Topic locked

Re: Dafabet Masters S Finals :Ronnie O'Sullivan v Neil Rober

Postby Andre147

Roland wrote:Selby beat him in the biggest match of the year, Judd pushed him in 2 finals and had him seriously scared in the second which he nearly lost, Robertson has just spanked him. It's a new kind of pressure for Ronnie to deal with. Let's just see how he deals with it. It's only Robbo, Selby and Judd who have him in their sights at the moment but Ding isn't far off. Ronnie won't go on winning forever although he'll always be there or thereabouts.

Ok that's more like it <ok> Change of the guard or not, fact is Ronnie will still be around winning titles and he'll beat the likes of Judd, Selby and Robbo again. Ding needs to ovecome that mental thing he has v Ronnie, hopefully he wont :-D

But Ronnie has always been under pressure in his career so this is nothing new. May be a different kind of pressure, but Ronnie is well aware of it, his post-match reaction just shows it.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Roland wrote:How long before Ronnie stops being considered the best player in the world and simply one of the big four or six alongside Robbo, Selby, Ding, Judd and dare I say it, Murphy? Robbo and Selby have his measure at this moment in time, Judd will be next and if Ding has one good win over him in a big match then all of a sudden Ronnie will be "in decline" to coin a phrase. Of course he'll still be brilliant if he lives to be 80+ but the results since the World Final are starting to hint that a natural changing of the guard is taking place.

Who is the best player in the world then? :wave:

Robbo beats Ronnie for the first time since 2010 in a meaningful match and now he has his measure?

Selby has his own problems to deal with at the moment I think, like getting to the stages where he can play Ronnie.

Ding isn't having the best season either.

Ronnie is the most consistent performer out there and he has been for quite some time now. He'll probably become World No. 1 again during this season.

Roland wrote:It's not a case of wanting it or not, stop being so sensitive. It is happening. I'm not saying Ronnie won't win another big event but it certainly appears that his days of prolific winning are numbered. He now has to deal with the pressure of players not being scared of beating him any more.

Selby and Robbo aren't scared true but they never were. That can't be said about the other top players though.

Postby TheRocket

Roland wrote:Selby beat him in the biggest match of the year, Judd pushed him in 2 finals and had him seriously scared in the second which he nearly lost, Robertson has just spanked him. It's a new kind of pressure for Ronnie to deal with. Let's just see how he deals with it. It's only Robbo, Selby and Judd who have him in their sights at the moment but Ding isn't far off. Ronnie won't go on winning forever although he'll always be there or thereabouts.

Players like Higgins, Robertson, Selby and Judd have always been players who were not afraid of playing him, even when Ronnie was playing like a god, so this match today hasn't changed anything about Ronnies reputation.

I mean, he knows better than we do that he won't win matches against Selby and Robertson with his fear factor alone.
He just has to produce good Snooker and today he hasn't. That's it.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Ronnie has been pushed a hundred times before in the past by giants like Stephen Hendry, John Higgins and Paul Hunter. Being pushed by the likes of Selby, Robertson and Trump is nothing new for him. Ok, he's getting older, but at 39 years old he's still just as good as anyone out there and still winning tournaments.

Postby Andre147

Holden Chinaski wrote:Ronnie has been pushed a hundred times before in the past by giants like Stephen Hendry, John Higgins and Paul Hunter. Being pushed by the likes of Selby, Robertson and Trump is nothing new for him. Ok, he's getting older, but at 39 years old he's still just as good as anyone out there and still winning tournaments.

Exactly, couldnt agree more.

He wont be around forever, but he's still the best player by a country mile when at his best, and this season has won 2 Big titles already and hopefully he'll win one or two more, ideally Worlds of course.

Postby vodkadiet

Clara8633 wrote:I've just seen the score :shock:

Glad to see Robbo in the final, can't believe he beat ROS 6-1! Didn't some people (*cough* Cannonball and Cloudstrife) say that being a vegan has affected Robbo's game?

Now a Robertson v Murphy final would be nice :)

Lots of carnists just don't like Vegans and like to make disparaging remarks as they don't understand the concept of 'humans not being the world'. I have had it for 2 decades now. I just laugh at their stupidity.

I am not sure Robertson is a dietary Vegan for ethical reasons, it seems more for health reasons. However, he is getting a few more people interested in an alternative way of eating, and maybe other aspects of Veganism.

In a few hundred years time I hope the human race would have evolved beyond needlessly slaughtering animals for no reason.

Postby vodkadiet

Skullman wrote:Food is a reason.

You're right. Selfish people put their taste buds ahead of the extreme suffering of other beings. Humans are fundamentally a very selfish species.

There is a difference between food (fruit, vegetables, nuts, grains etc.) and violence (murdered, dismembered, innocent animals).

Postby vodkadiet

sundaygirl wrote:Neil refers to a plant based diet when asked, avoiding the term vegan.
So I don't think it an ethical thing, true Veganism is a lifestyle choice it's much more than just the food.

Yes, plant based diet is a more accurate description in Robertson's case. However, quite a few people on plant based diets have become animal activists(Vegans).

Postby vodkadiet

Skullman wrote:And it's the always the same person bringing them into the conversion out of the blue :chin:

It isn't out of the blue. I am here to talk about snooker. However, the likes of Cannonball and Cloudstrife like to make mocking comments about plant based diets. Have a look at the O'Sullivan vs Fu thread.

I have spent far too much time talking to people about Veganism, and I prefer to talk about snooker. If it doesn't get mentioned in a negative way, then I won't reply.

This is a snooker forum.

Postby Skullman

Fair enough, I wasn't around for ROS v Fu.

I personally don't think the new diet is helping Robbo right now, but maybe it will add some longevity to his game, which I think he needs (he started snooker much later in life than some others, and I think he's only just reached his peak now in his early 30s rather than mid/late 20s as is usual). Can't do him any harm anyway. Plus I respect him for being willing to make sacrifices to win.

Postby vodkadiet

Skullman wrote:Fair enough, I wasn't around for ROS v Fu.

I personally don't think the new diet is helping Robbo right now, but maybe it will add some longevity to his game, which I think he needs (he started snooker much later in life than some others, and I think he's only just reached his peak now in his early 30s rather than mid/late 20s as is usual). Can't do him any harm anyway. Plus I respect him for being willing to make sacrifices to win.

Snooker isn't a sport where a plant based diet should make a difference, but I cannot be sure. It certainly helps marathon runners, triathletes, and cyclists. Endurance is crucial in these sports.

At The Crucible endurance is vital, so many a plant based diet helps, even though it isn't a physical sport.

I only advocate humans become Vegan for ethical reasons, but any publicity is good publicity.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:

Snooker isn't a sport where a plant based diet should make a difference, but I cannot be sure. It certainly helps marathon runners, triathletes, and cyclists. Endurance is crucial in these sports.

At The Crucible endurance is vital, so many a plant based diet helps, even though it isn't a physical sport.

I only advocate humans become Vegan for ethical reasons, but any publicity is good publicity.

It isn't easy though. I have considered it but I think it would take me quite a while to get used to a new diet regime and not being able to eat the things I normally do. Neverhteless, I may be young but for instance I dont eat crap food like in McDonalds and stuff, because a lot of people with my age do eat it almost every week. pmsl

Postby vodkadiet

Andre147 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

It isn't easy though. I have considered it but I think it would take me quite a while to get used to a new diet regime and not being able to eat the things I normally do. Neverhteless, I may be young but for instance I dont eat crap food like in McDonaIt lds and stuff, because a lot of people with my age do eat it almost every week. pmsl

It isn't easy at all. I stopped eating meat at 15 because I saw the faces of those who were about to be killed. It broke my heart more than any woman has ever done.

I believe you are from Portugal Andre? That is the most meat eating country in the world. I cannot criticise, especially if you are young. I had a Portuguese girlfriend 15 years ago who couldn't understand how I never ate meat. It is cultural as well as ethical.

If people have intelligence and a good heart they can see Veganism as a good thing. I have a duty to spread the word while I am still here on Earth. Veganism is my religion. It is a religion that is real, unlike Christianity, Islam, Sikhism, Judaism, Hinduism. which is all bull.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

It isn't easy though. I have considered it but I think it would take me quite a while to get used to a new diet regime and not being able to eat the things I normally do. Neverhteless, I may be young but for instance I dont eat crap food like in McDonaIt lds and stuff, because a lot of people with my age do eat it almost every week. pmsl

It isn't easy at all. I stopped eating meat at 15 because I saw the faces of those who were about to be killed. It broke my heart more than any woman has ever done.

I believe you are from Portugal Andre? That is the most meat eating country in the world. I cannot criticise, especially if you are young. I had a Portuguese girlfriend 15 years ago who couldn't understand how I never ate meat. It is cultural as well as ethical.

If people have intelligence and a good heart they can see Veganism as a good thing. I have a duty to spread the word while I am still here on Earth. Veganism is my religion. It is a religion that is real, unlike Christianity, Islam, Sikhism, Judaism, Hinduism. which is all bull.

Portuguese yes, and youre absolutely right it's a cultural and ethical thing, when I go to a party or have family appointments or just chill out with friends if I didnt eat meat I basically wouldnt have anything to eat at that time <laugh> But you forget the fish is also very very big part of our diet, we have some of the best chefs in the whole world who cook fish like you wouldn't imagine. I prefer Fish to Meat, so I suppose that's a good start because fish brings you a lot of vitamins that the meat doesnt.

Postby vodkadiet

Andre

Try to buy the fish that aren't aren't factory farmed. Many are these days. There is good labelling n the UK. When I went to Portugal I couldn't get a Vegan meal! Lol!

Anyway, let's talk about today's final.

Robertson has too much tactical nous for Murphy.

I

Postby Andre147

Just finishing that subject, things have changed a lot since you came here (15 years ago was it?) and now you can definately have a Vegan meal, and I know how to choose my fish so yeah I almost never buy factory farmed.

Regarding the Final, Murphy's safety game has improved a lot in recent years (despite GJ saying otherwise <laugh> ) but Robbo's is obviously better and that could be a deciding factor. Murphy will have to rely in his long potting to get in, Robbo too but to a lesser extent.

It's vital that Murphy gets off to a nice start I think, if he doesnt I wouldnt rule out a runaway vicoty for Robbo. Many Masters Finals down the years had all the making of being close ones and many ended up not being so.

Postby vodkadiet

Andre147 wrote:Just finishing that subject, things have changed a lot since you came here (15 years ago was it?) and now you can definately have a Vegan meal, and I know how to choose my fish so yeah I almost never buy factory farmed.

Regarding the Final, Murphy's safety game has improved a lot in recent years (despite GJ saying otherwise <laugh> ) but Robbo's is obviously better and that could be a deciding factor. Murphy will have to rely in his long potting to get in, Robbo too but to a lesser extent.

It's vital that Murphy gets off to a nice start I think, if he doesnt I wouldnt rule out a runaway vicoty for Robbo. Many Masters Finals down the years had all the making of being close ones and many ended up not being so.

Yes, 1999, I was In your country Andre I loved it there, and most of the women are so beautiful, unlike Britain!

Robertson is a class above Murphy. Murphy is playing better than he was but e is still naïve on a tactical level and Robertson will find him out.

Postby Clara8633

vodkadiet wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Just finishing that subject, things have changed a lot since you came here (15 years ago was it?) and now you can definately have a Vegan meal, and I know how to choose my fish so yeah I almost never buy factory farmed.

Yes, 1999, I was In your country Andre I loved it there, and most of the women are so beautiful, unlike Britain!

Robertson is a class above Murphy. Murphy is playing better than he was but e is still naïve on a tactical level and Robertson will find him out.

Wow, that was the year I was born lol.