Topic locked

Kreativ Dental German Masters Semi-Finals Discussion

Postby Andre147

Image Image Image
Wednesday 4th - Sunday 8th of February at the Tempodrom, Berlin in Germany

The Semis line-up is complete, and boy we probably had one of THE best ever sessions in Snooker, with all 4 Quarter-Finals ending on deciders. In the top half of the draw we have surprise semi-finalist Liang Wenbo against the player who knocked Ronnie out of the tournament on the last black in the decider, Masters Champion Shaun Murphy.

In the bottom half we have Mark Selby who knocked Judd Trump out also in a decider, with Trump making an 147 aswell. Selby will face Stephen Maguire, who quite remarkly knocked Neil Robertson out of the tournament after needing a snooker in the decider.

Who will the 2 players that will battle it out for a German Masters title?

Semi-Finals

Liang Wenbo v Shaun Murphy Wenbo leads 4-2
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Stephen Maguire v Mark Selby Selby leads 10-7

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Kreativ Dental German Masters Semi-Finals Discussion

Postby Andre147

In Wild's absence I did this Semis thread and will also make the Final one.

Boy what an incredible day of Snooker we just witnessed on this 6th of February 2015.

Hopefully the Semis will produce something similar.

Postby gcjdavid

Andre147 wrote:In Wild's absence I did this Semis thread and will also make the Final one.

Boy what an incredible day of Snooker we just witnessed on this 6th of February 2015.

Hopefully the Semis will produce something similar.

Unfortunately, due to my time zone, I was sleeping through most of the session. :irk:

Postby Andre147

Hopefully Liang wins his semi against Shaun, though that will be highly unlikely, especially after Murphy's two previous matches.

Mags though can definately knock Selby out, and he'll feel like he rose from the ashes after being almost out of the tournament needing 2 snookers in the decider against Robertson.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:A Mags and Murphy final could be interesting as they don't really like each other. Well at least, that was the case in the past as Maguire himself even admitted but don't know about here and now though.

That chalk incident at the Grand Prix is well and truly forgotten, they get along well nowadays, both have admited it.

Murphy almost certain for me to be in the Final, as for the other one it's almost 50/50, Maguire will feel like he rose from the ashes after that Robbo win. Tough one to call there.

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:A Mags and Murphy final could be interesting as they don't really like each other. Well at least, that was the case in the past as Maguire himself even admitted but don't know about here and now though.

That chalk incident at the Grand Prix is well and truly forgotten, they get along well nowadays, both have admited it.

Murphy almost certain for me to be in the Final, as for the other one it's almost 50/50, Maguire will feel like he rose from the ashes after that Robbo win. Tough one to call there.

Murphy will feel like he's destined to win this tournament. How he's beaten Allen and Ronnie today, I don't know.

Mags obviously will have a similar feeling after today but Murphy's just on a roll since the Masters. He's playing well and is having a very good run of the balls as well but that always seems to happen it you're playing well.

Postby Andre147

It's Murphy's tournament to lose now not much doubt about that.

I think though that Selby will have a better chance against him in the Final if both reach that stage, Selby often raises his game then. Ironically though Selby's strike rate at ranking finals isn't a great one, he's only won 4 titles from 12 Final appearances.

Postby Skullman

Went out for a bit after the TV match finished. Shame there's no Selby v Robbo as those are always great matches, but Selby v Mags could be good as well.

If Selby wins the title he's back to WN1, but I'd prefer him to add more trophies to his cabinet and get some form before the Worlds starts so he can beat that 'curse'.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Went out for a bit after the TV match finished. Shame there's no Selby v Robbo as those are always great matches, but Selby v Mags could be good as well.

If Selby wins the title he's back to WN1, but I'd prefer him to add more trophies to his cabinet and get some form before the Worlds starts so he can beat that 'curse'.

The Crucible Curse will NEVER be beaten, so you better prepare yourself for it :wave: If greats like Higgins, Hendry, Davis or Ronnie couldn't do it, then Selby certainly won't aswell. It's like that movie The Grudge, Selby should watch it :-D

Hell, he may even (somehow) reach the Final, but he'll fall short just like Johnson and Doherty did. It's inevitable mate, I know you as a fan have hopes not to but it is, Selby is out of the equation at Worlds.

Postby Andre147

A word on what both Ronnie and Murphy had to say after their match:

Shaun: "It was special. It means a lot to me because Ronnie annihilated me at the World Championship last season (13-3) and my wins over him are few and far between. He is the standard. To beat him in a ranking quarter-final in high quality match - I'm very proud of myself."

"I'm just playing the shot that's in front of me and not thinking about the state of the match or anything else. Against O'Sullivan you have to play against the Ronnie factor including his fans, and at the Crucible I was like a rabbit in the headlights. But I'm a different person now."

Well he definately is a diferent player, total contrast to that Crucible match last season.

Ronnie: "Shaun played a good match. He played fantastic snooker at the Masters and he's on a roll, and when you're confident it's an easier game. He deserved it tonight. I had my chances. I struggled in the first two frames to get to grips with the table. Then in the last frame I thought I had it, but the pot on the last red didn't set up right for me.

"I played better here than I did at the UK Championship so I'm going in the right direction. I felt I was building momentum." He also joked: "I've lost to Williams and Murphy (in ranking events) this season - I might have to turn it in and get a job."

Glad Ronnie thinks that way, he's definately heading in the right direction come the Crucible,a shame he lost that match. And the bit where he joked <laugh> what next, lose against Carter?

Anyway, hopefully this won't dent his confidence too much, but judging by his reaction if anything it will make him even hungrier for more future sucess.

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 24,00.html

Postby Tamctus

masterdoctorgenius wrote:In all honesty, selby, liang, mag and murphy have rode their luck a bit. Could/should have been out.

but as rafa says:" Ifs dont exist in sports"

Have you seen any of Liang's matches to base that assumption? Because I haven't and I think reaching semis after beating Walden, Greene, Li Hang, Bingham and Day (Walden, Bingham and Day in deciders!) takes a little more than luck :roll:

I think Liang could well be a dark horse to take the title.

Postby Odrl

masterdoctorgenius wrote:Decider against stuart. Won it on the black though stuart had a healthy lead

Was it not on the pink? :-)

But yes, it's a very interesting line-up, with four players who could have easily gone out. We see it so often, a player comes back from a big deficit or from needing a snooker to stay in the match in an earlier round, then plays out of his skin and ends up winning the tournament. Murphy and Maguire in particular were practically out already. :-)

Postby Andy Spark

I think all players left can count themselves a little fortunate to win their matches yesterday. I thought Ronnie was unlucky until I heard about Robbo! Now I hope that Liang Wenbo can win, he's a funny chap. Also hope Selby loses so Ronnie can get to number 1 again.

Can't watch unfortunately as out snookering and eating tonight.

Postby Andre147

masterdoctorgenius wrote:Couldnt sleep well

robbo got out after mag needed snooker?!

As GJ would say: clutch maguire

He didn't come out of hiding after Murphy thrashed his beloved boy, then comes here only when Ronnie loses and guess what, it backfires on him and Mags wins against his beloved boy in the worst possible way after needing 2 snookers, way worse than the way Ronnie lost his decider.

GJ :wave: rofl :wave:

Postby Andre147

I wonder if after yesterday Ronnie will still want to be in the studio :chuckle:

He may do, but I can totally understand his decision not to, I for one wouldn't wait to get on the first plane out of Berlin.

Postby Roland

I wouldn't write off Wenbo today, he's capable of fantastic snooker and he's got a good record against Shaun. I watched last night from 2-0 and Ronnie was pretty much dominating and you have to say the balls weren't kind to him overall but it's swings and roundabouts as far as that's concerned. Shaun won against the run of play but he still won and will be tough to beat. I'm hoping for a Wenbo v Selby final, I think that will be a spectacle.

I hear Robbo got a bit careless last night at the end of his match against Maguire :redneck:

Postby Andre147

lol Ronnie in good moods today. Even said he once lost a match to Darren Morgan at Crucible after making a 147. He lost against Fu actually, but I know what he means, Judd would have rather won that match against Selby.