Topic locked

Re: Dafabet Masters S Finals :Ronnie O'Sullivan v Neil Rober

Postby Andre147

You're right about that, lots of pages Ronnie wins, but even if he doesnt at least the usual fanboys will comentate until the match is finished so the lots of pages thing might not be a good indication.

Anyway, I'm hoping for CoC remake, which was also best of 11 and also a semi-final, Robbo had also beat Ali previously aswell.

Should be a great match, about time these two met in another big match, I also think they get along very well off table, especially after Ronnie's brilliant interview with him at Ronnie show.

Postby PLtheRef

Can see this following a pattern like Ronnie's UK Semi-Final with Bingham. Robertson will forge ahead in the early frames, may be lead 3-1 or 4-2 before the lion stirrs and O'Sullivan wins 6-4 or 6-5

Postby Andre147

PLtheRef wrote:Can see this following a pattern like Ronnie's UK Semi-Final with Bingham. Robertson will forge ahead in the early frames, may be lead 3-1 or 4-2 before the lion stirrs and O'Sullivan wins 6-4 or 6-5

Dont care how he wins as long as Ronnie wins. My bet is that it may follow the pattern of their CoC meeting, Ronnie forged 5-3 ahead, Robbo leveled at 5 all only for Ronnie to hit a brilliant ton to win the match :-D

As I said, I take any pattern as long as it means a Ronnie win.

Postby TheRocket

Skullman wrote:Bingo froze up because he saw the winning line, as he had never been in a winning position in a major semi. Robbo is much more comfortable in this situation and that shouldn't be a problem.

It wasn't like as if Bingo choked though. His biggest mistake was when he missed the pink early on in the break when he was 5:4 ahead but it was a difficult ball. And after that he didn't really get a shot.

In the decider Ronnie obviously took an all or nothing shot and got it. You can always say that Bingo should have made less mistakes but you can't really say that Bingo bottled that match. And just remember the year before when Bingo played like a god against Robertson in the semis to make a superb comeback before Robertson just and really just got over the line in the decider.

But nevertheless, you're right of course if you say that Robertson is more comfortable in a major semi than Bingo is and if Ronnie was 4:1 behind against Robertson I surely would be more worried than if it was against Bingo.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:He was awful from 4-1 to 4-4, and ROS wasn't much better, and really should've been sent home at that point.

That match is history now and Robbo is no Bingo so like TR said if he finds himself 4-1 up the winning line wont scare him and Ronnie would have to play superbly well to beat him if that happened.

A lot will be decided on who has the better safety and who can knock the most long balls and make frame winning chances from there. Ronnie has to apply almost the same tactics as he does against Trump.

Postby Cannonball

This really deserves to be the final. We have the most gifted player v. the hardest working, most technically brilliant player. Any player out there should watch this match for very good reasons:

- Learning how to break-build the Ronnie and Robbo way
- Learning the importance of a good set-up to pot those long balls the Robbo way
- Learning safety off the masters
- Learning the importance of never giving in and being mentally tough

It deserves to be a close match. I think Ronnie gets on with Robbo as he sees the quality in Robbo's game. There is much to admire. His foot in line and use of dominant eye is key to his pot success. But his left foot slightly forward, parallel to his anchor foot is also an important aspect. This corrects body alignment and makes possible a rifle like view down the cue. If his left foot pointed out towards ten 0'clock, this view would be compromised. MJW used a similar stance and he was a brilliant long potter in his day as well.

I will watch this match with great technical glee. <laugh>

And already, it's generating page counts, people are excited by this match, they aren't too bothered about Perry today. <laugh> They're commentating because it is the real test for Robbo, playing the Genius, and vice-versa.

Postby Cannonball

masterdoctorgenius wrote:Ronnie has never lost a masters semi final!!!

He hasn't played one aged 39 either, out of practice and match practice, as he claims. I take nothing for granted, it's so close between these two. This match could set an incredible standard, the one visit frame winning stuff we love. Can it top the CoC final for quality? I think it could come close. They will both practice hard for this one. It's gonna be full on. Magic!

Postby Cannonball

Hendry has been saying things to his BBC pals again - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/30841533

O'Sullivan has won 27 ranking events so far, but Hendry feels there is a lack of competition for 'The Rocket'.

"I think there's only Ronnie out there that's playing to a standard," he said. "He's very, very far above the players that are playing.

How bloody insulting to Ronnie and all the other players on circuit. Hendry could never pot the balls Robbo and Trump pot, he couldn't pot the balls MJW potted. See that red down the rail and deep screw that Robbo potted yesterday, Hendry couldn't play that shot in a million lifetimes. He never had the cue power. Yes Hendry, come back to the Worlds, take the place Uncle Baz has kindly reserved for you. We'd love to see how brilliant you are. rofl

This is a guy who won 7 world titles when all he had to compete against was Davis, Jimmy in the clouds and Parrot. Try competing against Higgins, MJW, Ebdon, Trump, Robbo, Ding in their prime the way Ronnie has. Oh, you couldn't! rofl

He's obviously having problems accepting that the Genius is the greatest ever. Have a chat with Davis, you're not coping well son.

Unless Islanders agree with Hendry that the standard isn't there in snooker anymore and Ronnie has an easy ride?

Well?

Postby SnookerFan

Cannonball wrote:

He hasn't played one aged 39 either, out of practice and match practice, as he claims. I take nothing for granted, it's so close between these two. This match could set an incredible standard, the one visit frame winning stuff we love. Can it top the CoC final for quality? I think it could come close. They will both practice hard for this one. It's gonna be full on. Magic!

He won the UK in December. And the COC before that. How can't be that short of match practice.

Besides, he took a year out and won the worlds. I wouldn't worry.

Postby Andre147

Clara8633 wrote:I really hope Robbo wins this. If not, then hopefully the other finalist will beat ROS (unlikely), because I don't want to see the winner of the CoC & UK win the Masters too.

If it were Selby winning CoC and UK you wouldnt mind him winning this one too would you :john:

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Cannonball wrote:

He won the UK in December. And the COC before that. How can't be that short of match practice.

Besides, he took a year out and won the worlds. I wouldn't worry.

He Likes to look for excuses he can use if Ronnie loses.

Postby Andre147

SO, how you do you see this one going? A bit similar to their CoC meeting which was also Best of 11?

I think in order to beat Robbo, Ronnie has to apply almost the same tactics as he usually does against Trump, but Robbo has a better safety game has to be said.