Topic locked

Re: Dafabet Masters S Finals :Ronnie O'Sullivan v Neil Rober

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Yesterday Ronnie was on a winning streak of 15 matches in of the toughest periods of the snooker season, a day later he doesn't cut it anymore.

Brilliant :-D

I did say I've been thinking it since the middle of the UK. Although fair play to him for stringing out so many wins when he was a fair way below his best.

Postby Cannonball

mantorok wrote:
Skullman wrote:I wonder if the pressure is getting to him more these days? He played similarly to this in the early stages of his match against Bingo, only Stuart let him off the hook at 4-1 and Neil didn't.

I think the the pressure is getting to him. Every tournament win is now essentially on borrowed time and he's started racking up records. Understandable really.

I think the pressure is getting to all of them. Where was Robbo until this week. What has happened to Ding this season. In comes Ronnie to pick up two titles, then plays his B game this week. Trump was brilliant in two comps then has a bad match. Snooker is so competitive, it's comp to comp based on form. And that's brilliant for the game but ever so stressful for the players and fans as well! They all know now that if they're not on form, the can be eaten.

Postby TheRocket

Skullman wrote:I wonder if the pressure is getting to him more these days? He played similarly to this in the early stages of his match against Bingo, only Stuart let him off the hook at 4-1 and Neil didn't.

He was just 1:0 behind, leading 63:0 in the second frame and missed a black off the spot. How can this be pressure? Some people may call me crazy but since the UK, Ronnie's nowhere close to his best game and I even said that during his UK-celebration.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Why do the keep calling Robertson the World Number 1?

Maybe because he's the World Number 1? <laugh>

Just to add in case you haven't been keeping up in rankings matters. Ding was WN1 after the UK, but due to neither entering the Lisbon Open and Ding having won ET5 two years ago, when the points were taken off, Robbo jumped ahead of him again.

The way it works with rolling rankings now.

Postby NNear

I agree. You can look at winning streaks and applaud Ronnie for finding results and producing very good match play but what about the simple eye test. The eyes tell me that in the last three big Majors, despite producing excellent results, he's not consistently played his top stuff in any of them - so that's a streak of 3 Majors where he hasn't been stellar.

Postby TheRocket

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Yesterday Ronnie was on a winning streak of 15 matches in of the toughest periods of the snooker season, a day later he doesn't cut it anymore.

He had a winning streak of 15 matches SO, but in how many of these matches he played his very best game? He struggled in a lot of these matches.

Postby Andre147

NNear wrote:I agree. You can look at winning streaks and applaud Ronnie for finding results and producing very good match play but what about the simple eye test. The eyes tell me that in the last three big Majors, despite producing excellent results, he's not consistently played his top stuff in any of them - so that's a streak of 3 Majors where he hasn't been stellar.

as long as he keep winning them he can even win them with a Mark Selby's grinding like performance <laugh>

Postby Skullman

TheRocket wrote:

He was just 1:0 behind, leading 63:0 in the second frame and missed a black off the spot. How can this be pressure? Some people may call me crazy but since the UK, Ronnie's nowhere close to his best game and I even said that during his UK-celebration.

I meant from 3-1/4-1 onwards. He could hardly pot a ball for half an hour and even then he got in through a fluke to end that run.

Postby NNear

I think Ronnie will be a strong contender at the WSC for several more years yet and that the longer format is actually now suited to him, Andre. I'd just view him right now though as one of the favourites rather than the favourite. It's obviously way too early to write Ronnie off.. he's very much capable of winning the TC events and titles in general. Still, I'm sure he'll be keen to get back to form he was in and perhaps we'll see him up the ante with his schedule soon.
Last edited by NNear on 17 Jan 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Skullman

Andre147 wrote:
NNear wrote:I agree. You can look at winning streaks and applaud Ronnie for finding results and producing very good match play but what about the simple eye test. The eyes tell me that in the last three big Majors, despite producing excellent results, he's not consistently played his top stuff in any of them - so that's a streak of 3 Majors where he hasn't been stellar.

as long as he keep winning them he can even win them with a Mark Selby's grinding like performance <laugh>

You know, I remember you or Overdrive once asking me how I could enjoy watching Selby winning when playing awfully? :no:

Postby Cannonball

Skullman wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

You know, I remember you or Overdrive once asking me how I could enjoy watching Selby winning when playing awfully? :no:

rofl Ronnie grinding to 776 is a bit different to Selby time wasting mate! rofl

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:

He had a winning streak of 15 matches SO, but in how many of these matches he played his very best game? He struggled in a lot of these matches.

CoC:
good against Bingo, very good against Fu, good against Ding (very good under pressure), outstanding against Trump

UK:
OK against Wells and Lines, good against Woollaston, very good against Selt, OK against McGill (very good under pressure), mediocre against Bingo (excellent under pressure), good against Trump (outstanding long potting and pressure clearances)

Masters:
OK against Walden, very good against Fu, very bad against Robbo

Postby TheRocket

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

CoC:
good against Bingo, very good against Fu, good against Ding (very good under pressure), outstanding against Trump

UK:
OK against Wells and Lines, good against Woollaston, very good against Selt, OK against McGill (very good under pressure), mediocre against Bingo (excellent under pressure), good against Trump (outstanding long potting and pressure clearances)

Masters:

COC was phenomenal no doubt, but since the UK he's struggling. We shouldn't forget the ankle problem obivously which affected him in the first rounds but atm he's just too much missing in my eyes. It could be just a bad spell of course. We'll see it. That's why I said, WC will show the true current Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Postby TheRocket

Skullman wrote:I think Robbo can be quite Selby-like when he wants, but no one does it like the original.

Robbo just doesn't have this aura of a Comeback- king. That's why it doesn't feel the same and I think, Selby at his best is a better safety player than Robbo, probably second best of all time after peak Higgins in terms of safety play.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

CoC:

UK:

Masters:

COC was phenomenal no doubt, but since the UK he's struggling. We shouldn't forget the ankle problem obivously which affected him in the first rounds but atm he's just too much missing in my eyes. It could be just a bad spell of course. We'll see it. That's why I said, WC will show the true current Ronnie O'Sullivan.

That just shows how spoiled we Ronnie fans have become lately rofl
Last edited by Snooker Overdrive on 17 Jan 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Skullman

mantorok wrote:So I guess Ali Carter was right in that Robertson would thrash Ronnie. Must commend Neil rather than putting it all on Ronnie as he was awesome.

Of course. He was no where as good as he was against Carter, but it's hard to replicate that. He still played solid stuff, good safety for the most part and didn't really twitch (well except for one small period in frame 6 but ROS was twitching even worse then and you could argue he was dragging Robbo down).

Postby Andre147

Playin in the CL now for Ronnie <laugh>

That should be nice practice for the German Masters and Welsh Open coming next, I said he would win one of those two so hopefully he wont prove me wrong. I would even like it more if he won in Germany isntead of defending his Welsh crown, germany has that special feeling with that incredible venue and fans. :bowdown:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:Playin in the CL now for Ronnie <laugh>

That should be nice practice for the German Masters and Welsh Open coming next, I said he would win one of those two so hopefully he wont prove me wrong. I would even like it more if he won in Germany isntead of defending his Welsh crown, germany has that special feeling with that incredible venue and fans. :bowdown:

It also more special than the Welsh because it's the place where his big comeback really started. The first time he plays in Berlin since then actually.

Postby Andre147

A word for GJ, your man played wonderful, without hitting top gear, but he didnt have too, Ronnie was all over the place today and since that missed black in frame 2 and not winning frame 3 he never recovered.

Robbo has this title in the Bag now, Allen or Murphy wont beat him over 19 frames. I would love Allen to do it, but he wont.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:And he doesn't have a bad draw either, no Trump or Robbo in his half of the draw there.

Selby? <laugh>

He has Mavis first round if I'm not mistaken, then possibly Perry next.

Postby TheRocket

Yeah, we're spoiled atm SO ;) but Ronnie's responsible for that with all of his current success.
But I mean, it's him who's saying that he isn't playing as good as he does 18 months ago and he's right in my eyes. I remember the WC 2013, especially the matches against Bingham and Hawkins.

It was a different class, I'm sure, you remember it as well. As long as he's winning tournaments, we all can't complain yes but to win the WC I think, he needs to go back to that 2013 mode.