nothing would make me happier than seeing Ronnie destroy Selby at Worlds Final like he did at last year's Masters though.

Postby vodkadiet

Andre147 wrote:Image

Photo taken yesterday, is Selby smiling cause he thinks he'll win the title against good friend Shaun? I don't think he'll have too many smiles tomorrow though :roll:

:D :D :D

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:

He has yes, I still feel sory for Murphy, I actually think losing the first 2 frames this evening had more impact on the scoreline than losing the last of 1st session.

Murphy still deserves credit though, it's so tough these days to reach 2 big finals in sucession.

Yes, he definitely deserves credit. And he's still the Masters Champ and completed the Triple crown. He will cope with that one today, no about that.

Today in the second session he just couldn't hold the standard he was playing in the first session. He still pulled out a good pot here and there but his positional play just got weaker and he started missing some silly sitters. It just wasn't good enough towards the end.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Especially the China Open will be overshadowed by the race for the best seeding spots in the draw.

You think Ronnie will play at China Open SO? I think he said a while ago that he would, but I actually think it won't do him any favours playing it, he's better of skipping that event.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Actually the race for the Crucible seeding spots already started :-D

http://www.prosnookerblog.com/rankings/ ... eedings-2/

Maguire no. 15 currently :shock:

There's an outside chance him and especially Higgins will have to qualify, but I doubt either of those will lose their Top 16 place, Higgins more likely but still I dont think he will.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

You think Ronnie will play at China Open SO? I think he said a while ago that he would, but I actually think it won't do him any favours playing it, he's better of skipping that event.

How much time is there between the CO final and the Crucible kick off?

I think he will play but I agree that it wouldn't hurt his chances skipping it.

Postby Skullman

Well has just a bunch of points from his Welsh title and China Open semi a while. Also looks pretty likely that ROS will WN1 after the Welsh unless Selby wins that as well.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:How much time is there between the CO final and the Crucible kick off?

I think he will play but I agree that it wouldn't hurt his chances skipping it.

China ends on the 5th, opening day of the Crucible is 18th.