Topic locked

Re: Dafabet Masters S Finals :Ronnie O'Sullivan v Neil Rober

Postby Skullman

Andre147 wrote:
Skullman wrote:I'm going to bring this up again, but maybe ROS is in decline? Note: I've been thinking this for a while, not just being reactionary, just waiting for him to lose.

Despite his great play in the CoC, he has been getting more inconsistent and been relying on his matchplay more rather than deadly long potting and precise position, like Higgins in his later years.

Not you Skull rofl Many were saying decline after Ronnie lost to MJW at IC and Ronnie proved them wrong.

Ronnie loves to rpove people wrong so he'll do t again. <ok>

I've Higgins was considered in decline in 2011, despite winning lots because he couldn't play his old game anymore and was relying more on his experience and matchplay than his sheer ability. Looking at that, you could say about Ronnie. He does put in the odd performance when he's spectacular but he seems to be play a lot more ordinarily now and he has been breakbuilding less than he used since the Worlds at least. I'm not saying he won't win, just that performances like that will be more common from now.

PS I've been thinking this since midway through the UK where he was distinctly Higgins-like.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:That's just snooker. Ronnie couldn't get a foothold and Robbo was unplayable.

Ronnie can't win them all.

We should be realistic. As much as I respect Robbo as a player and praise him for that performance today but he wasn't unplayable. Ronnie had very very good chances in every single frame but missed them. It wasn't sublime Snooker by Robertson but great matchplay overall.

It wasn't yes but he took his chances well.

2nd and 3rd frames the key moments in the match.

It looked set for Ronnie to go 1-1 but a stupid missed black cost him, and Robbo dod well to make the clearance. But even after losing that frame, Ronnie had a good chance to be 2-1 down and that would mean right back in the match as he often does, I fancied him for that clearance but he was just gone by then. he made it 3-1 with a ton but the damage was already done by losing frames 2 and 3.

of course first frame after MSI proved vital, but Ronnie too had a chance to be 4-2 down but yet again couldnt take it, had he done so who knows, Robbo might have felt the pressure.

Nevermind, I would love if Ronnie won one more title before Worlds and equal Davis 28 rankers, maybe defend his Welsh Open who knows as that would set him very nicely for Worlds.

Robbo did what he had to do and better player won, simple as that. Ronnie will bounce back after this, so not hugely disappointed.

Postby Skullman

NNear wrote:Well skullman, Ronnie hasn't been in the form he'd like to be in for the last three Triple Crown events in a row now, so certainly if not decline as such then his peak may have ended as that's a long time to not produce your best stuff in those biggest events. He did manage to win one of them though so he can win these things but he looks more ordinary at the moment and has done for a long time, rather than looking head and shoulders above the rest. Despite him producing incredible stuff at the CoC, I tend to use form at the biggest events as the benchmark.

That's what I meant. His best seem to be less frequent and he's had some really poor matches recently and getting by with just his aura. But if he keeps losing, that aura will fade, just like Higgins's did.

Postby Cannonball

Just in from the club. Robbo has played as close to perfect snooker this week as anyone can. Superb technique and stance, better than Ronnie's technique and probably only equaled by the similar technique of Trump. Over the shorter matches, their set-up works a treat, far more accurate. Over longer matches, the begin to lose some accuracy because that set-up is pretty tiring on the knees and back. Ronnie's set-up is built for comfort, effortless playing and long matches. Each to their own, advantages in both. We've seen the foot-in-line set up that changed snooker from the 80s, and this foot in line and other foot forward (hybrid stance) has changed body alignment again, allowing better sighting using the dominant eye and increased power on the shot. Is this set-up and technique the future? We shall see at the Worlds when Trump and Robbo do battle.

Hendry said yesterday that only Ronnie had a 'standard'. I hope he feels silly today, because there isn't much in it anymore, the players are so close and it comes down to form for me. Ronnie is off colour, and it happens, just as it happened to Robbo at the UK. This is a very competitive era, not far off the Ronnie/Higgins/MJW domination. As Robbo/Trump/Ding/Murphy take hold of snooker, I think we are assured of some real treats in terms of dogfight matches. Unlike the 90s, when Hendry didn't really have a competitor, this era is competitive and it's the start of World snooker proper.

Postby TheRocket

Wildey wrote:To be fair Skull Ronnie still plays to a much higher standard now than Higgins did in 2011

At the UK he played Higgins-like but there was the ankle problem which affected him. But as I said. The WC will be the key.

It's all about the WC for Ronnie now. He said that he believes, that he has to play more. Well, he should do it. Entering the Champions League was a right choice.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wildey wrote:To be fair Skull Ronnie still plays to a much higher standard now than Higgins did in 2011

People act like Ronnie never missed a shot between 2001 and 2008 rofl

Ronnie always was VERY up and down, even at the majors. That's why he hasn't won more.

Nowadays he isn't letting frustration get to him that cost him loads of matches in the past but that doesn't mean he'll win every match. Especially against the World No.1 playing his A-game.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:

At the UK he played Higgins-like but there was the ankle problem which affected him. But as I said. The WC will be the key.

It's all about the WC for Ronnie now. He said that he believes, that he has to play more. Well, he should do it. Entering the Champions League was a right choice.

It's not ALL about the worlds you know... I would love if Ronnie won another ranker before Worlds, he would Davis 28 rankers and that would set him very nicely by then. If he doesnt win anything it may prove a bit harder. I hope he wins either german masters and/or Welsh open.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:I'm only comparing 2012-2014 Ronnie to the Ronnie of this season. Anyway, I'm just putting it out there. If he plays well in Berlin and Wales, I'll eat my words.

I'm making a bold statment right here:

Ronnie will win one of those 2 <ok> If he doesnt you can then quote me on this <ok>

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

It's not ALL about the worlds you know... I would love if Ronnie won another ranker before Worlds, he would Davis 28 rankers and that would set him very nicely by then. If he doesnt win anything it may prove a bit harder. I hope he wins either german masters and/or Welsh open.

At this point it is Andre. He's 39 now, and still playing strong stuff. Winning a Welsh Open or China Open is great, but winning World is another thing, especially after losing last years final. He can prove that he's still the best even at this point, not to mention that he would equal the Nugget.

Postby NNear

Well your claim that Ronnie is declining is probably less outrageous than my claim that Selby will decline soon, which I still stand by on balance. I agree anyway, Ronnie is out of peak mode.. so I guess the question is will he fall below competitive mode and go the way of Higgins or will he be a genuine contender for a long time -- I think the latter.

Postby Cannonball

At the end of the day, no-one has ever played to this standard ages 39. So for Ronnie to make the semis, not bad. For him to win tournaments, outstanding. He's still got it, though it's harder for him now and he's admitted that. Age catches up with everyone. There are players the same age like Higgins playing tripe and even younger players like Selby playing utter rubbish.

Postby Andre147

NNear wrote:Well your claim that Ronnie is declining is probably less outrageous than my claim that Selby will decline soon, which I still stand by on balance. I agree anyway, Ronnie is out of peak mode.. so I guess the question is will he fall below competitive mode and go the way of Higgins or will he be a genuine contender for a long time -- I think the latter.

As long as Ronnie keeps winning 1 or 2 rankers per season I'll be happy, ok Worlds would be so much better but he has nothing left to prove.

As I said, if he keeps winning 1 or 2 rankers over the next 2 or 3 seasons that will be great.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Like Andre said yesterday this defeat could be a blessing in disguise. There's now slightly less pressure on Ronnie in the next couple of events and especially the Worlds.

If Ronnie had won this I would be 100% vertain he would win the Final.

Wasnt meant to be, so Murphy or Allen wont have what it takes to beat Robbo over 19 frames.

I would absolutely love if Allen won this Masters, but his chances are about 15 to 20% for me.

Postby mantorok

Skullman wrote:I wonder if the pressure is getting to him more these days? He played similarly to this in the early stages of his match against Bingo, only Stuart let him off the hook at 4-1 and Neil didn't.

I think the the pressure is getting to him. Every tournament win is now essentially on borrowed time and he's started racking up records. Understandable really.

Postby Cannonball

NNear wrote:Well your claim that Ronnie is declining is probably less outrageous than my claim that Selby will decline soon, which I still stand by on balance. I agree anyway, Ronnie is out of peak mode.. so I guess the question is will he fall below competitive mode and go the way of Higgins or will he be a genuine contender for a long time -- I think the latter.

:spot on:

Yep, Selby is declining and he wasn't the most talented player to begin with. Ronnie gave him the Worlds and Robbo should have been in that final anyway. It was bizarre. Selby started declining when he lost the no.1 spot and he's shown no sign of getting back to the standard he had 3 years ago.

Postby Cannonball

Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Like Andre said yesterday this defeat could be a blessing in disguise. There's now slightly less pressure on Ronnie in the next couple of events and especially the Worlds.

If Ronnie had won this I would be 100% vertain he would win the Final.

Wasnt meant to be, so Murphy or Allen wont have what it takes to beat Robbo over 19 frames.

I would absolutely love if Allen won this Masters, but his chances are about 15 to 20% for me.

Allen winning the Masters would be very disappointing given that he's played horlicks all week. It would be fitting if the man in terrific form won it.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Yesterday Ronnie was on a winning streak of 15 matches in of the toughest periods of the snooker season, a day later he doesn't cut it anymore.

Brilliant :-D

That says it all about some people on here pmsl

After MJW he also was on inevitable decline wasnt he rofl

Ronnie will prove them wrong again and I made a bold statment that Ronnie will win either German Masters or Welsh Open

Postby mantorok

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Yesterday Ronnie was on a winning streak of 15 matches in of the toughest periods of the snooker season, a day later he doesn't cut it anymore.

Brilliant :-D

You have to admit SO he was a little exposed today. But yeah you're right one bad day does not meab he's finished lol