Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Quarter Finals : Joe Perry v Mark Allen

Postby Vallomas

Allen won despite a rubbish performance and that shows that Perry was not ready (again) for this kind of match.

I think that Joe felt like he has done his job after beating Ding and that explains why he was so nervous during today's match. He should have been free from stress after his first win at Masters, but he showed the opposite! I still can't believe it.

It's a fact that some players don't really have the mentality to get over their limits...

Postby Andre147

mantorok wrote:Well hopefully that was the low-point of the tournament, should be uphill from now on.

According to Wild it was a very exciting match <laugh> pmsl

Like SO says, glad that rubbish is over, Allen will have to play a lot better in semis but I think he will. This just proves though that for me if Ronnie beats Robbo I'l be very very surprised if he doesnt win the tournament, even if Allen reaches the Final, he wont have what it takes to beat Ronnie or Robbo for that matter, as he's just proved in his 2 Big finals this season.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:
mantorok wrote:Well hopefully that was the low-point of the tournament, should be uphill from now on.

Like SO says, glad that rubbish is over, Allen will have to play a lot better in semis but I think he will. This just proves though that for me if Ronnie beats Robbo I'l be very very surprised if he doesnt win the tournament, even if Allen reaches the Final, he wont have what it takes to beat Ronnie or Robbo for that matter, as he's just proved in his 2 Big finals this season.

you see im a proper Snooker fan that likes all types of Snooker and Matches unlike some.

yes it was poor standard but after 9 frames you still did not have a clue who would win for me that is the definition of a exciting match not how many centuries and 50+ break are made.

Postby mantorok

Wildey wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

you see im a proper Snooker fan that likes all types of Snooker and Matches unlike some.

yes it was poor standard but after 9 frames you still did not have a clue who would win for me that is the definition of a exciting match not how many centuries and 50+ break are made.

I can totally understand that, I watched it out of interest just to see who would get through and how.

I guess some of us like to marvel at a skilful performance over a sloppy one.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

lol I too am a proper Snooker dan but there's a difference between a match that has long bouts of safety play but the tactics are played to a great standard and between a match like this where both players at times looked like amateurs. Sory but that isnt exciting, and I like all types of matches, whether it has break after brak or long safety exchanges, it doesnt matter, but this kind of match clearly isnt pleasing on the eye.

Hell, even Allen post-match was saying he thought some people would be leaving the arena after the first 4 frames. It definately wasnt an enjoyable match.

Postby Wildey

The Problem is here today fans are being spoiled with the excellence of play that a match like that is a shock to the system.

When i started watching in the 80s that was how frames and matches went and i find it exhilarating and exciting having the odd match like that.

Postby Cannonball

It's not the 80s, Rex Williams isn't knocking in those 16 breaks in your memory. This is 2014, and snooker has gone through at least 3 revolutions. Watching donkey doo isn't what snooker is about and if the game is to grow and prosper it will be precisely because of players like Ronnie, Robbo and Trump. There is no hope for nyone who thinks rubbish like that is acceptable and even exciting, I feel sorry for them.

If I want to watch donkey doo I can plug into livestream any day and watch a tussle of rubbish, local league, money league, pub league, etc. This is the Masters so real fans like Andre will desire more. The pinnacle of the sport shouldn't be about donkey doo. There we go, it happens sometimes. Mostly, the week has been high quality, so we should be thankful for that. Trump and Ding going out has robbed us of at least two great matches, but nevermind, they were well off form.

I feel sorry for Perry, he is far too nice a person for the cut and thrust of competitive sport at this level and he lacks the ego and confidence of others. A real shame because he can really play well, just ask anyone from SWSA. I really thought he'd stepped up this time. He was frustrated with his own game and rightly so, he's chucked two frames away, and he could have won this one by potting just a few extra balls at the right time. :-(

Postby Holden Chinaski

Cannonball wrote:It's not the 80s, Rex Williams isn't knocking in those 16 breaks in your memory. This is 2014, and snooker has gone through at least 3 revolutions. Watching donkey doo isn't what snooker is about and if the game is to grow and prosper it will be precisely because of players like Ronnie, Robbo and Trump. There is no hope for nyone who thinks rubbish like that is acceptable and even exciting, I feel sorry for them.

If I want to watch donkey doo I can plug into livestream any day and watch a tussle of rubbish, local league, money league, pub league, etc. This is the Masters so real fans like Andre will desire more. The pinnacle of the sport shouldn't be about donkey doo. There we go, it happens sometimes. Mostly, the week has been high quality, so we should be thankful for that. Trump and Ding going out has robbed us of at least two great matches, but nevermind, they were well off form.

I feel sorry for Perry, he is far too nice a person for the cut and thrust of competitive sport at this level and he lacks the ego and confidence of others. A real shame because he can really play well, just ask anyone from SWSA. I really thought he'd stepped up this time. He was frustrated with his own game and rightly so, he's chucked two frames away, and he could have won this one by potting just a few extra balls at the right time. :-(

Good post!

Postby Cannonball

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Cannonball wrote:It's not the 80s, Rex Williams isn't knocking in those 16 breaks in your memory. This is 2014, and snooker has gone through at least 3 revolutions. Watching donkey doo isn't what snooker is about and if the game is to grow and prosper it will be precisely because of players like Ronnie, Robbo and Trump. There is no hope for nyone who thinks rubbish like that is acceptable and even exciting, I feel sorry for them.

Good post!

:hatoff:

Postby Cannonball

SnookerFan wrote:I paid £20 to watch that rubbish. :grrr:

Oy! You watched an old skool snooker match, you should be grateful apparently! rofl I've just read that according to wild yesterdays matches were a waste of a ticket fee and petrol. Because there is no way you would have swapped today's match for Robbo last night is there mate? rofl

Postby Cannonball

SnookerFan wrote:The highlight of my day was that I said hello to those girls with the colourful hair.

The goth snooker fans? rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:The highlight of my day was that I said hello to those girls with the colourful hair.

Did you ask them about their colourful hair and how - the one always sitting on the right - has the time to make it even more colourful every day while also attending all the sessions? <laugh>

No.

I told them I had seen them on TV, and asked if they were enjoying themselves.

This was their second tournament, they'd been to the CoC. They are happy to have seen a 147. I bragged I'd seen one at The Crucible I didn't bother to ask their names, I'd only forget.

Later I walked past where they were sitting. Barry Hearn was on the screening chatting some rubbish about The Crucible. I told them they should go. They smiled awkwardly.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

SnookerFan wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Did you ask them about their colourful hair and how - the one always sitting on the right - has the time to make it even more colourful every day while also attending all the sessions? <laugh>

No.

This was their second tournament, they'd been to the CoC. They are happy to have seen a 147. I bragged I'd seen one at The Crucible I didn't bother to ask their names, I'd only forget.

Later I walked past where they were sitting. Barry Hearn was on the screening chatting some rubbish about The Crucible. I told them they should go. They smiled awkwardly.

You handled that like a boss :bowdown:

Postby SnookerFan

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

No.

You handled that like a boss :bowdown:

I assume they're still thinking about me now.

Postby Wildey

I Know its not the 80s you idiot that doesn't mean i still like 100 bucking breaks every bucking match that's boring as rubbish.

Sometimes i like matches where everything is hard work.

you havent a bucking clue about snooker or what made snooker a success so don't bucking start to try.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote:

I Know its not the 80s you idiot that doesn't mean i still like 100 bucking breaks every bucking match that's boring as rubbish.

Sometimes i like matches where everything is hard work.

you havent a bucking clue about snooker or what made snooker a success so don't bucking start to try.

What made snooker a success is players like Alex Higgins, Jimmy White and Ronnie O'Sullivan. These are the players who sell tickets and snooker would not be half as popular without these guys.

It's funny, your a Stephen Hendry fan aren't you Wild? Yet you say you dont like century breaks all the time... Knocking in century after century is all Stephen used to do.
I love safety battles, but only when it's of the highest standard. I don't like watching two players play their C game, especially at The Masters.

Postby Wildey

No What made snooker a success was seeing those players playing the game surrounded by players that couldn't match them for style, speed or brilliant play.

I Enjoy watching that type of match sometimes where players find everything hard and then you learn to appreciate more when the matches are flowing and players are making things look easy.

if every match was like that there would be a problem but its not and my point was in the 70s and 80s where Snooker's Success started growing you had more of that type of matches than you have today.

so it does snake hiss me off when i see fans today complaining about the type of snooker instead of enjoying it for what it is basically a one off or very infrequent.